Quick, easy high protein breakfasts?

Options
I try to eat a decent amount of protein but the meal that lets me down is breakfast. At the weekend it's fine, I'll have poached eggs or something but during the week when I'm up at 6.20am and out of the house at 7.30am, having the time to have something like that is difficult. I often have a smoothie (homemade) and drink it in the car on the way but that doesn't really work at the moment as I have a shorter drive in the morning and earlier start when I'm on school placement. Does anyone have any suggestions of breakfasts that are quick (both to make and eat) and easy to make in the mornings that have a decent amount of protein?

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The only thing I will have is non-fat greek yogurt, that seems to have the most bang for the buck, as far as protein is concerned, and no fat.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172184-high-protein-breakfast-ideas?hl=protein+breakfasts#posts-2288894

I make "egg muffins" on the weekends and eat them throughout the week; I've heard that you can freeze these. There are a lot of recipes for these here on MFP, just do a search for "egg muffins."
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    My wife is putting chocolate protein powder in her coffee, gives her the caffeine and 25g of protein. Haven't tried vanilla but pretty sure it will taste ok, like french vanilla creamer.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese with fruit :)
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal and a boiled egg most every morning ... just let it boil while I am drying my hair LOL - but really if you want something else planning ahead and making everything like on Sunday and refrigerating it is the way to go....
  • angelialouise
    angelialouise Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    egg beaters in the microwave, actualy not bad, on a whole wheat wrap...protein and less than 200 calories...i get up at 4:15 and get on the treadmill and leave for work at 6:15 keeps me full right up til lunchtime!
  • ccb1128
    Options
    My wife is putting chocolate protein powder in her coffee, gives her the caffeine and 25g of protein. Haven't tried vanilla but pretty sure it will taste ok, like french vanilla creamer.

Can you please tell me what kind of protein powder she uses? I've tried this with a few different kinds and can't seem to find one that dissolves in coffee. Thanks!
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have an egg sandwich most days. I nuke the egg in a bowl for a minute and put it on some wheat bread w/ light mayo.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I eat an english muffin with egg and veggie sausage every day. It's relatively high in protein and less than 300 calories, you can sub turkey sausage for 20 less calories. It takes about 5 minutes to make, I wrap it in foil and eat it at work. You can make it the night before and warm in the microwave before leaving the house and eat it on the way.
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I try to go with either a chobani yogurt (no fat and lots of protein and only 140 calories), a couple of hard boiled eggs but I only eat one or no yolks, or if I have time a slice of whole wheat or multigrain toast with all natural peanut butter (as in the ingredients is one word....peanuts - worth the couple of extra bucks)
  • fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you looking for? What's a good amount for me may be too little for you.

Scrambled eggs are quick, throw in two, mix it up in the pan, pour some Special K protein plus in a bowl with milk, stir them up again, and by the time you're half through with the cereal, they should be done. Finish the cereal, throw the eggs in a whole grain wheat tortilla, and eat the eggs on the way.

You can also make protein heavy breakfast burritos ahead of time, wrap them in foil and refrigerate or freeze them. Eggs, turkey bacon, spinach (if you like it), and whatever other foods you like can all be scrambled together. I'll heat these up and then spoon on a bit of salsa for more flavor.

You can try looking up high protein recipes on allrecipes.com. That's where I go. A while ago my brother in the Army asked me to come up with a high protein muffin, so I'm experimenting with dry:liquid ratios using protein powder and trying to figure how much of the protein will be rendered useless during baking. I talked a bit about this with my husband, who's also in the Army, to figure out how much protein would be best, and he said the more, the better. He's told me some crazy exercise events they do, most of them involving around 300 push ups.
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't really like greek yoghurt much, too sour for my liking and not enough flavour. What do you have with it though?

I'll search for egg muffins, thanks.

My protein powder is strawberry, not sure it would go with coffee! But I like the idea, might think of that next time I order some.

I don't think I could do cottage cheese in the mornings, let alone with fruit! I do like it on ryvita with tomato and black pepper though, yum.

I was thinking about foods that I could make ahead of time and put in the fridge but I couldn't really think of any. I love oatmeal/porridge but I'm not very good with eating it hot and it ends up taking too long to cool down and I end up running late. Maybe I need to just get up 5 mins earlier on porridge days or something. Could maybe try and add some protein powder to up the protein, has anyone tried that before?

For the muffin, what kind of sausage is it? An actual sausage or some kind of slice thing?
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I second the Greek yogurt. I eat mine with an apple. Can't eat and drive, though :)
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie and a boiled egg from the fridge.

Boil half a dozen and peel them, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. Boost your smoothie with some protein powder or quinoa
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon with a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I got the silicon muffin cups, baked a buch of egg muffins on the weeken. I bag them and then grab and go for the work week
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    goggle mug eggs. I use real eggs/laughing cow cheese and sometimes some sort of meat product. It's super easy and with the mug it stays really warm. I have found if you don't stir it up it's great for a bagel as an egg sand. :) Good luck. Also protein drinks I do b/c of my busy mornings.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I make muffin sized crustless quiche with cheese and veggies of choice on the weekends. They can be frozen in baggies of one or two and pulled out of the freezer. By the time I get to the office they are defrosted. A quick warm up in the microwave and protein rich yummy breakfast is served!!!!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I have porridge, not bad on the protein, but also carbs and sugar - don't understand the sugar as its milled oats and thats it, I just add a shake of salt

I also cook it while drying my hair lol