Quick, easy high protein breakfasts?

Options

Replies

• Sherilynn71
    Options
    Greek yogurt can be a bit sour tasting so try putting in some honey and cinnamon...stir it up and enjoy!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 6AM and outta the house at 7:30 and I make time to have a good breakfsat of eggs and peameal...no toast.... get up a bit earlier
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Grab a box of Jimmy Dean Delights... a low calorie version of his usual stuff. Has Egg McMuffin type sandwich either with canadian bacon or turkey sausage. They rock for a grab and go.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    boil and peal eggs in advance. Easy to grab and eat later or in the car.
  • LuaLiz
    LuaLiz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for sure!!!

My trick to make it quicker and easier..

Every Sunday night, I make a MASSIVE pot of steel cut oats. It has actually turned into my hubby's job while I make supper and prep the veggie sticks for the week.

Our recipe:

4 cups of water
    4 cups of milk
    *bring to a boil and then turn the heat to med-low and add:
    2 cups of steel cut oats
    2 mashed bananas
    1/3C wheat germ
    *whisk every couple of minuts for about 20-30 min until cooked (you just don't want it to burn on the bottom)

This pot will then go in our fridge Sunday night and there are enough pre-cooked oats for the 2 of us to eat all week long. :)

As for morning prep, all you have to do is spoon out how much you want (i stick to a cup) and reheat in the microwave for 1:45 then include your add-ins. SO FAST!

For a very high-protein mix, I like to add 1/2 a scoop of my favourite chocolate protein powder to the oats after I re-heat them, along with some freshly sliced strawberries and a few splashes of milk (I like my oats runny and it also helps to cool them down).

And on a day where i'm not craving high-protein i'll add something like fresh berries, cinnamon and walnuts.. or even a spoon of peanut butter.

Oats rock! :)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My wife is putting chocolate protein powder in her coffee, gives her the caffeine and 25g of protein. Haven't tried vanilla but pretty sure it will taste ok, like french vanilla creamer.

Can you please tell me what kind of protein powder she uses? I've tried this with a few different kinds and can't seem to find one that dissolves in coffee. Thanks!

Gold Standard works great for me but I do usually pour it into a small food processor or Ninja since its faster
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Can u drink your shake on the way to work and then once you get to work, make a quick breakfast? Maybe taost with peanut butter and eat it at your desk? We have microwaves, toasters, etc in our kitchen at work. Sometimes I'm running late and will throw all my breakfast and lunch in a bag and just make my breakfast when I get to work. Just a suggestion.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a scoop (or half scoop) of protein powder in it. You can even make it the night before and reheat in the microwave in the morning.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    My wife is putting chocolate protein powder in her coffee, gives her the caffeine and 25g of protein. Haven't tried vanilla but pretty sure it will taste ok, like french vanilla creamer.

Interesting idea! Going to try that.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs! Quick and easy. Holds me over until 10am when I eat a snack. Every Sunday I boil them and put them in a bowl in the fridge for easy grab and go.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I go super easy during the week and have a Pure Protein bar with some of my homemade iced chai tea latte. Gets me @ 25 grams of protein to start the day,
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Interesting idea! Going to try that.

I started putting protein mix in my oatmeal when I have it. I buy the plain kind so the chocolate adds some great flavor
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereals are supposed to have a lot of protein.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein powder and greek yogurt shake with additives like spinach, flaxseed, and frozen fruit. Sometimes I even throw some PB2 in there for a choco-PB shake. It's almost like getting dessert for breakfast. I often have a hard-boiled egg with low-sodium Cavender's seasoning as a snack. Office mates think I'm nutty but it's SO good.

I also do egg recipes on the weekend, but tossing them in the fridge for later that week is a great idea. There are also quite a few other good protein-packed recipes on here that you could probably toss in the fridge for a grab-and-go breakfast throughout the week. Just use the search function. I know there's a super good protein pancake recipe that I was to try this weekend.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Google "egg mug" recipes.

Basically putting an egg or egg sub into a mug then adding veggies and seasoning then microwave.

Also some people make up ziploc bags of eggs/egg sub and their veggies the night before or for the whole week then pull out and microwave or even take the ziploc to work to micro.

Timing may vary, I would say at least cook for a minute, maybe stirring after 30 seconds and go from there but you can always Google for recipes and times!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    I keep a bunch of boiled eggs in the fridge, and pair them in the morning with banana or oatmeal. My favorite is a couple eggs scrambled with laughing cow cheese in a high fiber tortilla, which is still pretty quick and it's a burrito so still take it on the go if gotta.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I do a crustless quiche and it's easy to carve off a piece, I make it with 4 eggs and 4 egg whites (4 servings) but you could also make breakfast tacos ahead of time. I use a tortilla, pre-cooked bacon (40 cals for 2 slices), add scrambled eggs and you can keep them wrapped, add salsa after microwaving.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ooohhh, adding a bit of protein shake to your coffee is SUCH as good idea! Like others posted, I've had a hard time getting the powder to mix with my coffee.

Thanks for the idea!
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Kashi cereals are supposed to have a lot of protein.

Kashi Go Lean has 13 g of protein in 1 cup and then some skim milk for more protein. Comes in at about 250 cal. You'll need a morning snack though.

Personally I like it better than the Go Lean Crunch which has less protein and more calories.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here!

My workweek breakfast: I keep individual packets of plain oatmeal in my desk. I make this in a coffee cup and add in 1 tbsp of peanut butter and chopped up banana. Keeps me full until lunch.