so what's up with 850-900 cals burned in less than an hour

Options
123457»

Replies

• ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Honestly, I'm buying myself a new HR monitor. I do some INTENSE working out, with the same results you are getting! I know I'm only 5 lbs away from my goal and I am in pretty good shape but, come on.....When you run 9-10 miles, you should be able to burn more than 500 calories!
  • imarose6968
    Options
    No, it's not that you aren't giving your all, only you know that. it also has to do with how much you weigh, your age as well as the the exercise you are doing. are you engaging all you body parts as well as the intensity.
  • GirlTenney
    Options
    I agree and the MFP numbers are usually way over the top. I typically take 25-50% off what it recommends if I am not tracking with HRM myself.

Also, soooo many people keep saying they are using the elliptical machines. I find this the most useless workout for HR and therefore cal burn. Not much better than a recline bike! I don't know how you can burn 800 on the thing, I have only even burnt about 200-300 cals on one.

Go for a run or a spin class people - probably the only two things that will burn 600-800. Zumba too I do every now and then and that is definitely 800 cals if you put everything into it.

I have lost 60lbs on my elliptical sooooo ellipticals are great workouts.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    How many calories you burn is dependant upon a lot of things. Most posters have touched on them. People need to understand that the one constant here is the calories. A calorie is a measure of energy. It takes energy to move mass. Moving more mass requires more energy. That's the biggest factor.

Burned calories are not a scoreboard. I burned 955 kcal in 55 min last night. I also weigh 285 lbs, and have my calorie goal set to twice what most people have. It's all relative.
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    On a great day, I burn 800 - 1000 cals, sometimes a little more.
    but that workout includes weights and cardio and I go hardcore for 2 hours.
    Get a hrm!
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Get a hrm!

Read ... I have an HRM. But I am talking about people who burn what you say in under an hour! in 2 hours that can of course be accomplished a little better :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Get a hrm!

Read ... I have an HRM. But I am talking about people who burn what you say in under an hour! in 2 hours that can of course be accomplished a little better :)

I can/have burned 1000 cals mountain biking in an hour. Measured with a Suunto HRM.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do not use a HRM so I am not 100% certain about the numbers. But, I log numbers this high from time to time.

Usually it takes more than an hour. However, my main workouts are Jeet Kune Do & Capoeira. If we are doing any sparring in either class it sends the burn rate through the roof.

Especially in JKD! I bike in the summer, skip rope 6 days per week and hit the tread mill and stationary bike from time to time. Nothing gets the heart rate up like fighting!! Even when it is "light" sparring. After 3 - 4x 3 min rounds I am dripping like a faucet and those days when we do 10 rounds in a class I am exhausted by the end and can barley move my arms or legs.

I will get a HRM one day to verify. Just not sure how long it will last in a fight! :-)
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    says in your profile, you have a personal trainer... so why are you asking US these questions? Talk to your trainer for your best workout options.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered the same thing. My personal favorite are those burning 1,000 calories by "cleaning the house".
  • alikrorp225
    alikrorp225 Posts: 54
    Options
    I just began using MFP this week. I think your best bet is to take what others are doing in stride, realizing we are all different. I use the same thought process for this as I do in school.(I'm studying court reporting--it's self-paced and it's the HARDEST thing I've ever done in my life). If I spent my school life comparing myself to how others are progressing or what they're accomplishing, I would end up quitting. We're all different with different abilities. Now, apply that same thing to working out. I guess some are motivated by others' accomplishments, but for me, I'm motivated by my own progress. I'm not going to compete with someone who most likely has a different metabolism, weight, energy level, etc. Just keep your eyes on the prize. You're doing great.

As for ellipticals, I have one in my home and I love it. I've always had bad knees(my kneecaps used to just pop out). My orthopedic surgeon friend recommended the elliptical for me because it's easy on the joints while giving a great workout. It's like any other machine, if you really work hard on it, you'll see results. If you just give a partial effort, you'll accomplish very little. There are all sorts of settings to make it more difficult and I'm constantly switching my arms as I'm holding the moving arms of the machine, to work different parts of my arms as well. Plus, I do some glutes tightening while on it. I have the SOLE elliptical, which is supposed to be the best for the money. It's a huge footprint in my room, but it fits perfectly. I love it and have burned 1000 calories in an hour, when I'm really pushing myself. I wouldn't be quick to knock ellipticals. They serve the purpose for which they were created. I'm very thankful for mine, because treadmills kill my knees.
  • sophy28
    sophy28 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Dont forget how many calories heavier people actually burn. Even just those a few stone heavier than you... Imagine running with 30lbs of weights strapped to you!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh and how good of shape you are in.

The smaller you are and the better in shape you are, the less you burn.

I'm small and in pretty good shape so it is hard for me to burn a lot. That being said, I could probably hit somewhere around 700 calories in an hour if I'm running.

but I try to keep my cardio to an intense 30-45 minutes, not a long drawn out "steady state." I just don't like having all that extra food to have to make up and eat.