Running Shoe Suggestions Needed!

Options

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    No one can answer which shoe is best for you except you. You need to take the time to go to a specialized running store to have them measure you and analyze your gait.

From there, you'll try on several pair of shoes. They'll have you test each one by either running outside or on their treadmill - perhaps both.

What's right for your foot may not be right for someone else. You may over/under pronate and the sales person will help you find the shoe for you.

While you're there, get some wick away socks. They're worth their weight in gold.

As for me and my feet ... nothing other than Asics Gel Nimbus. My friends swear by Nike, Brooks, etc. I don't care what they swear by ... I care what works for me.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ghost 4!

But as everyone else said above, definitely find a great store (like http://www.roadrunnersports.com/) that will take the time to analyze your stride, balance, and shoe preferences. Also, make sure they have a good return policy in case the ones you buy don't work out.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Running store will do their best for a proper fit, it's worth the trouble.

I don't like the regular Saucony shoes, they have thick heels and all. But the Saucony Kinvaras are worth a try.
    Their Hattori model might appeal to you also. Zero drop from heel to toe.

I also like the Nike Free line and Reebok Realflex. Only shoes I like from those two brands.

Brooks came out with a line called Pure. I haven't tried them, but they might be my next purchase.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I prefer New Balance running shoes. I have meniscus damage from an accident in both knees, and the cushion in New Balance's allows me to run without causing pain afterwards.

I also have a pair of Pumas that I ran in for awhile, and they're great, but they wore out kind of fast for my liking.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first serious pair of running shoes. :) I went to a running specialty store & they watched me walk/run on a treadmill to analyze what kind of shoe I needed. I ended up with the Mizuno Wave Rider's. I :heart: them! I feel like I'm running on air. I also like Asics. That was my first pair. But the Mizuno far out does them.

Yes, absolutely true.
    The best way to obtain the correct running shoes is to go to a specialty store, and they watch you.
    Find one that is associated in some way to running clubs, etc.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i swear by my Under Armour running shoes! i got the neutral arch support and it's perfect. they're really breathable and light.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Get properly fitted in a speciality running store where they watch you run on a treadmill or outside. Once you've forked out for one pair, you can buy future pairs half-prince online - last season's models usually only have a different colour.

One brand really does not suit all, and I've even injured myself after getting a different model for the same gait type from the same manufacturer without being fitted for it.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My doctor (used to run competitively) recently recommended going into a running store where they will fit you for a shoe that fits your foot and running style appropriately. You don't have to buy them there, but it's a good place to start and you'll know you are getting the right shoe for you.

^^
    This..evaluation is free and they can tell you exactly what YOUR foot needs :) Good luck!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm in the market for yet another pair of running shoes...I am currently in Saucony and I don't like them (forgive me, I can't remember the name/ #).

I need a neutral shoe with some cushion/ flexibility and my knees are kind of wonky so anything that could help with that. Any pairs you've found that you love? I do distance running and am training for another half, so, need to get in some good shoes! My last ones were actually stability shoes (Asiics) but I found out I shouldn't run in those...oopsy!

For several years I struggled with plantar fasciitis and shin splints so I went to see a podiatrist before buying my next pair of running shoes. I selected a podiatrist who is an avid runner and surprisingly he told me to ignore all stability/neutral stuff and just buy a pair that fits well and replace them every 400/500 miles or six months, whichever comes first. I do need to use inserts (I use Sole Dean Karnazes inserts) in whatever shoes I buy but so far so good. I know that some will say this is horrible advice but I have now run in all types of shoes and have had no problems with pf or shin splints in several years.My podiatrist claims all the specialized shoe stuff is overrated as evidenced by the current trend towards minimalist shoes which ditch all that anyway. Yeah, I know this is contrary to the advice on many but it has worked for me. If your old Asics were working for you then perhaps they are exactly what you need. If not, Asics and most all the rest make shoes for the whole range of types. I do love Asics but I am currently doing mostly trail running and use La Sportiva Wildcats - love them!
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Brooks!!!!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm a New Balance fan, myself. They come in the wide sizes that fit so much better on my feet.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    Nike Trainer 1's
  • Sthiara18
    Sthiara18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the Reebok RunTones and I love them their not too expensive or cheaply made either.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    I would go to a local running store where they can watch you run on a treadmill and make some recommendations based on whether you pronate, or what-have-you. I switched to New Balance's Minumus-Road shoes and noticed a great improvement on knee issues. I'm now running a lot further and longer as a result.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I have some New Balance 661's, and they are AMAZING. I swear to you--they almost feel like I'm barefoot. I usually hate shoes, but these I can put on and wear all day-even after the exercise is done. :)
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Ghost 4 Broocks!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Go to a local running store- most of them will have experts that will watch you walk/run and fit you, taking any medical issues into condideration- my local store is a bit more expensive than other retailers, but they guarantee the shoes for 3 months of wearing- if you have any issues they take them back no questions asked- IF they fit them for you- it was worth the extra money- now that I know what is a good fit for me, I can buy them elsewhere- I'm nure not all running stores have this guarantee, but it might be worth asking!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I would recommend finding a specialty running store. It made SUCH a big difference for me. I was looking for a minimalist running shoe, and they took the time to see how I walked, ran, and how my current running shoes looked (where they were worn in).
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Brooks or Mizuno I like the Brooks a little better

Careful if you're buying Brooks, they come in two VERY different levels. Their good shoes, from what I've heard are quite good but are pricey, their low end ones on the other hand I wouldn't use if my life depended on it.

I like Assics and addidas but it really depends on how your foot is shaped as well as your gait, size, etc, etc.... Best bet is to have yourself re-analysed (clearly the guy who did it the last time didn't do such a great job). In terms of cushioning Addidas and NB use a similar product that absorbs the energy but isn't super squishy, Nike (for the most part) uses an air chamber system, quite squishy and Addidas uses a type of polymer (sp?) gel material that is somewhere in the middle, squishy wise. 95% of the population does not require a "stabilisation" shoe (used for people who transfer WAY too much of their weight from the outside to the inside of their foot - over pronators) so unless all your shoes that you have are squished all the way to the inside, you are not part of this group.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Brooks Ghost 4!

But as everyone else said above, definitely find a great store (like http://www.roadrunnersports.com/) that will take the time to analyze your stride, balance, and shoe preferences. Also, make sure they have a good return policy in case the ones you buy don't work out.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:

Ghost 4's that's what I have, and LOVE THEM! (but I did have to put some inserts for a bit extra support)