Running Shoe Suggestions Needed!

Options

Replies

• andreajorg
    Options
    I wear Asiscs Gel Frantic-5...they are a neutral, high cushion shoe.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store and have them fit you (gait analysis on treadmill, etc). I have weak knees and have dislocated my knees and pulled ligaments and had fractures. I really am digging the natural or minimalist movement. I find I run more efficiently and less knee ache / discomfort with less shoe under my foot. I am currently wearing Saucony Kinvara 2's and New Balance Minimus Trail. Next I am considering trying the Vibram toe shoes. Run on!
  • oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! The one time I got fitted for shoes I think they did a half a** job because they didn't watch me run or anything. I'll tray again at a different store (I have two running-specific stores by me!) and see what they say. But, I'll keep in mind the types you listed here for sure!

Happy running to you all!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I just want to mention one caveat - *start* with the running store fitting. But don't be afraid to venture outside of their suggestions when you get some steady mileage in.

My story - based on a gait analysis, I overpronate a bit. So I should have a little motion control in my shoes. Fair enough. But after the first mile or so, I actually go neutral to slight supination. And I hold that pattern until the run is over.

So start with the fitting, then listen to your body. You might need adjustments, but likely not until you have a couple hundred miles on this first pair.

Good luck!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Running store fit!!! That said I'm a Brooks or Saucony girl!!!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks and Mizunos. The Mizunos a little better. But go to a running store and get fitted. The best thing about that (aside from being sure you get the right support for your feet) is that you can run on the treadmill is several different pairs to see how they actually feel while running. You can then choose the ones you like best out of several pairs that are right for your gait. Even two people who need the same support level will like different shoes. Choosing running shoes is a very personal thing. :wink: Good luck finding some that you love.
  • ErinRaeHW
    Options
    I got fitted at a running store last week and it was the best decision I EVER MADE!

Apparently I need a cushion shoe, and they recommended Brooks Glycerin 9 for me! They were $130 which was a bit out of my price range, but I found them at another store, and got them for half price, and Im loving THEM!!!!!!!

Get fitted, its totally worth the time!
  • Behavioral
    Options
    My Mizunos are GREAT. I completed a marathon in September in them. Still had some pain, but that is mainly due to just being overweight and going WAY over what I should have. I do wear inserts in them, but even without the inserts, they are the best I've found so far. My Asics Gels were a close second and I still wear them occasionally to work out (although they are now too short :-( ).. My advice....try, try, try...go to the store and try on shoes until you find "the one". Look online at reviews (Runner's World is great), etc.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have found that my stride changes over time, so getting professionally fitted is extremely important. Last year, I loved a pair of Brooks Glycerins. This year, I can't even walk in them without pain and am now in love with the Nike Free 2. Next time around, I may be in something completely different.
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This was the first time I ever bought shoes where I didnt point at a pair on display and ask them if they had it in my size. The speciality store spent 15 mins measuring and watching me walk barefoot before they ever brought out the first box(es) of shoes. Tried on many brands, models, and sizes. I will not go shoe shopping again to buy a paticular kind of athletic shoe, i will go to find the one that is right for me.

I TOTALLY agree with that statement and I used to do the same thing. Ask 20 different people what shoes to recommend and you will get many different answers - not necessary right for YOU.....
    I paid $89.00 for my Asics and with all of the personal attention and professional fitting - was totally worth it!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! The one time I got fitted for shoes I think they did a half a** job because they didn't watch me run or anything. I'll tray again at a different store (I have two running-specific stores by me!) and see what they say. But, I'll keep in mind the types you listed here for sure!

Happy running to you all!

Keep in mind these stores are not typically located in the mall. They may me independently owned. Don't confuse volume of sales with the perfect fit.

You may pay a little more for the shoe. However, I feel it's worth it because it's those types of stores that support the local runs in your community, often give school athletes discounts, have employees (or owners) who coach TNT, etc.

They are vital to the running/fitness community. Our support for them is our way of thanking them for their expertise.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i love my brooks
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love Nike air. Used to be the Pegasus, then the Triax. Don't know what they'd be called today, but go to a specialty running store, not Foot Locker or ****'s and get them to analyze your gait. Then they can make a proper recommendation.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love Nike air. Used to be the Pegasus, then the Triax. Don't know what they'd be called today, but go to a specialty running store, not Foot Locker or ****'s and get them to analyze your gait. Then they can make a proper recommendation.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    another vote for a proper running store who will watch you run in different shoes and see how they suit your running style, sounds like the last one you went to wasnt too good so try another store, i find the smaller, independent type stores usually know their stuff a lot more than the 'chain' sport stores. they do cost a little more, but if everyone trys in the store and buy on the internet, the stores will go out of business and then who will recommend the shoes?!

its not really possible to find a style that fits and then keep buying the same ones - shoes are generally updated every year, and the tiniest change can cause problems if its not right for your feet, and your feet can change over time too.
    I run in brooks GTS and my first pair gave me terrible blisters, a few years later i was recommended the same model which obviously had me worried, but as they have slightly changed the position of the strips up the side of the shoe, it now misses where the old shoe rubbed and they are perfect :)
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have some kind of nikes (super cute!) BUTTTTT.. It's taking a super long time to break them in - my ankles are tore up from running on the treadmill.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Nike Free Runs! I really love them.. ever since wearing these, it has tremendously helped me jog/run longer compared to some other running shoes I had!!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love my Nike Pegasus - in fact, I love them so much I have 6 pairs of them, all the same model, just different colors (yes I realize I'm nuts).

I really recommend though, that you go to a running specialty store and try some there and run in them. I started out in New Balances and ended up in Nikes and my running world has just exploded with joyful strides. :)
  • oharabears
    Options
    I hate shoes (except the cute, high-heeled ones that I can only wear for 10 minutes...but that's another story), so I LOVE my Vibrams and Nike Free runners. I started running in Asics (on running store's recommendations) and developed a bunion pretty quickly. Switched to Mizunos and got a hammer toe... Thought, "Well, if SHOES are giving me foot problems, what will "non-shoes' do?" Since I've been running in my Vibrams, I've had no problems with my feet/knees/back/hips. I'm sold, but understand they're not for everyone. It just made sense to me that letting the bones, tendons, and ligaments in my feet do what they were designed to do was the answer. Your mileage may vary...
  • Raiders666
    Options
    My 2 cents. Like many people suggested, I would go to a local runners shop and get fitted. I ran for years in asics only ( gt series ) and swore to only wear them, until a running " expert " told me to try the Bowerman series Nike's. He said they will offer the same support as my asics. He was right, and I loved them. I am now back to my asics. I guess in short that there are many brands that offer up the same promise of support or whatever. Trial and error I guess. Good luck.