Fool Proof Low Calorie Muffins??

Options
determined2lose89
determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
I have tried SO many low calorie muffin recipes. I have google'd them, looked them up in recipe books (even Hungry Girl) and allllll of them have sucked. They usually turn out to be tasteless, too dry, or, my most recent invention....hard enough to be new legs for a chair or couch.

I seriously need a fool proof low calorie muffin recipe that you have made and it's tasty! I miss having muffins so I want a healthy one.

Thank you to anyone that shares one. I really appreciate it :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Judway
    Judway Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    1 15oz can of pumpkin
    1 box of carrot cake or spice cake mix
    3/4 cup water

Mix it all together. Divide evenly into 24 muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

87 cal per muffin and very tasty!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1 15oz can of pumpkin
    3/4 cup water

Mix it all together. Divide evenly into 24 muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Sounds yummy!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    1 15oz can of pumpkin
    3/4 cup water

Sounds yummy!

Sounds really good! Just a question though: are they at all gummy? That's the texture thing that puts me off low-fat muffins.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ooh, this sounds terrific! I may have to try this...
  • Judway
    Judway Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i don't find them gummy but you can leave the water out i did once and they were more like a denser loaf
  • lja20
    lja20 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Instead of water, add a 1/3 c egg beaters and 1/2-1 c cinnamon chips. Of course that will up the calorie count a bit. Yum!
  • kutz04
    kutz04 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! i love pumpkin!
  • sambfox
    sambfox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering what to do with the can of pumpkin in the back of my pantry.
    Thanks!
  • sharonhite2012
    sharonhite2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    2 1/2 cups oatmeal
    15oz cup canned pumpkin
    2/3 cup splenda (or to taste)
    1 cup skim milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 eggs (or egg beaters)
    1 T apple pie spice (or pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon - all to taste)
    1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together and spoon into muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.

There are a few variations of this recipe that I am going to try. I put every single ingredient into MFP and I believe each muffin is 88 calories. I really liked this particular one. Not dry at all. And again, the spices and Splenda can be adjusted to your liking. Next I am going to try them with applesauce in place of pumpkin, along with apple pie spice and cinnamon. Can't hurt!
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yum-Going to make this !!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    http://www.busybuthealthy.com
    This website has some of the best protein muffins ever!
    I've made the chocolate chip pumpkin, blueberry and lemon poppy seed ones and I have raved to everyone that will listen to me.
    The lemon poppy seed muffins were only 77 calories by my recipe calculation.
  • jess_kain
    Options
    The pumpkin muffins really were amazing! I froze the leftovers and just popped them in the microwave!
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    These are awesome! I always have some in the freezer
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/mixed-berry-whole-wheat-muffins.html
  • jrbourdon
    Options
    bump
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    its not a muffin recipie but i have a low cal banana bread it makes onne small loaf pan whic i then measure to cut into 8ths

1 mashed banana
    1tbs mardrine
    1tsp vinilla
    1tsp baking powder
    dash of salt
    2 tsp 1%milk
    1 egg 1 c splenda
    3/4 cup of flour

mix and bake at 350 it sais 20 min but it takes longer at least a half an hour

according to the counter on here its 74 cal a slice if you make it with sugar its more and it also takes longer too cook
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    2 1/2 cups oatmeal
    15oz cup canned pumpkin
    2/3 cup splenda (or to taste)
    1 cup skim milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 eggs (or egg beaters)
    1 T apple pie spice (or pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon - all to taste)
    1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together and spoon into muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.

There are a few variations of this recipe that I am going to try. I put every single ingredient into MFP and I believe each muffin is 88 calories. I really liked this particular one. Not dry at all. And again, the spices and Splenda can be adjusted to your liking. Next I am going to try them with applesauce in place of pumpkin, along with apple pie spice and cinnamon. Can't hurt!

I love baking with oats .... gotta try this one. Thanks!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    From the 400 Calorie Fix cookbook:

2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    2 eggs
    1 c. strawberry blended yogurt (I used yoplait)
    1/4 c. buttermilk (I used light)
    1/4 c. melted butter
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    1 c. frozen rasperries, blackberries, & blueberries (I used 1/2 c. of frozen raspberries and 1/2 c. frozen wild blueberries)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray (do this FAR AWAY from oven or any heat source)
    2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder , salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl
    3. Whisk together the eggs, yogurt, buttermilk, butter, and almond extract in a medium bowl.
    4. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just mixed. Then, gently fold in the frozen berries. (If you add them earlier and mix, then the batter becomes a purplish color, but it won't hurt the end result...just won't look as nice).
    5. Spoon into the muffin pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until you test with a toothpick in the center (comes out clean)

Per 1 muffin:

180 calories
    5 g fat
    3 g saturated fat
    250 mg sodium
    30 carbs
    1 g fiber
    4 g protein
    10 percent of calcium

The book suggests you can make it a 400 calorie meal by also eating 1 banana (110 cals), cup of tea with low fat milk (25 cals) , and 1 container of light yogurt (80 cals).

I've made these twice within the last few weeks.
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    Bump