Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    inexpensive treadmill farm with a reputation for being very unfriendly to weightlifters.Have heard reports from several people that they were asked to leave when they were caught doing the important exercises - squats and deadlifts.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I love planet fitness. They all vary a bit from location to location but mine has a huge assortment of well maintained cardio equipment, plenty of weight machines and a ton of free weights. There are also areas for stretching and a thirty minute circuit that you can adapt to your fitness level. I highly recommend it!

I love my Planet Fitness too: plenty of machines and i haven't ever been limited in my time using them (can use the treadmill for over an hour, if i want... at the Y, i was limited to 30 minutes, which sucked). Tons of stregth training machines as well. I find the atmosphere welcoming and i see all sizes, shapes and abilities there. No, it doesnt have a pool, courts, yoga classes and the like, but if you're just looking for cardio and strength training, its a heck of a deal ($10 a month).
  • sandywack
    sandywack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a great gym. Join when they have the special...$10 to join $10 a month no contract or commitment. The gym is huge and everyone is there to do there thing. LOVE IT!!!
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Look up their commercial - there's one with this super buff dude and all he says is, "I pick things up and put them down". (Trust me it's funnier that this makes it sound...)

I LOVE that commercial!!! Hahaaa! That guy is crazy built!!!!
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    inexpensive treadmill farm with a reputation for being very unfriendly to weightlifters.

Exactly, you nailed it. Weight lifters take up too much space and time in the gym. They only want people who buy a one year membership and only come for one week or only come a few days a week for 30 minutes at a time.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to one but my understanding is that there are no free weights, only machines and no fitness classes. So, if that is all you need it seems like a cheap deal.
    Mine has a huge free weights section.
    As does mine. This is a myth that folks love to perpetuate. The lame adverts don't help either.

The PF i used to go to Eliminated any dumbells over 60lbs same with the curl bars. The other free weight benches were limited. Plus it was crowded with people who have no gym etiquette or knew how to use the machines properly.
    Also no classes or 30 minute circuit room.

I found another gym thats a local chain for the same price, unlimited classes, open 24/7 plus tons of brand new machines/free weights.

I would look both at your Specific PF and search out local chains. I go to the gym way more now that I don't go to PF. Again though my location wasn't the greatest, its very location by location dependent.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to one but my understanding is that there are no free weights, only machines and no fitness classes. So, if that is all you need it seems like a cheap deal.

there are free weights- many of them for that matter and there are fitness classes they just accept up to 5 people which is good because the classes are good and its small so its more peronalized attention and many people dont go to them so its easy to get a spot
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's good for basic, no frills fitness, and great for the price.

My only complaint is that it's entirely too warm and the ceiling fans don't do enough, but I'm disgustingly sweaty and bust my *kitten* when I go.
  • MellisaCruz
    Options
    To me, Planet Fitness sucks rotten eggs. You get what you pay for, Machines thatbreakdown and take way to long to repair. No scales and dirty. It always smells in the Planet Fitness in Pleasant Hill in Duluth, Ga.. I left PF and now I may pay a little more to be at LA Fitness, but its worth it. This place is nice and clean
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    oh and mine DOES have a scale in the ladies locker room (not sure about the men's side, for hopefully obvious reasons! LOL!)
  • pammypk1
    pammypk1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mine has a huge free weights section.
    As does mine. This is a myth that folks love to perpetuate. The lame adverts don't help either.
    They have free weights, plenty of machines, and the one I went to had a 30 minute circuit train section.
  • chiv123
    Options
    I was member at PF. They had lots of basic cardio equipment, ie treadmills, bikes, ellipticals. Plenty of each, though I don't recall much variety outside of the basics. They had plenty of dumbells but the free weight area was always a little cramped in terms of floor space, as if lifting was secondary to the cardio portion of the club. I'm not a good judge for the weight machines because I don't like working out on them in general (with the exception of pulleys). That said, I'm 5'3 and especially short in my arms and legs, and noticed that the machines felt a bit too big for me, even on the smallest setting. In contrast, Bally's equipment fits me well enough. They didn't have classes but there was a circuit region available that combines machines and cardio. For the price, you can't beat it. My club was often quite busy, so there was a flier available that listed the "down times." If you are irritated by a busy club or are uncomfortable about working out in front of a lot of people, this would probably be the biggest downfall. In terms of gym culture, this place had the biggest range of diversity of any club I've attended (in terms of age, fitness level, etc). I go to the gym at my school for free, otherwise I could see myself going there again and just dodging the busiest times. Not a bad choice.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    To me, Planet Fitness sucks rotten eggs. You get what you pay for, Machines thatbreakdown and take way to long to repair. No scales and dirty. It always smells in the Planet Fitness in Pleasant Hill in Duluth, Ga.. I left PF and now I may pay a little more to be at LA Fitness, but its worth it. This place is nice and clean
    Depends. Mine is brand new and in great shape. Clean and well-maintained.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    They have a no grunting rule lol. other than that they are good :)

Maybe at the PF you go to they have that rule. The one I go to doesn't. There's usually loud music playing anyways, so nobody would be able to hear you if you did grunt.

I've belonged to PF for almost 3 years and I love it. Tons of cardio, lots of machines and plenty of free weights. And it only costs me $10 per month. It's a steal. Oh, and the employees at my gym are friendly and greet me by name.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's good for basic, no frills fitness, and great for the price.

My only complaint is that it's entirely too warm and the ceiling fans don't do enough, but I'm disgustingly sweaty and bust my *kitten* when I go.

^^^^ This! It's so darn hot in there compared to my other gym! It's like a sauna! UGH

Our PF does not have classes - this is location specific as they have different owners. Ours has a very large free weight room, lots of cardio, and the circuit training as well as machines set up by body parts - upper and lower and ab sections.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    LOVE my planet fitness! I love the $10/month cost so i can afford to go. My PF has a good number of machines and a scale and nice locker rooms and it's always always being cleaned so I don't worry about germs much. A great deal unless you are looking
    for things like group classes or childcare, but it's been a great help to me.
  • Dsanborn33
    Options
    My husband and I joined and paid $99 pp for the whole year. They seem to run that special for a week after christmas every year. Our location has 2 long rows of bikes, 2 rows of ellipticals, and 3 rows of treadmills, there is a large free weight section, a HUGE cybex area with multiples of each machine so you don't have to wait and there are 2 dedicated work out areas sectioned off. 1 is a 12 minutes abs and the other is a 30 minute express workout. The 30 minute express is just like going to a curves.

Our's also offers a very limited class schedule with personal trainers. There are no aerobic classes, they are just small classes that get to work out with a trainer for no charge.

They market to people who are intimidated to go to the gym. There are still plenty of meatheads running around, but there is also just a great variety of people that work out there as well.

Also - on every cardio machine they have a small device that you can plug your headphones into and you can tune into one of the TV's

Seriously for $8.25 a month it works great for me
  • tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness, anyone know anything about the gym? They are coming to our town soon I hear.

I'm a member-low fees but it's not the best gym...I don't know, I don't like the vibe I guess. Plus they have breakfast and pizza nights there which defeats the whole purpose of working out (so what? you can devour pizza while all sweaty?)
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Plus they have breakfast and pizza nights there which defeats the whole purpose of working out (so what? you can devour pizza while all sweaty?)
    You never eat pizza?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    oh and mine DOES have a scale in the ladies locker room (not sure about the men's side, for hopefully obvious reasons! LOL!)

Our scale is behind the treadmills in the stretching area. Not that I want to weigh where everyone can see!