Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    They are a franchise so each one is managed differently.
    I joined one so I could afford a membership for myself AND my son.
    The air conditioning was rarely adequate so it was hot and stuffy.
    They do not offer any towels for wipe down.
    There were weeks where less than half the treadmills worked.
    They have few elliptical machines.
    Half the lights were often out.

They tend to favor low maintenance weight machines in lieu of cardio machines.

We quit because it stopped feeling like a place we wanted to be.

Yours may be much better.

Good Luck.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    It's good for basic, no frills fitness, and great for the price.

My only complaint is that it's entirely too warm and the ceiling fans don't do enough, but I'm disgustingly sweaty and bust my *kitten* when I go.

I have to agree...it is too warm in there...they could save on their heating bills and help us be more comfortable too.
    But that's my only complaint. I have complained to the front desk people and they said they'd make sure people stopped
    messing with the thermostats.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I belonged to PF last year and found it pretty unhelpful for my weight loss...they have some good stuff (the abs and quick workout circuit was nice), but overally it was a lot of treadmills/elipticals/bikes and weights....If that's all you want/need it's nice and cheap. I joined a new gym (LA Fitness/Ballys) that opened up close to me and have so far found it MUCH more conducive to my workout style. It's got a pool, gym, raquetball courts, normal array of cardio equipment and weights, but also the pool/sauna/hot tub and best of all a LOT of free classes. It's defo better for me, but like I said, it matters what is important toyou
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love PF. I'd still go there if they had childcare. My sister used to be a trainer there as well.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My PF has a scale and free weights. It is a franchise so I guess it is up to the owner if they want that stuff. There are a bunch of heavy lifters at mine. I have only heard the lunk alwarm go off a few times and that was more or a joke then anything. For $20 a month you can not beat it. When the one in my town first opened they had a deal for a year was only $100.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. I have the "Black" membership and that entitles me to work out at ALL PFs in the country. My BF lives an hour away, so when I visit him on the weekend I use the PF there. PF is pretty bare bones, but that's what I love about it. It has cardio, circuit training, weight machines, and free weight areas. I've seen muscle bound lifters, grandmas, and beginners working out next to each other without so much as a sneer or judgement made out loud. They have tools to get the job done.

I
  • kpudish
    kpudish Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i go to one and the one i go to has a ton of equipment and free weights. they do offer classes not like spin classes, zumba, kettlebells or anything like that. but they offer different classes to do excercises to target certain areas that you want to work on. and they also offer times were you can meet with a trainer to get a workout set up for you.
  • Twinterod
    Options
    I go to a Planet Fitness gym. They are a low cost no frills gym with everything you need to work out. They have plenty of cardio, weights and nautilous, but no classes, pool, rock wall, etc. They do have tanning beds and 2 different membership levels. 1 that is $20 per month, which includes the option to bring a guest, use a tanning bed and to go to any Planet Fitness location. The other is $10 per month and you get the use of the gym (only that location), no guests and no tanning. I have the $20 per month and my boyfriend has the $10, we both like what we get for the money.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to one but my understanding is that there are no free weights, only machines and no fitness classes. So, if that is all you need it seems like a cheap deal.
    Mine has a huge free weights section.
    As does mine. This is a myth that folks love to perpetuate. The lame adverts don't help either.

Good to know. I think the one in my area does not but maybe they have added them or will soon.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    "I pick things up and put them down!"

We don't have any around my area, but I must admit that the commercial cracks me up.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Low fees, not a huge machine/weight selection (though this depends from location to location), decent amount of cardio machines, "ok" member service, no daycare, no classes, tanning available.

Meh...it's alright. If you need basic, go to PF.
  • eyern
    eyern Posts: 9
    Options
    So Love Planet Fitness. Our's is a wonderful place where people of all shapes and sizes come for a workout. There's nothing more motivating to do an extra set than seeing someone on oxygen on an arm machine. When they say no judgment they mean no judgement.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I just joined PF and very happy. A ton of cardio and machines and a decent size free weights section. The don't have the super heavy weights in the free weights but i think that is because they don't want the meat heads. i am super happy...
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    To me, Planet Fitness sucks rotten eggs. You get what you pay for, Machines thatbreakdown and take way to long to repair. No scales and dirty. It always smells in the Planet Fitness in Pleasant Hill in Duluth, Ga.. I left PF and now I may pay a little more to be at LA Fitness, but its worth it. This place is nice and clean
    Depends. Mine is brand new and in great shape. Clean and well-maintained.

Mine too. I was actually surprised at how clean the locker room and showers are kept. And in the year I've been going I have only seen one piece of equipment out of order and it was fixed the next day.
  • ChattyKitten
    ChattyKitten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    <3 planet fitness!! I go 3 times a week! Its great b/c there no one saying your not working hard enough or ppl giving you dirty looks b/c you aren't the typical gym rat. Free training if you want, great machines, great free weight area, great ppl. Highly reccomended!
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    I haven't been to one but my understanding is that there are no free weights, only machines and no fitness classes. So, if that is all you need it seems like a cheap deal.

There ARE free weights at all of ours. there are Benches, therea re Nautalis machines, and treadmills, and ellypitals, bikes and arc trainers-
    There are also tanning booths and some small intros to using each machine led by the people who work there.
    Some offer personal training sessions that you sign up for. My gym no longer has that, because it wasn't getting used.

I think its' a nice "no-frills" gym. I dont' need classes, I just need to go work out. It's 10$ a month- that's right, less than a pizza!!!

do it!
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    inexpensive treadmill farm with a reputation for being very unfriendly to weightlifters.Have heard reports from several people that they were asked to leave when they were caught doing the important exercises - squats and deadlifts.

Depends!!! Depends where you go, how you're working out-
    Depends on what you want to get out of this gym- For more serious lifters this may not be the right place for you, but there are some super beefy guys at mine in NY and no one is asking them to leave. There are some treadmill hogs who run for an hour straight- It's anyone's gym!

And as always- If we treat others how we want to be treated, no one would be judging or being rude to others at the gym. Each is their for their own personal growth and health. Don't worry yourself with what others are doing or what they think of you- YOu're there for you! Ok- Done. :)
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    "I pick things up and put them down!"

We don't have any around my area, but I must admit that the commercial cracks me up.
    How about when he's signing his joining paperwork and he says "Boom boom pow. Pow boom... sign here? boom bam!... Initials? Pow!" and his chest is bumping up and down the whole time! hhaha
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    How can anyone even defend this gym?
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness reminds me of Average Joe's from Dodge Ball. It is more geared for beginners- which is great!. However, I am more of a weight lifter and I get eyeballed every time I ask for a spot, grunt a little here and there, and do my thing... Their free weight selection is limited. They use Smith Machines vs. free weigh benches which is what it is...

The thing that bothers me is that PF preaches that they have a personal trainer on staff for free, but I see there are obvious rookies in the gym lifting too much weight with less than poor form! I have started correcting their form on my own, offering pointers on form and weight... Those rookies are just going to get hurt lifting poorly and stop coming all together...