Chips and Salsa

Options
13»

Replies

• rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I started cuttingup and baking corn tortillas as chips, and making homemade salsa.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Someone had posted on my snack post to take small corn tortilla's cut them up in triangles, spray with cooking spray and bake to your desired crispness. Enjoy!

I do this...They are you yummy
  • AllezCheryl45
    AllezCheryl45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use cucumbers and slice them into chips and eat that with salsa or homemade avocado dip. Gives ya the crunch but not all the salt and calories from regular tortilla chips!
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    there is not substitute in my opinion. i either do it or i dont!! but i dont 99% of the time!!
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Anything in moderation :-) I'm serving this snack on Sunday!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I still eat chips and salsa. Salsa is a great way to get in your veggies too! I buy Newman's Own (all natural) Salsa which is AWESOME! and the healthiest tortilla chips I can find.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    Baked corn tortilla chips are deelish. I gave up fried food for Lent last year and made a batch every week! Garden of Eatin' makes a black bean chip that's good too.

Here are my tips: (1) avoid salsas with added sugar--get the fresh stuff, (2) eat the chips and salsa as a side or with some kind of protein. I have mine with Trader Joe's spicy black bean dip, or with huevos rancheros for breakfast... and (3) don't eat out of the bag. Measure your chips onto a plate and put the bag away.

Don't even get me started on nachos. Everybody I know would love to eat them every day!
  • CarlaGill1968
    Options
    Totally yummy.....

Fresh Corn Salsa
    4 tomatoes (1-1/2 lb.), chopped (I used Roma)
    1 cup cooked fresh corn kernels (shoe-peg works)
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
    1 bell pepper, any color
    1/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing (I used light)
    COMBINE all ingredients except dressing in large bowl.
    ADD dressing; mix lightly.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Try to choose 100% whole grain chips or sweet potato chips--love these. Also be sure the oil used in a healthy one. Choose low sugar, low sodium salsa or make your own. Low fat bean dip and hummus are also good choices.
  • shadee321
    shadee321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    eat less, :/ My husband and i love mexican food we eat at resturants ALL the time and i have a hard time counting the cals. cause i cant find the resturants we have here in the data base. Friend me if you want
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    swap baked lays tortilla chip instead of regular chips.

I realy enjoy a smalled baked potato with salsa, that fillsmy craving and your full afterwards
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We get the bite size rounds thare are 140 calories for 24 and I count out 24 for me and my husband and then put the bag back in the pantry. We load each chip up with as much salsa as we can so we get to really enjoy it and feel pretty full after that! I could never give up my mexican food!!!!!
  • nickssister
    nickssister Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Pam's Taste of Summer Salsa. Its delicious! Fresh tomato, low sodium (20mg), no sugar, no fat. I get it at Whole Foods in the refrigerator section.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The sodium is a little high but that won't kill you every now and then.

Very true. I've managed to occasionally find fresh varieties containing 50mg a serving rather than 150-200+. Occasionally...*sigh*