Job Issues--Would love opinions

Opinions, please...our Firm's CFO, who is a recent hire, bold-faced lied about something. He stated unequivocally that he had delegated a task to me and very snottily added, "and it should have been completed six months ago." Not only is this not true, but I had actually initiated an email to him five months ago about the topic, and he never responded. I followed up three times and again, never received a single response. I have the email documentation to back this up. The thing is, I'm not supposed to know that he has said this about me. I was asked if I had ever received an assignment from him and replied that I had not. When I asked why, I was told about the email correspondence. I also sent the person who asked me about this the email documentation. I really want to confront him and am so angry I could spit. Advice? I am a lowly associate attorney. He's considered an executive. It's not like me to take anything like this laying down, but I can also be too blunt and that could hurt me professionally. However, so could the fact that he's lying about it. In fact, the last email I have says he is "spearheading" the project in question. The thing is that he simply forgot about it and now people are getting on his case. Instead of manning up and saying, "Hey, it got pushed back by other fires" he looks for a scapegoat. That, apparently, is me.

Replies

• Is there an HR manager? I would report it to them. If you feel that could jeopardize your job, at the least, keep a copy of all documents and notes about what happened, should this ever come up (e.g. performance review).
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Opinions, please...our Firm's CFO, who is a recent hire, bold-faced lied about something. He stated unequivocally that he had delegated a task to me and very snottily added, "and it should have been completed six months ago." Not only is this not true, but I had actually initiated an email to him five months ago about the topic, and he never responded. I followed up three times and again, never received a single response. I have the email documentation to back this up. The thing is, I'm not supposed to know that he has said this about me. I was asked if I had ever received an assignment from him and replied that I had not. When I asked why, I was told about the email correspondence. I also sent the person who asked me about this the email documentation. I really want to confront him and am so angry I could spit. Advice? I am a lowly associate attorney. He's considered an executive. It's not like me to take anything like this laying down, but I can also be too blunt and that could hurt me professionally. However, so could the fact that he's lying about it. In fact, the last email I have says he is "spearheading" the project in question. The thing is that he simply forgot about it and now people are getting on his case. Instead of manning up and saying, "Hey, it got pushed back by other fires" he looks for a scapegoat. That, apparently, is me.

You're an attorney and you're posting on a weight loss forum?
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    It's awesome that you have all this documented - If you have a supervisor, go see him/her with your concern. I would wait until you're calmer, b/c I'm getting the impression that you're just spitting nails over this right now (for good reason!). Invite your supervisor to sit and have a chat with HR (if you have HR). It would be up to them to handle this b/c they are technically in charge of the work you are assigned.

Now, If you report directly to this CFO, go see HR immediatley with all your documents and lay it all out. People like this CFO of yours are in these positions because they like to throw people in your position under the bus - and most if not all people, take it (speaking from experience).

I would not, at this point, go head to head with him - You don't have all the information you would need to make your arguments, plus he's a CFO...and I'm assuming there's a grievance process you should follow - Start by informing your supervisor and HR and go from there. They may agree with you that he's out to lunch and they will take the appropriate actions against him. If that fails, take it higher.

If I could do things over, I would have fought harder when I was in your position - since then, I vowed never to let that happen to me again.
  • [/quote]

[/quote]

Who cares what job she has? There are a lot worse things that get on this forum!!! She's a long-time dedicated MFP member looking for some personal support - give her a break

I answered you in another place Linda, and you're welcome for sticking up for you! lol
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Thanks. I'm in a small office and don't have anyone else here to discuss with.
  • Why don't you respond to his last email and ask where the project stands and offer your assistance. He will know then that you are aware of his misleading comments. It isn't (most likely) to call him out for his deceit and doing so directly probably won't do you much good.

It is great that you have the CYA documentation, but unless you need it to save your job I wouldn't try to use it against him. Truly, unless you work for a company that puts ethics ABOVE all else you will probably find that you will lose any battle with him. It may be subtle, but in the end you will not be the winner.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Don't stew over this ... I would take it to him directly, regardless of whether you are "supposed to know about it" or not. People need to be held accountable for what they say, and he should know that it got back to you.

Really, if you agonize over this, you'll feel terrible, and he'll continue feeling just fine.

Unless you really, truly, can put it behind you and move on, you need to bring it out.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    I would urinate in his coffee, and just smile everytime I looked at him.:mad:
  • a1wonder
    a1wonder Posts: 95 Member

Wow that was a little cold... If she wants to get an external opinion why not post it in a community where you belong

I don't know if necessary you should automatically file a grievance, I would speak about the situation with your senior (unless you report to the CFO directly) make sure he or she is aware of the situation if not already. If your comfortable enough just politely ask the CFO whats going down, that you heard that he said this comment and ask him if this is what he said, you don't have to be confrontational about it you'd be surprised how much people back pedal or there could just be a misunderstand and this would be a great opportunity to increase communication.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    If you can drop him in the grease and totally get away with it, do it.
    And start working on ways to sabotage this person any way you can.
    He is your enemy.
    And don't feel bad, because he drew first blood when he threw you under the bus.

GET HIM!:devil:
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Whether you agree with the boss or not, the boss will always be right. Is it worth fighting, and possibly damaging your reputation or losing your job?
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member

[/quote]

Who cares what job she has? There are a lot worse things that get on this forum!!! She's a long-time dedicated MFP member looking for some personal support - give her a break

I answered you in another place Linda, and you're welcome for sticking up for you! lol
    [/quote]

What the person above said. Good luck with this-- sounds like a sticky subject. :smile:
  • gail16
    gail16 Posts: 94
    You need to be very careful how you handle the situation as confronting him could cost you your job! The person who brought this to your attention knows of the situation and you have the email trail as your backup but I wouldn't use that just yet.

I agree with Wendyc122005 in that you should email him asking where the project stands and offering your assistance, but be polite and appear helpful. If he was to get into trouble over the work not being done then he could try and blame you and "make an example" of you by pushing you out of the company. Add this helpful email to your collection as evidence that you were aware of the project not being completed and you repeatedly tried to help.

If you feel the need to take it further, why not ask HR to arrange a meeting but bring an independent person with you? If this is a small company, are the HR department willing to stand against him?
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    He is your enemy.
    And don't feel bad, because he drew first blood when he threw you under the bus.

I like you. :smile: I think honestly, I'm probably overreacting a little because today has been so stressful. I had a big hearing this morning, which went really well, but I was here very early preparing for it. I came back to this.
  • You're an attorney and you're posting on a weight loss forum?

Attorney's are people too? Who'd of thunk it?
    It wasn't a legal question was it?

Personally... I'd hang him out to dry if I could.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Be leary with future endevours and document everything. Watch your freakin back when dealing with him. I have a supervisor just like this and if she says something verbally I follow up with an email and I ask her to respond in an email so that I may "refer to it in the future"...Also email the info to your personal email incase they lock you out.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    HR! Do it.
  • mjavstreih
    mjavstreih Posts: 1 Member
    There is no point in getting aggravated. In all likelihood you are not the first victim, which is why someone reached out to you for clarification. The only people you need to consider are your customers and the person/people responsible for prioritizing your work efforts, who I presume is probably not the CFO. Re-confirm that your work efforts are prioritized correctly and proceed based on that set of priorities. Retain you documentation and rise above the fray.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    He is your enemy.

This never ends well. Especially for women. And I know that's a sexist comment, but it's also true.

I hate these kind of games, but seem to have some talent for it. (It's kind of sick and weird.) If you have ANY previous email that you can use to respond to, respond like another poster said and offer your assistance - but having it as part of an email with previous messages showing your involvement should subtly remind him of his asshat status and still seem innocent enough that he won't want to play with fire back.

I always liked combining "kill them with kindness" and "proof you are an asshat" to get a point across.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    If you let this blow over, he just may become an ally in the future, and go to bat for you for not making a stink about it.

Pick your battles.