Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    blackadder-headdesk-o.gif

This is thread number 99,999,999 on this subject. :yawn:

^^yes.
    i saw this thread and just had to comments to shake my head and say "no!"
    a pound is a pound blah blah blah blah blah blah muscle is more dense yaddayadda

I TAKE HCG.

ready go!

(i don't really)
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I see these threads all the time.

Does anyone really think that a pound of fat weighs different than a pound of muscle?

The expression "muscle weighs more than fat" assumes equal volumes. So if you have the same volume of fat as you do muscle, the muscle is going to weigh more. Similarly, if you have the same weight of each, the volume of muscle will be less.

Do people not realize that?
    God I hope so... but then again there are people who absolutely blow my mind with their stupidity on a daily basis. Yes, I have understood this concept since I was like 5. No confusion here. Honestly I can't even conceive how that could possibly be misunderstood.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    blackadder-headdesk-o.gif

This is thread number 99,999,999 on this subject. :yawn:

Oooh does that mean the next person who posts on this wins an Ipad?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I want an iPAD!!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Muscle/Fat thread! DRINK!!!:drinker:
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound.

Does that mean that muscle might weigh more than fat in Europe because they don't weigh in pounds??

Yes. Also European people will sink faster if you put them in water.

So, doesn't that make them witches? Oh no, it's Salem all over again...
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is my #1 pet peeve!

Better yet was the thread (I can't remember where it was, it was a week or so ago) where the poster had PROOF that muscle weighed more than fat because (wait for it people......).........if you put 1lb of meat in water it will sink but 1lb of fat will float.

Seriously! I was laughing so hard that I think I got an ab workout in.

Back in the 1600s they would throw women who were accused of being witches into a lake. If they sank, they were innocent. If they floated, they were a witch. I think they all sank. Fat is all about witchcraft and evil.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No, because there are alsways newby's to the site that haven't already learnt this stuff!

THANK YOU.
    I appreciate everyone's input, but this was directed to the newer people that haven't spent a lot of time and energy learning about weightloss and excercising.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :love: :love: :love: :love: I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!:love::love: :love: :love: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love the fact the by the logic, nothing actually weighs more than anything cos a "pound is a pound"

1000 pounds of elephants weighs the same as 1000 pounds of mice! Yes, but I am pretty sure I can say that elephants weigh more than mice!!!
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    It's probably something they just never put a whole lot of thought into, and it is used as an explanation for everything. I'm hoping (crosses fingers and toes) that maybe spreading a little more knowledge will help.

This and starvation "mode". I love people, bless their hearts, they want to help but sometimes it just comes out wrong!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I love the fact the by the logic, nothing actually weighs more than anything cos a "pound is a pound"

1000 pounds of elephants weighs the same as 1000 pounds of mice! Yes, but I am pretty sure I can say that elephants weigh more than mice!!!
    Yup! Muscle is denser than fat. But if you convert a pound of fat to muscle, you get a pound of muscle. You can't create mass from nothing.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Muscle has more density than fat. Which means if you fill a cube with muscle and then fill an equally sized cube with fat, the cube with muscle will weigh more.

So "muscle weighs more than fat" is not inaccurate. Saying "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat" is of course wrong, because a pound equals a pound. But a pound of muscle will take up less space than the pound of fat does.

A 230 pound muscular man with 14% body fat takes up less space than a 230 pound man with 33% body fat, even though they weigh the same.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Oh **** can we just let this DIE!!!

No, it is infinite and accelerating. Like the universe.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Back in the 1600s they would throw women who were accused of being witches into a lake. If they sank, they were innocent. If they floated, they were a witch. I think they all sank. Fat is all about witchcraft and evil.

:bigsmile:
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is my #1 pet peeve!

Better yet was the thread (I can't remember where it was, it was a week or so ago) where the poster had PROOF that muscle weighed more than fat because (wait for it people......).........if you put 1lb of meat in water it will sink but 1lb of fat will float.

Seriously! I was laughing so hard that I think I got an ab workout in.

Wow, i have never heard this comparison before. So i guess you could really screw with this person by pointing out that the same volume of steel will weigh more than muscle. Then ask him how all those giant "Steel" battle ships and aircraft carriers float on top while that chunk of muscle sinks to the bottom...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A 230 pound muscular man with 14% body fat takes up less space than a 230 pound man with 33% body fat, even though they weigh the same.

A muscular man the same size as a man with high body fat will weigh more than the fat man. Why? Because muscle weighs more than fat.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    people arguing makes me giggle ;) xD
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2_lJ2bGltE

I am having way too much fun with this thread.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

A muscular man the same size as a man with high body fat will weigh more than the fat man. Why? Because muscle weighs more than fat.

So just to be clear... you are saying a 230 lb man with 14% body fat weighs more than the 230 lb man with 33% body fat...

o.O
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So just to be clear... you are saying a 230 lb man with 14% body fat weighs more than the 230 lb man with 33% body fat...

o.O

I'm not sure why clarity was an issue, but what I said was: A muscular man the same size as a man with high body fat will weigh more than the fat man. Why? Because muscle weighs more than fat.

To elaborate: If muscle did not weigh more than fat, the 2 men of the same size would weigh the same (or very close) regardless of muscle mass.