The Everything In Moderation Myth

Options

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    this is great. my husband and i were just discussing nuts/pecans last night b/c they have such a high calorie count, and he was concerned. i said it was far better to eat them at 160 cal than a piece of pie for 100 cal.

:noway:

Just teasing. You eat what you want. :smile:
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people can't just learn to enjoy healthy foods? After eating clean for a few weeks, my body completely rejects any kind of burger or fries. Whenever I crave a treat, I crave something like a smoothie or homemade granola bars.

Anyway, I guess I could agree with this article. I've lost weight from just restricting calories but eating junk. When I restrict calories AND eat healthy though, I feel much better about myself, which makes me choose healthy rather than junk. I guess it's just personal experience/opinion.

Quite simply- I don't want too. Also, a diet consisting of chicken nuggets and diet Dr. Pepper will never triumph over a diet of 'clean foods' which seems to be in line with the comparisons made. Apples to oranges.

That said,
    The clean vrs naughty food debate, in my opinion, seems to be based more on personal ideology than science. As much as I may disagree with ones beliefs, I cannot possibly declare them right or wrong. Only different. This debate should be about application and dosage (weird phrasing, I know) of foods instead of healthy vrs unhealthy foods.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I love tartar sauce.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I love tartar sauce.

Do you overindulge?
  • AlbertPooHoles
    Options
    I love tartar sauce.
    Do you overindulge?
    Sometimes. Then, I cry. Then, I eat more tartar sauce. Then...
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I love tartar sauce.
    Do you overindulge?

Tartar sauce made me cry one time. I thought it was ranch dressing.. boy was I surprised.
  • JennyAnn35
    Options
    I think the point of everything in moderation is to not deprive yourself. It makes you less likely to overindulge if you do indulge every so often.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    This part from the article is interesting. I'm assuming they're talking about epigenetics here, and I wish they would have expanded on that. I have no clue what they mean about the protein, though:

Even if you eat small portions, there are such things as “bad” foods, and even a small amount of a bad thing does not equal a good thing. “The food you eat affects your proteins and genes long after it has passed out of your body,” says YouBeauty co-founder Dr. Michael Roizen. “For example, if you consume too much sugar it changes your protein structure for the entire life of that protein, which is 180 days -- so that means that the protein stops doing its job for 180 days.”

No clue. I believe it's from the book he co-authored with Dr. Oz - You the Owner's Manual.
    [/quote}

Both doctors, (I think) are MDs, not molecular or microbiologists, or whoever would know this stuff in depth. In fact, most MDs have extremely little training in nutrition.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    Options
    I love tartar sauce.
    Do you overindulge?
    Tartar sauce made me cry one time. I thought it was ranch dressing.. boy was I surprised.
    Damn -- that's rough.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The DR is not supporting everything in moderation by saying this- he is saying stop couting calories as in I only ate 1200 calories but i only ate 3 peices of pizza 2 glasse sof soda and a snicker bar, and start choosing healthier foods and you dont have to count calories- like what he said about the nuts- dont worry that the nuts are high calorie because they are good for you- choose nuts over soda. I think you can still loose weight eating bad- but I dont think its healthier. I just understood what he was tryna say
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think that article only applies to people who use that as an excuse to eat whatever they want whenever they want. If I get 1 ice cream bar that is 150 cals like 2-3 times a week and it fits into my cals then I think that is fine. If I want to eat an entire container of ice cream even just once a week and do more exercise to make up then I don't think that would work as well.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people can't just learn to enjoy healthy foods? After eating clean for a few weeks, my body completely rejects any kind of burger or fries. Whenever I crave a treat, I crave something like a smoothie or homemade granola bars.

Anyway, I guess I could agree with this article. I've lost weight from just restricting calories but eating junk. When I restrict calories AND eat healthy though, I feel much better about myself, which makes me choose healthy rather than junk. I guess it's just personal experience/opinion.

because I'm 33 years old. I've already learned most of the foods I like and don't like. sure. there may be some that change or that I haven't tried. but, in general, I know. and I know I want to enjoy the taste of my food rather than having to plug my nose and force it down. I refuse to be miserable while eating a meal.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. :-) I make healthier choices, cook often, and on occasion if I'm invited to a party, I eat a piece of sweet or have that glass of wine, etc.

Life is meant to be enjoyed and not worry so much of what you can and can't eat. That's my motto and I'm sticking to it. :-D

For every "bad" food out there, somebody has come out with a healthier version.

Even healthier items in excess have disadvantages. Example: Supplements, vitamins, nuts, avocado, fish, fruit, and yes even water. Believe it or not, you can drink too much water. (water intoxication). Even too much exercise is bad for you.

So in response to your question. Moderation is the key to life. :-D
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think they're misrepresenting the idea of moderation-- moderation means not too much. The article is saying that people use it as a pass to eat as much junk as they want, and to me, that's not "everything in moderation" at all. It's more like "only bad things in excess."
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I agree with amberlangeleni, they are I think after reading the whole article saying that those who say, "yeah, I only eat 1200 calories" but it's all junk is a bad idea while I don't think they addressed at all the idea of occassionally have a small treat and being under. As long as most of the food you eat is healthy, all is well. Reminds me of a poster who said she is losing just fine eating nothing but junk food but only eating 1200 a day. Sure she's losing weight but how healthy is she :)
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I hate to bring up Prof. Haub, but... :ohwell:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Of course, this is only one man's experience, but I found his conclusions interesting.

Personal experience: I've lost nearly 50lbs eating what I want (while maintaining a calorie deficit) and exercising. That includes the occasional dessert and oversized chunk of french bread dipped in balsamic and olive oil. Yum!

I do see the merit of eating healthy, I'm constantly making good changes to my diet as I learn more. I just can't see living the rest of my life without buttercream frosting on my birthday cake. But to each his own. :drinker:

4466044.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    9W3O000Z.jpg
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sometimes it is just easier to abstain and not give yourself the option of going overboard.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options

because I'm 33 years old. I've already learned most of the foods I like and don't like. sure. there may be some that change or that I haven't tried. but, in general, I know. and I know I want to enjoy the taste of my food rather than having to plug my nose and force it down. I refuse to be miserable while eating a meal.

Me too. :smile:
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    If you are exclusively concerned with weight loss, just eat fewer calories. Eventually, you'll lose weight, although you'll probably look and feel terrible if you do it eating nothing but cake and cookies. If you want to be healthy instead of sickly, eat good, healthy foods. If you want to be healthy and thin, eat good, healthy foods in reasonable quantities for your metabolic needs. It's not that complicated. :)