Total wake up cal...(HRM)

Options
OMG...I got a Polar FT7 HRM and used it for the first time ever doing what I love...Elliptical... 42 min ...and these are the stats:

MFP said 712 cals burned

Ellipitical Machine said 500 cals burned

And drum rolll.....

HRM said I only burned 250 cals --- ONLY????

Now wonder I have not been losing weight all this time...seesh! I swear by it now!

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Truly.
    I log my calories burned on MFP but only eat a quarter of them if anything - this proves that I'm right to be sceptical.

Well done on your burn - even if it is 1/3rd what you thought it was, you still earnt it! :wink:
  • BobbyMorgan
    Options
    So Funny that you just posted this. I came across this article that talks about those lying Cardio machines.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/exercise-calorie-counters-work/story?id=9966500#.Tyr2jFyXTIK
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am more apt to believe the Elliptical Machine. I am usually on the Treadmill for 43 mins and both my HRM and the treadmill come to about 500 calories.

I suspect that your settings on the HRM need to be set up correctly. Try resetting the hrm.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I ran across the same thing with my polar ft7 right after christmas. about 200 cal less on the hrm than the machine.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If I'm questioning the results of my HRM I throw the AVG HR into an online calculator and see what it kicks back for my calories burned. Sometimes it's nice to get that second opinion.
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I set my HRM just today with the perfect stats...
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am more apt to believe the Elliptical Machine. I am usually on the Treadmill for 43 mins and both my HRM and the treadmill come to about 500 calories.

I suspect that your settings on the HRM need to be set up correctly. Try resetting the hrm.

I set my HRM just today with the perfect stats...
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The "truth" is probably somewhere in the middle of all those numbers.
  • alexis510
    Options
    Your HRM is probably more (but maybe not exactly) accurate because the numbers are tailored to your body (ie height, weight, age, gender, etc.). Cardio machines don't always include all those variables in their calculations, so they just give you a generic # of calories.
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had the same wake-up call.
    I did 35 min on the elliptical and burned 186 calories according to the HRM.
    Mine was set accurately too.
    Of course, though I was really exerting myself (for my fitness level) I was only on level 1 the whole time.
    I did use the arms.
    But, there is the "after burn" to be happy about.
    Raising the metabolic rate burns more calories per hour for awhile afterwards.
    I'd still like to know though...
    So confusing.
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    This might be a dumb question, but how does the hrm know how many calories we burn? I just got a new one, with a chest strap, and it said I burned 1256 by jogging four miles at only 6mph and a half hour of strength training. Thats way more than even mfp would credit that. Didn't seem super accurate but settings are correct.

Also, does fat burn stop or slow down when we get into cardio zone? I like to work out and push myself,hard, but am I sabotaging myself by not staying in the "far burning" zone?
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    This is good to know! I am getting ready to buy a HRM because I think MFP is over estimating what I am burning. Thanks for sharing!
  • liroez29
    Options
    This might be a dumb question, but how does the hrm know how many calories we burn? I just got a new one, with a chest strap, and it said I burned 1256 by jogging four miles at only 6mph and a half hour of strength training. Thats way more than even mfp would credit that. Didn't seem super accurate but settings are correct.

Also, does fat burn stop or slow down when we get into cardio zone? I like to work out and push myself,hard, but am I sabotaging myself by not staying in the "far burning" zone?

I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to tell you awesome job with the workouts! 6 mph is fantastic! I am only going 5pm, I have gone up to 6mph but I can only do it for a minute or two..lol You Rock!
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    Omg... Thnk you! And 109 lbs? That's crazy amazing! YOU rock!
  • liroez29
    Options
    Omg... Thnk you! And 109 lbs? That's crazy amazing! YOU rock!

Well, thank you too! :blushing:
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    HRM use a calculation to determine the calories that you burned. This site has the calc at the bottom

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

basically they take your age, weight, female/male, VO2 Max , AVG HR and length of workout and can calculate how many calories you burned during the workout. That's the link that I use to double check mine.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Bingo! This is why I ONLY use my HRM now, no matter if I feel like I worked harder than what those calories burned says! :blushing:
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I will be using my new Polar HRM tonight for the first time and your post is exactly what I have been afraid of. I usually do the stairmaster and the treadmill and I do punch in my weight so i'm hoping it's close but i will be so bummed if I'm only actually burning 1/2 the calories i thought I was.
  • kmparasram
    Options
    I am having the exact opposite problem. My HRM always tells me I burn on average about 200 calories more than any machine or what MFP says. I am so confused. My heart rate while working out ranges anywhere from 161-185. I usually maintain the 170ish range while keeping a steady pace. Any tips or advice as to the correct amount burned would be helpful!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the stats are correct. 250 cals in 42 min is less than 6 cals/min, which is quite low unless you are 5' 100 lbs.

Did you enter your weight in KG's as lbs on the watch, that would make it think you are 2.2 times lighter than you are and weight is probably the biggest factor in calories burned.)