Total wake up cal...(HRM)

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Here's a question - do you all continue to wear your HRM after your workout until your heart rate is back to where it started and count your calories burned at that point (heart rate back to normal), or do you only count exactly what was burned during actual exercise, even if your heart rate is still elevated when you're done?

I start mine right when I begin and stopped immediately after I finish... Now in that time I have a 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down....... but that is it.......
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I think this has been part of my problem and a contributor to the plateau I've been experiencing for almost two months. I don't have money for a HRM and I'm working with a somewhat small deficit and I've been eating back exercise calories as I'm approaching a healthy weight. I think my estimated calories burned are too high too. I'm taking off about 1/3 of the estimated calories now. Maybe I'll finally see the scale move again.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This might be a dumb question, but how does the hrm know how many calories we burn? I just got a new one, with a chest strap, and it said I burned 1256 by jogging four miles at only 6mph and a half hour of strength training. Thats way more than even mfp would credit that. Didn't seem super accurate but settings are correct.

Also, does fat burn stop or slow down when we get into cardio zone? I like to work out and push myself,hard, but am I sabotaging myself by not staying in the "far burning" zone?

Because there is a direct correlation between heart rate and workout intensity between a certain heart rate range. Your heart rate is the best way to gauge your calories burned next to actually going and having a test done in a laboratory. As far as fat burning in the 'cardio zone' - you will burn less calories as fat (~50%) in this zone than you will in the typical 'fat burning' zone (~75%) because at that point your exercise become anaerobic rather than aerobic. If you are trying to lose weight, stick to the fat burning zone as long as you want to burn fat.

No no no, ignore zones and just work your *kitten* off. you burn more as a % cals from fat in the lower zone, but less calories and less total fat calories then when working our harder. And due to the recovery process you will burn more fat after the fact the harder you workout.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Ok, totally jumping in on an unrelated topic, but, you all seem to know what you're talking about and I'm stuck.

How do I find out what my heart rate is supposed to be? Different target zones, high heart rate alarm, etc?

Thanks and sorry for the hijack :smile:
    ignore zones, just stay below your max HR and try to keep your HR as high as you can for the duration of working out (this is for cardio) if you workout for an hour you may only be able to sustain an HR of 150, but for a 30 min workout you may be able to keep it at 160. The harder you workout the more cals you burn, the more fit you become, the better and faster your results. Of course if you are new to working out build up to this don't go full out right away.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact opposite problem. My HRM always tells me I burn on average about 200 calories more than any machine or what MFP says. I am so confused. My heart rate while working out ranges anywhere from 161-185. I usually maintain the 170ish range while keeping a steady pace. Any tips or advice as to the correct amount burned would be helpful!!

That's keeping your heart rate pretty high. Believe the HRM.

The issue might be that your actual max HR may be higher than the calculation in the HRM, the HRM assumes you are working at X % of a calculated max, but if your Max HR is actually higher your % of max would be lower. You may want to look into having your max HR tested to see if it is higher than 220-your age.

There is a new formula for women: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/recalibrated-formula-eases-womens-workouts/

206-.88*(your age) = max heart rate for women
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact opposite problem. My HRM always tells me I burn on average about 200 calories more than any machine or what MFP says. I am so confused. My heart rate while working out ranges anywhere from 161-185. I usually maintain the 170ish range while keeping a steady pace. Any tips or advice as to the correct amount burned would be helpful!!

What brand HRM? Polar and Garmin seem to be the most accurate. Try double checking your burn on these 2 sites, if you HRM is much higher it is probably over estimating:
    http://www.gersic.com/calories/index.php?daAge=32&daRHR=52&daAHR=148&daMinutes=27&daSeconds=0&Submit=Submit&action=1
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Yes it's accurate. I reset everything and set it again and in lbs not in kgs. And still it says it's about 200-300 cals. It's a Polar FT7.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and I have found that it and the machines are very close, within 50 calories or so. I also just got a body bugg. Also very close. However, since getting the body bugg, I have learned that MFP's estimate for my TDEE is much lower than what I actually burn in a day when I don't exercise. However, if I exercise, and I eat those calories back per MFP, I have a very small deficit remaining. So I am going to try not eating all my exercise calories back.

To the lady that asked about wearing your HRM after you finish working out...your heart rate should return to resting fairly quickly. That is a measure of how healthy your heart is.
  • erickirb
    Options

What brand HRM? Polar and Garmin seem to be the most accurate. Try double checking your burn on these 2 sites, if you HRM is much higher it is probably over estimating:
    http://www.gersic.com/calories/index.php?daAge=32&daRHR=52&daAHR=148&daMinutes=27&daSeconds=0&Submit=Submit&action=1
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Yes it's accurate. I reset everything and set it again and in lbs not in kgs. And still it says it's about 200-300 cals. It's a Polar FT7.

what was your average HR?
    And what did the other 2 sites give you as calories burned?
  • jadedone
    Options
    Ok, totally jumping in on an unrelated topic, but, you all seem to know what you're talking about and I'm stuck.

How do I find out what my heart rate is supposed to be? Different target zones, high heart rate alarm, etc?

ignore zones, just stay below your max HR and try to keep your HR as high as you can for the duration of working out (this is for cardio) if you workout for an hour you may only be able to sustain an HR of 150, but for a 30 min workout you may be able to keep it at 160. The harder you workout the more cals you burn, the more fit you become, the better and faster your results. Of course if you are new to working out build up to this don't go full out right away.

Working your heart harder (higher heart rate) burns more calories after the workout when you are resting. More calories burned - better results.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/exercise/story/2011-09-01/Bonus-for-exercisers-Calories-burn-long-after-workout/50224116/1
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have found logging in my elliptical training as uphill walking 3.5mph gives a more accurate result.

using the heart rate on the precor down the gym I am about 145-155 in my main 14 mins and 135 for my 5 min cool down and I do two rounds of that. That gives a calorie burn of 670 by heart rate calcs.

uphill walking for 38 mins gives me 620, elliptical for 38 mins says 930.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Working your heart harder (higher heart rate) burns more calories after the workout when you are resting. More calories burned - better results.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/exercise/story/2011-09-01/Bonus-for-exercisers-Calories-burn-long-after-workout/50224116/1

Thank you both. How do I figure out what my max HR should be. I am *really* new to using HRMs, lol. :blushing:
  • erickirb
    Options
    You can Google Max HR testing to get a few, but normally it should be done by a professional but you can try on your own and should be able to get close.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This might be a dumb question, but how does the hrm know how many calories we burn? I just got a new one, with a chest strap, and it said I burned 1256 by jogging four miles at only 6mph and a half hour of strength training. Thats way more than even mfp would credit that. Didn't seem super accurate but settings are correct.

HRM's do not accurately report calories burned when doing any exercise under a load. So if you are lifting weights, the HRM will grossly over report your burn. Don't use the HRM to measure when you lift.
  • rrgrove
    Options
    the same thing happened to me the hrm was at least 100 calories lower than what mfp was saying im now in love with it
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've done both (machine and hrm ) and only nitced maybe a 15 calories difference. I dont usually go by mfp unless i forget to get my monitor on.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It is important to remember that the HRM is only an estimate, just like the treadmill and MFP are only estimates. While the HRM is probably more accurate, our heart rate DOES NOT determine the number of calories burned. If you are wondering you can check out this article from the University of New Mexico. It is a little dated (1992) but that doesn't make it inaccurate information.

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/caloricexp.html
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    I always go by my HRM! The best piece of fitness equipment I bought!
  • pethead30
    pethead30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Your max heart rate is usually 220 - your age. So I am 34 and my max heart rate is 220- 34 = 186. Your target heart rate zone for fat burning can be found using the following link:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/461832-heart-zone-training-fat-loss/
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This is good info. Thanks. I am getting a HRM because I have been on a plateau and no matter what I do, I can't seem to break it. i think that MFP is overestimating my calories as well.
  • jadedone
    Options

Thank you both. How do I figure out what my max HR should be. I am *really* new to using HRMs, lol. :blushing:

I posted a link a few posts back.
    Men: 220- your age
    Women (average fitness): 206 - (.88 * your age)