Anybody try The Simple Diet?

Options
I started Monday and I've lost 3 pounds so far.

Replies

• jj1983
    jj1983 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What is it?
  • maryjay76
    maryjay76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is it that simple, LOL. I wanna try. What is it?
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What is it?

I'm curious about it too
  • Shanaedunn
    Shanaedunn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What is it?
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    never heard of it do explain
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Cue a lot of confused people googling 'the simple diet' :laugh:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell without having to actually buy the darned book is you eat healthy and don't buy celebrity diet plans? I don't know...looks like another doctor wrote a book about how to eat healthy
  • hotcocoa8
    hotcocoa8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What is it?

Three shakes and two entrees. The shakes you add piece a fruit to each, and with your entrees you add 5 servings of vegetables.

You are to walk 2 miles a day or at least get 30 to 60 minutes of physical activities a day.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Cue a lot of confused people googling 'the simple diet' :laugh:

you would love this website. hehe

http://lmgtfy.com/
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Customer Reviews
    The Simple Diet: A Doctor's Science-Based Plan

Average Customer Review
    5.0 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)
    Share your thoughts with other customers
    Create your own review

22 of 22 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Effective Diet Book, January 13, 2012
    By
    Anne L. Anderson - See all my reviews
    This review is from: The Simple Diet: A Doctor's Science-Based Plan (Paperback)
    I can't recommend this book more highly. Over the years, I have read many diet books, some good, others just downright bad. But this book is the exception. Not only is it an engaging read (I was particularly shocked by the chapter on the potential dangers of bariatric surgery), but it is, as others have mentioned, a very do-able, practical, and economical program to follow. What's more, Dr. Anderson is very upfront about his struggles with his own weight. So you don't get the feeling that you are being preached to, but rather guided by a benevolent, been-there sage, who truly understands your frustrations and pains as you grapple with your weight issues. Also, Dr. Anderson offers really workable suggestions if you're faced with one of those days (or weeks) where you just can't satiate your hunger--have another shake or even one or more extra meals, up your fruit and veggies (none of this drink a gallon of water while concentrating on affirmations). Eating more Simple Diet foods are turns out to be a better alternative than, say, binging, crying, journaling and will not derail your efforts.

And if you're wondering if the plan works, I can only speak from experience. I have been following the diet for less than a week and have dropped 4.5 pounds, even though my exercise has been spotty. As I increase my activity, which I feel very motivated to do, I expect that the remaining 30 lbs will drop off within a reasonable amount of time. But in a way, I'm not that bothered by the timeline. The diet is so varied, so satisfying, so in-synch with my busy life as a mom, volunteer and writer, that I feel I could stay on it indefinitely and be perfectly satisfied and happy.

Thank you, Dr. Anderson, for penning such an encouraging, insightful, and effective book!
    Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
    Report abuse | Permalink
    Comment Comment (1)

16 of 16 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Simple Diet!, January 5, 2012
    By
    thestitchdiva - See all my reviews
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: The Simple Diet: A Doctor's Science-Based Plan (Kindle Edition)
    This book truly lives up to it's name. I have been searching for something like this for a long time. Very easy to follow, gives specific and inexpensive meal options and changes the way your think about eating! Started 7 days ago and down 7lbs with no drastic changes. Finding the changes very easy to maintain!
    What did I need, this book and a blender!

Hamilton Beach 54615 Wavestation Express Dispensing Blender with 48-Ounce Jar, Black
    Report abuse | Permalink
    Comment Comments (6)

13 of 13 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars *Very* Simple (and effective!) Diet!, January 20, 2012
    By
    LouAnn - See all my reviews
    I don't have enough positive things to say about this book or the diet itsself. I was planning on waiting a few months before writing a review, but I'm just too excited! This diet focuses on calories in/calories out, which is extremely important to me. There is no "miracle" behind it. Just healthy meal choices and plenty of exersize. I'm never hungry as I'm able to eat something small every 2-3 hours. If you're watchful, the diet is also relatively inexpensive. I put my name on mailing lists to recieve coupons and since the meals are kept in the freezer, I can stock up when they're on sale. There is no measuring, no counting calories, or countless hours spent cooking a meal I probably won't even eat, or eat way too much of without realizing its double the correct portion. There is no guesswork.

The book was also very well written and full of success stories and research proving why this diet will work, even if others similar wouldn't. It also comes with shopping lists, charts, etc. The only complaint I have is I bought the book on my Kindle, so I had to type annd print all that information when it could've been photocopied from the book.

Overall, I've been following the diet about 85% but still have been averaging a 3lb/week weight loss. Love, love, love it!!
    Report abuse | Permalink
    Comment Comment

8 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you....thank you....thank you...for bringing out a such a simple diet book, January 6, 2012
    By
    VJ - See all my reviews
    This is one of the best book on weight loss that is based on scientific evidence yet it is easy to read, understand and put to use right away. There are no gimmicks and it provides so many practical choices that will easily fit into one's lifestyle. To make a change into a habit it takes 45 days, go ahead and try. I truly believe that once you see the results you never want to go back as the benefits are tremondous not only weight loss but also other health benefits.

Thanks Dr. Anderson for your lifelong crusade against obeisty and diabetes.
    Report abuse | Permalink
    Comment Comment

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars THE SIMPLE DIET, January 30, 2012
    By
    Nana - See all my reviews
    THE SIMPLE DIET is the best diet my family has ever been on. We have tried lots of diets. This diet is a healthy way to lose those unwanted pounds. If you follow the diet plan, it is balanced for you. I keep a journal keeping up with my Entree, Shake/Soup, Fruit/Veggie, Non-Calorie Drinks and Bars. You never have to be hungry. At first, we ate a lot because it was new foods and good tasteing. After a few weeks, we are satisfied and still have no problems staying on the diet plan. Inches and weight are coming off faster than with any other diets we have tried. That is so exciting!!! We are thankful we have found a diet that is healthy. Being a diabetic, my blood sugar has dropped for the firt time in 14 years. Boy, will my doctor be surprised on my next visit. We started the diet 1-2-2012. Our losses range from 8lbs, 14lbs and 18lbs. Are we excited or what!
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What is it?

Three shakes and two entrees. The shakes you add piece a fruit to each, and with your entrees you add 5 servings of vegetables.

You are to walk 2 miles a day or at least get 30 to 60 minutes of physical activities a day.

So ... you eat less and move more? Hrm ... that sounds like this other diet I heard of but can't quite remember the name!
  • Kaetheb
    Kaetheb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for almost 5 days and I've lost 7 pounds. It's a little like Jenny Craig/NutriSystem, a little like Atkins/Zone, and a little like the SlimFast 3-2-1 plan. In general, this is a very structured 1100-1500 calorie diet. While I've seen tons of diet books by doctors before (some of which are PhD's vs MD's), this doctor has had years of research specifically dealing with morbidly-obese patients. So having read the book, I'd say it's really best for people with a significant amount of weight to lose, versus someone struggling with that last 5 or 10 pounds.

The plan is divided into 3 phases. The first phase is the longest and most intense, since that's 80% of your goal weight loss. .

In Phase 1, you have 3 shakes a day. He makes specific recommendations for choosing your own, and also provides a suggested list of specific products, from the ubiquitous SlimFast and Weight Watchers to some of the pricier GNC varieties. You also have 2 frozen entrees a day (Again, includes recommendations and selection criteria). In addtion, you have a *minimum* of 5 daily servings of fruits and veggies (usually 1 cup, 1/2 if it's a starchy veg like peas or corn), plus 8 cups of water (and that can be in most no-cal liquid forms, such as tea and Crystal Light), and a low-dose multivitamin. You switch to a slighly less-structured Phase 2 at the last 20% and then finally a maintenance plan.

For exercise, he recommends at least 30-60 minutes of exercise per day 6 days a week, to reach a target goal of burning 2,000 calories per week.

The weight loss promises seem a little 'ambitious' to me. They do happen, especially if you have more than 100 pounds to lose, but I just chalk it up to marketing. But if having a little TOO much freedom in your food choices hasn't been working for you, this may be worth a try. That's been the case for me.
  • ashcan_22
    ashcan_22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just bought the book. Gonna give it a try seems similar to the Jenny Craig type of thing but they give you a list of stuff you can get at the grocery store. Very structured and takes that what to eat out of it. Hopefully I can stick with it as I am at least 65 lbs overweight.
  • Neesaraha
    Options
    My husband and I started this diet the day after New Years (resolution and all :)
    It is very simple, and very economical. We have been doing 5 fruits & vegetables and day, with a weight-loss shake in between if we are hungry and then one of the entrees for dinner. My hubby is a "home cooked meal" kind of guy so if I cook a meal, I just make sure it is between 300-500 calories for each portion. I don't include the veggies or salad as those are "free". The weight loss shakes are cheapest at WalMart, and also the entree meals. I have found it very easy to follow and you don't have to spend lots of money! So far my hubby has lost 26 pounds and I have lost 14. It's harder for me as I've had a hysterectomy so I do not lose as fast, but it's coming off and we LOVE it. Truly SIMPLE!
  • lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for almost 5 days and I've lost 7 pounds. It's a little like Jenny Craig/NutriSystem, a little like Atkins/Zone, and a little like the SlimFast 3-2-1 plan. In general, this is a very structured 1100-1500 calorie diet.
  • lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be one of those caloric intake bashers, but the low end of that calorie range (at 1100) seems awfully low, no? I would assume that most folks would lose weight eating so few calories (at least for a while), but I wonder if that is actually healthy? Basically, people will lose if they are exercising more, removing unhealthy foods from their diet and replacing them with healthy things like fruits and veggies, which seems like what this diet is advocating. I suppose the ease of putting it together is attractive for some, certainly for those who are very busy or hate to cook, as it's easy to grab a shake or ready-made entree, and if there is anything I have learned on these boards, it's that different approaches work for different people. It sounds like those of you who are doing it are very happy with your results, I'm glad you have found something that works for you! I'm curious about where you keep yourself calorie-wise?
  • Princesstamika
    Princesstamika Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on The Simple Diet since January 14, 2013 and I have lost 26 pounds to date. I would love to swap some protein shake recipes. Of course, I went online (Amazon.com) and paid $1.99 for the book but I am sure someone out there is a recipe King/Queen and have created others. Maybe even ideas for vegetables and fun ways to prepare them? Also, finding the grocery stores that have lean cuisine/healthy choice on sale every other week or so would be a great thread lol. I try to keep my deep freezer stocked with frozen meals that I caught on sale. Just a few suggestions because I would like to stay on this diet until I lose 74 more pounds!?!?!
  • pkmnmstrshay
    pkmnmstrshay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've started the Simple Diet today and am very excited. I have problems with portion control so having the microwavable entrees will help me alot. I'm hoping to lose about 50-60 pounds. Wish me luck!
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't have a comment on this particular diet, but a lot of the affirmations on this thread come from people who have had a successful first WEEK. I think it's fantastic that you're working to change your life and improve your health, and that you're seeing early good results.

But the thing is, most diet plans work really well for the first week. Heck, When I started, I dropped four pounds in the first two days just from drinking more water!

Again, I'm not saying this diet is good or bad, and I'm not trying to say that ONLY people who have lost a lot can have useful advice to share, I'm only saying: Take "first week" results with a grain of salt.

Good luck to everybody on whichever strategy you decide to try.
  • tbonnz110
    tbonnz110 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought the book The Simple Diet By Dr. james Anderson. I stocked up on supplies today. My husband and I had APPX 30lb weight on Nutrisystem 2 years ago. The taste of the products got tiresome and of course it's expensive. Dr. Anderson ran the UK weight loss research dept and specializes in people who need to lose large amounts of weight. I need to lose about 40 pounds.