I miss peanut butter!!!

Options
Does anyone know of a peanut butter that is not totally loaded with calories? I have been using JIF Reduced fat but that still seems to have a lot. I haven't been using it much and I miss it! Any suggestions?????

Replies

• daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    Does anyone know of a peanut butter that is not totally loaded with calories? I have been using JIF Reduced fat but that still seems to have a lot. I haven't been using it much and I miss it! Any suggestions?????
  • JMez
    JMez Posts: 18
    Options
    :sad: I would like to know this as well!!! I love peanut butter and have been missing it terribly......:sad:
    Any suggestions would be welcome.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i eat regular peanut butter and just allot it into my calories. :drinker:

the reduced fat has more sodium and carbs (i think) so i just buy the regular.
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i eat regular peanut butter and just allot it into my calories. :drinker:

the reduced fat has more sodium and carbs (i think) so i just buy the regular.

Yes, reduced fat peanut butter has more sodium and carbs...I also eat all natural, but Jif extra crunchy pb, just had some with celery...mmmm:tongue:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I don't like natural or chunky peanut butter so I still buy Jiff.

I use the Simply Jiff though because it is less in sodium and sugar, the calories are about the same. There isn't really low calorie peanut butter....sadly

I eat peanut butter just about everyday, no reason to miss out just because you are counting calories!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I get Smuckers Organic PB. It has no salt or sugar...........just good ol fashion peanuts!

PB is a staple in my food log. It fills me up with good fats and protien, that is needed to keep healthy.

1 tbls PB, 1 slice PepFarms Litestyle Oatmeal Bread Toasted is a yummy snack.

Also most grocery stores sell fresh ground PB in the deli section.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I use the naturals, Organic or the no sugar added. You'd be surprised what the stores are finally carrying.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    I grind organic kosher peanuts at the health food store:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making your own? Some stores now have grinders to do this.

try here:

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/

There is a store here in Ft. Wayne where I live but you can also order online.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    I grind organic kosher peanuts at the health food store:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

hey, do you know the calorie and fat content on this??? I love fresh ground peanut butter.
  • LittleGoatie
    LittleGoatie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people don't like the natural peanut butters, but it is so much better for you. The JIF style peanut butter is just peanut flavor and crisco. Real peanut butter still has fat, but it is healthy fat that protects your heart more than it clogs it.
    Personally, I love the stuff. Go ahead and try it, you might be surprised. Just be sure to mix in the oils on top--DO NOT pour it out!!
    Good luck, and tasty eats!
  • skermit23
    skermit23 Posts: 31
    Options
    I switched my peanut butter to the Smart Balance Brand and can't taste a difference
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I know a lot of people don't like the natural peanut butters, but it is so much better for you. The JIF style peanut butter is just peanut flavor and crisco. Real peanut butter still has fat, but it is healthy fat that protects your heart more than it clogs it.
    Personally, I love the stuff. Go ahead and try it, you might be surprised. Just be sure to mix in the oils on top--DO NOT pour it out!!
    Good luck, and tasty eats!

Reading from the back of Simply Jiff for ingredients: roasted peanuts, contains 2% or less of: fully hydrogenated vegetable oils, mono-and diglicerides, molasses, sugar, salt.

So...I'm pretty sure it's real peanuts and there is very little added oil in it (although the additives do seem gross when you think about natural peanut butter containing nothing other than peanuts, I am definitely not saying Simply Jiff is better for you than natural peanut butter). I really can't stand the taste of the natural stuff, I need those 2grams of sugar per serving...and when you're only having one serving...isn't it worth it?
  • wonderwouldyou
    wonderwouldyou Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Skippy Natural is a good one!

Its Peanuts, Salt and Palm Kernel Oil to keer it from seperating.

Good stuff ! Tastes great too!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2 by Bell Plantation?

http://www.bellplantation.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=35

They use real peanuts and then remove the fat and turn it into a powder. You add the water back in and you have low -at peanut butter. Or, if you are baking, you can just add the powder into the recipe. Some people add the powder into their protein shakes too.

It's got 85% less fat than regular peanut butter and no artificial preservatives.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    just a tip for all you natural pb lovers. after you mix it te first time store it upside down you wont ave to mix it and you wont end up with the dry chalky pb at the bottom of the jar
    :drinker:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Regular Creamy JIF in my house, I just dont eat it that much!
  • maree
    maree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try almond butter! It is way more delicious then peanut butter!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is really good and has less fat. Cashew butter has even less calories.

I actually needed extra fat to boost my ratios to 40/30/30 so I use Smart Balance's Organic Peanut Butter which uses flax oil and is very rich in omega 3's.
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love all sorts of butters! Almond butter-sunflower seed butter. You just have to alot them into your day and never have more than a quick swipe on a piece of bread. Don't forget peanut or any kind nut or seed butter are excellent for protein. My favorite pick-me-up in the afternoon-sunflower seed butter on one piece of Ancients grains bread and top w/ overripe bananas!!mmmm:love: