Article: Sugar is fueling the global obesity pandemic

Options

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    we're not doing very well learning on our own, are we? The world is getting fatter and sicker. Who is going to do the teaching?

Choosing to intake sugar is a choice. Each of us is given free will to choose. The problem is that our free will causes us to abuse this substance. We must learn moderation and to eat a healthy balance. The government will not teach us this. It is something that we must learn on our own. Government can make suggestions, but they will never legislate our behaviors or things that we can control with our free will. That's my 2 cents worth.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    we're not doing very well learning on our own, are we? The world is getting fatter and sicker. Who is going to do the teaching?

Choosing to intake sugar is a choice. Each of us is given free will to choose. The problem is that our free will causes us to abuse this substance. We must learn moderation and to eat a healthy balance. The government will not teach us this. It is something that we must learn on our own. Government can make suggestions, but they will never legislate our behaviors or things that we can control with our free will. That's my 2 cents worth.

Exactly. This is why we must submit to the will of those who know what we should do with our lives.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Exactly. This is why we must submit to the will of those who know what we should do with our lives.

... or maybe just listen to the experts and look at the evidence and make informed decisions?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    So they just want to charge more for sugar, thinking that'll stop people having it.

Yeah, like that's worked in other things. This reminds me of that fat tax thread. People who want it will still have, just pay more for it...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Show me any indication that sugar consumption is unhealthy in the presence of a caloric deficit and while owning a toothbrush and I'll consider any of this valid.

Sugar is not the problem nor is insulin. Excess calorie intake and an increase in sedentary lifestyle is the problem.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Anything in excess can be harmful. What is going to be demonized next? If these do-gooders had their way, we wouldn't eat anything. I'm tired of people and government sticking their noses in our business.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    While my low personal opinion of Lustig based on a particular article/video where he demonstrated extreme confirmation bias and outright misinformation to get his point across, there is certainly some truth to this article. When sugar and foods that contain high amounts of sugar represent the lions share of a diet on a percentage basis and when someone is consuming over a maintenance level, which is an important factor, then there certainly is concern, no doubt about it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar consumption in the US has decreased over the last decade and by % of total kcal consumed decreased over the last 40 yrs
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    While my low personal opinion of Lustig based on a particular article/video where he demonstrated extreme confirmation bias and outright misinformation to get his point across, there is certainly some truth to this article. When sugar and foods that contain high amounts of sugar represent the lions share of a diet on a percentage basis and when someone is consuming over a maintenance level, which is an important factor, then there certainly is concern, no doubt about it.

^ Bolded the key parts. Given that context I would say "there's a big problem", but I think that blaming sugar is pretty far-fetched as is trying to regulate it. It's the calorie surplus and mind-numbingly stupid diet that the individual is on that is to blame.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Meats, eggs, and nut kcals decreased 4%.

Dairy kcals decreased 3%.

Percentage of fruit kcals stayed the same.

Percentage of vegetable kcals stayed the same.

Flour and cereal product kcals increased 3%.

Added fat kcals are up 7%,

Added sugars kcals decreased 1%

Total energy intake in 1970 averaged 2172 kcal. By 2007 this hiked up to 2775 kcal, a 603 kcal increase.

Taking a hard look at the data above, it appears that the rise in obesity is due in large part to an increase in caloric intake in general, rather than an increase in added sugars in particular.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

^ Bolded the key parts. Given that context I would say "there's a big problem", but I think that blaming sugar is pretty far-fetched as is trying to regulate it. It's the calorie surplus and mind-numbingly stupid diet that the individual is on that is to blame.

Absolutely. Sugar should not be regulated and it should be based on individual choice, but like all choices, information is vital to make the right descision and in that context, it would probably make more sense to promote lifestyle instead of demonizing an ingredient and paining a bullseye on it and taking credit for the cause of obesity, much like was done and still is being done with cholesterol, saturated fat, refined sugar, white flour etc........and all the foods that are associated with those ingredients, to me, that is catalyst that has fueled the nutritional dissection that has led us down the wrong road for over the last 40 years. Lets face it, when the FDA is changing how and what we eat every 5 years based on newer science, it's obvious to me that they are either forgetting what real food is or their driven by politics and lobby groups, I seem to think the later.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Absolutely. Sugar should not be regulated and it should be based on individual choice, but like all choices, information is vital to make the right descision and in that context, it would probably make more sense to promote lifestyle instead of demonizing an ingredient and paining a bullseye on it and taking credit for the cause of obesity, much like was done and still is being done with cholesterol, saturated fat, refined sugar, white flour etc........and all the foods that are associated with those ingredients, to me, that is catalyst that has fueled the nutritional dissection that has led us down the wrong road for over the last 40 years. Lets face it, when the FDA is changing how and what we eat every 5 years based on newer science, it's obvious to me that they are either forgetting what real food is or their driven by politics and lobby groups, I seem to think the later.

^ good post as usual sir.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Sugar really is killing us. Education, not regulation.

^^^ ITA. In my opinion, the only place they should be regulating it is in processed foods.... but dang it, I want to make my homemade cookies and sweets (which I really don't do all that often) without having an ID check.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    How absolutely bizarre: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21171482

That's what I get for pubmedding it at 11 at night. Apparently sugar is a pain killer. Eat up, y'all.

Good enough. :wink:
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Apparently I have low blood sugar....so pass the sugar to me please :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Oh yes let's all blame something else instead of the actual problem, just like the education system. Sugar is not the enemy the same way the majority of schools are not the reason kids are dumb as a bag of wet bricks. You choose your intake level the same way kids choose not to put an effort in to learning.

If we're gonna point fingers, can we at least point them in the right direction?
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Depends on the regulation, I would not mind seeing regulations on products targeted to children. Education is one thing but another to create a "healthy whole grain" breakfast cereal like Honey Smacks or Fruit Loops that has more sugar than a twinkie

http://z6mag.com/health/sugar-cereals-like-honey-smacks-captain-crunch-froot-loops-worse-than-a-twinkie-163688.html
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options
    Oh for the love of God.
    These sancti-fit nutri-nazis won't rest until we are regulated, womb-to-tomb.

^^ :heart: this!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    To be exact:

Eating sugar is fueling the obesity epidemic.

The cure:

Don't eat sugar.