Article: Sugar is fueling the global obesity pandemic

Options

Replies

• pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    serious?? the last thing this country needs is MORE government.
    OMG, if you were available I'd love to marry you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    To be exact:

Eating sugar is fueling the obesity epidemic.

The cure:

Don't eat sugar.
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone gets it. Thank you for a voice of reason.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hmmm there are two points of view to consider in regulating sugar IMHO.

1. On the one hand there is no doubt that big business in the food industry often does the wrong thing in slowly raising sugar levels of foods that we don't even think as having sugar! This does need to be regulated or at least made a lot more transparent (eg do we really need breakfast cereals which are meant to give us a healthy start to the day to be literally covered in sugar?)

2. On the other hand at the consumer level, I believe that government should NOT be overly interventionist (we DO want to know that we have the choice of baking or buying a nice cake on our birthday!)

I agree that at the consumer level, education is the key. What we don't want is Big Brother telling us what to do.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'm moving to southern France the day a sugar regulation is put into place by the US gov. It's f'ed up enough that the gov closes down raw dairy farms and such.

What I choose to put into my mouth (food-wise) is no one's business but my own. Yes, I would defend my right to do so by breaking a law. No, I'm not an anarchist, but I am a libertarian.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, let's blame sugar. What else can we blame?

Oh...nothing. I keep forgetting.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a part of the problem. Gluttony and endless supply of food IS the problem. I saw soda pop in 8 oz bottles as a child swell up to freaking gallons jugs from the local gas station. I also remember when as a child if you were inside the house it was only because we had to go to bed sometime. 90% of our day was outdoors year round playing not just pushing buttons on computers and gaming consoles.

Sugar isn't the problem. We used to eat tons as kids from all those baked goods grandma made. We were all bones. We burned those calories. Society was physically active. I also want to point out that we didn't eat out and if we did it was the same thing you could get at home with the exception that somebody else did the cooking.. The fast food chains came about and polluted eating out with there trash foods. Its already been proven that you can eat nothing but McDonalds or Wendy's and still lose weight if you maintain caloric deficit goal.

People need to limit themselves to one soda a pop a day if that, exercise if you don't have a physical job and quit eating like a pig. Lack of discipline and over abundance of food is what is the problem not sugar. It's easier to blame a substance then it is the real problem ie the person that can't say freaking no.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Sugar really is killing us. Education, not regulation.

Sugar isn't killing anyone, too much sugar might be. Then again, too much anything will also kill you. Water for instance. Relax America, don't burn down your local Krispy Creme, just don't eat a box in one sitting.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    To be exact:

Eating sugar is fueling the obesity epidemic.

The cure:

Don't eat sugar.

:heart:
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes, please, let's put a DEA regulation on sugar! Then we'll take away your right to have cake on your birthday! OMG it will be so wonderful to let the government tell us all what to do!!

You broke my sarcasm meter. You owe me $18.95
  • MattGetsMad
    Options
    Sugar consumption in the US has decreased over the last decade and by % of total kcal consumed decreased over the last 40 yrs

Is that due to the introduction of corn sugar, or is that just overall?
  • ReneeIsSoAwesome
    Options
    I have a precious grand daughter who is not two years old yet. her mother and father are both obese, nearly morbidly obese, what do you think the chances of my baby ending up the same way? I think for her sake, since her parents won't do it, then please let the government. Look at all the money this country, via medicaid spends on people who just won't back away from the table.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah - blame it on sugar. How about WE ALL take responsibility for our global obesity pandemic rather than blaming it on food items. I'm seriously getting tired of all this bologne about how this food or that food is causing people to be fat. It's really stupid if you think about it. Food doesn't cause us to get fat unless we eat too much of it hence who's at fault here.. WE ARE! So barring a medical disorder like hypothyroidism, all you blamers out there take a good hard look in the mirror and you will find the culprit!

Which is why we're all here. :) Cause we ROCK!
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes, please, let's put a DEA regulation on sugar! Then we'll take away your right to have cake on your birthday! OMG it will be so wonderful to let the government tell us all what to do!!

You broke my sarcasm meter. You owe me $18.95
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar consumption in the US has decreased over the last decade and by % of total kcal consumed decreased over the last 40 yrs

Looking at the data from 1970-2009, cane/beet sugar consumption dropped by 128cals per day and corn sweeteners increased by 168cals over that time period. Cals from corn sweeteners peaked in 1999 @ 281 cals daily and since decreased to 221 cals daily in 2009
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Get rid of high fructose corn syrup and putting it in EVERYTHING, and go back to real sugar. Problem solved. Also, cut out putting even regular sugar in everything -- bread, tomato sauce, I could go on. It's unnecessary.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options

It has to be, I see sugar (in any form) in so many things now that don't belong, that it couldn't have gone down!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Get rid of high fructose corn syrup and putting it in EVERYTHING, and go back to real sugar. Problem solved. Also, cut out putting even regular sugar in everything -- bread, tomato sauce, I could go on. It's unnecessary.
    Not really. It was the cost (corn is highly subsidized) that propelled HFCS along with better consistancy in production and shelf life. Only NA uses HFCS but obesity is worldwide, basically sugar is sugar.
  • MattGetsMad
    Options

Looking at the data from 1970-2009, cane/beet sugar consumption dropped by 128cals per day and corn sweeteners increased by 168cals over that time period. Cals from corn sweeteners peaked in 1999 @ 281 cals daily and since decreased to 221 cals daily in 2009

Thanks for the info! You're like a living encyclopedia!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pain relief, Rebekah. I made you these. :flowerforyou:

pink_cupcake_stars.jpg
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pain relief, Rebekah. I made you these. :flowerforyou:

pink_cupcake_stars.jpg

AWWWWWWWW. I love 'em. They even have sprinkles! Star shaped ones!