Vinegars Can Help You Stay Lean and Fit

Options
I love Vinegar and enjoy many types of it. I have a book called "The Healing Powers of Vinegar" and it has great information on the power of vinegar. The two most powerful vinegars are Apple Cider and Grape vinegars. People from all walks of life believe apple rich apple cider vinegar aids digestion, helps maintain weight, and keeps blood pressure down. Apple cider vinegar is also known to relieve congestion and maintain healthy skin.

Vinegar is one of the oldest fermented food products known to man- except wine. Vinegar contains polyphenois, a powerful antioxidant. Catechin, a flavomoid believed to prevent cancer. Flavonoids, Quercein and Resveratrol to aid in heart disease.

So I ask.... What vinegar do you enjoy most? Or, are you like me and have one of each kind in your fridge? I love Apple Cider, White Wine, Red Wine, Rice and Balsamic. What do you enjoy your vinegar with? I use mine straight on vegetables. I love the flavors.

12908857.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The acetic acid in vinegar acts as a blood purifier and detoxification agent, enabling toxins to be more easily transported and excreted from the body. Used on a daily basis.... on salads in dressings for example - apple cider vinegar acts as a culinary fat burner. The Acetic acid has the ability to blunt carbohydrate meetaboplism and thus slow down the absorption of carbohydrates into the system, preventing them from being stored as fat. It can also lower blood sugar by as much as 30%, resulting in low insulin levels, which in turn inhibit fat metabolism.

Apple Cider Vinegar can help you loose inches faster than pounds. Due to high potassium levels, which help flush out water logged tissues, created by excessive amounts of water-retaining sodium. Bye Bye Bloat!
  • bademasi
    Options
    MAKE YOUR OWN SALSA

1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    1 clove garlic chopped
    1 tablespoon light olive oil
    3 cups chopped very ripe tomatoes
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    3 tablespoons canned japapeno peppers chopped
    2-1/2 tablespoons Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar
    2 tablespoons chopped or fresh cilantro
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    pepper if desired

Microwave onion, green pepper, garlic and oil for 1 minute on high, covered. Add tomatoes and oregano, microwave 2 minutes on high. Stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate overnight to blend flavor. Keeps for a week or freezes well. Makes about 3 cups sauce for 8 to 10 servings.
  • bademasi
    Options
    EASY BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE OR MARINADE

8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons chives, minced
    2 teaspoons parsley, minced
    2 teaspoons thyme, minced
    salt and pepper to taste

Serve over your favorite salad or marinate fish, chicken or beef. For a variation, add 2 teaspoons of Dijon-style mustard.
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great Post I'm going to try it :)
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I love vinegar too
    I like rice vinegar and use sesame oil for Asian salads
    I like balsamic vinegar on pasta, and use it with olive oil for roasting veggies and dipping bread sticks
    I like apple cider vinegar with walnut oil and i use a capful of braggs apple cider vinegar in water

all are great for marinades
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    good info :-)
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just thought I would pass this on. I'm a homebrewer and make all kinds of homemade drinks, and I've come across sekanjabins. A sekanjabin is a middle eastern medieval drink made with vinegar. Basically it is equal parts sugar and vinegar with mint leaves.

I found this on : http://www.giovannastrifles.com/

Adapted from Claudia Roden’s A Book of Middle Eastern Food

Makes about 3 cups syrup, enough for 8+ servings

1-1/4 cups water
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
    4 big sprigs of mint (or a very generous handful of borage flowers or about 8 bay leaves)
    Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves.
    Add the vinegar (don’t breathe in the fumes unless you want to clear your sinuses), and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
    Take the pan off the stove and submerge the mint in the syrup. Let cool to room temperature.
    Remove the mint (I left the borage flowers and the bay leaves in the container), and refrigerate.
    To serve, put about 4-5 tablespoons in a glass with ice cubes, and fill with seltzer. Roden suggests adding a little grated cucumber to the drink, which sounds nice. Or add a few blackberries. Do garnish with mint.

Do note that this is to make a syrup that you further dilute with water and ice, not drink straight.

I have made a raspberry sekanjabin that I think is really nice. The blend of tart and sweet is a perfect blend for summer.

Cheers!
  • aa323
    aa323 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like balsamic mmm! I eat it by itself as salad dressing. I've never used apple cider vinegar for anything other than baking, but my grandma used to drink a glass of it every day (back in the early 90s) as a weight loss aid.
  • divamsm
    divamsm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love vinegar! Like you, I have balsamic, red wine vinegar, pomegranate infused red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, and white vinegar. I love to just drink it like a shot with a bit of salt (kinda like doing a shot of tequila - lol). I love pickle juice :happy: too!
  • andreacord
    Options
    I take apple cider vinegar for my tummy and then I love balsamic on salads. :)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    and kill you, they are acid

They are acid BUT how do they REACT in the Body? They DO NOT act as acid IN the Body but has the OPPOSITE EFFECT...Especially Apple Cider Vinegar.

People just AMAZE me as to how sooo many Just Don't have ANY common sense: I was looking at a Documentary about Nutrition and the Doctor was naming all of the Wonderful things just 2 handfuls of Cashews can do for the body, nutritionally. He said the first thing some of his patients said when he recommended that they eat Cashews is, "Isn't that a lot of calories!?" OMG, what IDIOTS...they have a "Medicine" right in their faces and they worry about calories>>>THE SAME with Vinegar (Especially ACV) If you can tale a tablespoonful each day and end Acid Reflux or High BP or relieve symptoms of Arthritis and get OFF of the DRUGS that are actually making you WORSE by breaking down the Body, why would anyone with Common Sense worry about acidity ( More Acidity is in Salad Dressings, and Citrus fruit but I won't give up the healing properties of Vitamin C either!!!) USE your HEADS people!

Great Post!

ETA: All fermentation is NOT Yeast based...No yeast added to Wine or Vinegars. It is a Natural Fermentation process. Also, you need to do MUCH More Research on Particular Foods, NOT GENERALIZATIONS!
  • bademasi
    Options
    I just thought I would pass this on. I'm a homebrewer and make all kinds of homemade drinks, and I've come across sekanjabins. A sekanjabin is a middle eastern medieval drink made with vinegar. Basically it is equal parts sugar and vinegar with mint leaves.

I found this on : http://www.giovannastrifles.com/

Adapted from Claudia Roden’s A Book of Middle Eastern Food

Makes about 3 cups syrup, enough for 8+ servings

1-1/4 cups water
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
    4 big sprigs of mint (or a very generous handful of borage flowers or about 8 bay leaves)
    Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves.
    Add the vinegar (don’t breathe in the fumes unless you want to clear your sinuses), and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
    Take the pan off the stove and submerge the mint in the syrup. Let cool to room temperature.
    Remove the mint (I left the borage flowers and the bay leaves in the container), and refrigerate.
    To serve, put about 4-5 tablespoons in a glass with ice cubes, and fill with seltzer. Roden suggests adding a little grated cucumber to the drink, which sounds nice. Or add a few blackberries. Do garnish with mint.

Do note that this is to make a syrup that you further dilute with water and ice, not drink straight.

I have made a raspberry sekanjabin that I think is really nice. The blend of tart and sweet is a perfect blend for summer.

Cheers!

Very interesting... thank you for this information. I will be reading up on this!! :drinker:
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I love Vinegar and enjoy many types of it. I have a book called "The Healing Powers of Vinegar" and it has great information on the power of vinegar. The two most powerful vinegars are Apple Cider and Grape vinegars. People from all walks of life believe apple rich apple cider vinegar aids digestion, helps maintain weight, and keeps blood pressure down. Apple cider vinegar is also known to relieve congestion and maintain healthy skin.

Vinegar is one of the oldest fermented food products known to man- except wine. Vinegar contains polyphenois, a powerful antioxidant. Catechin, a flavomoid believed to prevent cancer. Flavonoids, Quercein and Resveratrol to aid in heart disease.

So I ask.... What vinegar do you enjoy most? Or, are you like me and have one of each kind in your fridge? I love Apple Cider, White Wine, Red Wine, Rice and Balsamic. What do you enjoy your vinegar with? I use mine straight on vegetables. I love the flavors.

12908857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I have white,rice, red wine, apple cider, and balsamic in my cupboards. I recently did a quick pickle recipe where you boil red onion, carrot, and jalapeno in apple cider until carrots are soft. Delicious!
  • bademasi
    Options
    and kill you, they are acid

They are acid BUT how do they REACT in the Body? They DO NOT act as acid IN the Body but has the OPPOSITE EFFECT...Especially Apple Cider Vinegar.

People just AMAZE me as to how sooo many Just Don't have ANY common sense: I was looking at a Documentary about Nutrition and the Doctor was naming all of the Wonderful things just 2 handfuls of Cashews can do for the body, nutritionally. He said the first thing some of his patients said when he recommended that they eat Cashews is, "Isn't that a lot of calories!?" OMG, what IDIOTS...they have a "Medicine" right in their faces and they worry about calories>>>THE SAME with Vinegar (Especially ACV) If you can tale a tablespoonful each day and end Acid Reflux or High BP or relieve symptoms of Arthritis and get OFF of the DRUGS that are actually making you WORSE by breaking down the Body, why would anyone with Common Sense worry about acidity ( More Acidity is in Salad Dressings, and Citrus fruit but I won't give up the healing properties of Vitamin C either!!!) USE your HEADS people!

Great Post!

ETA: All fermentation is NOT Yeast based...No yeast added to Wine or Vinegars. It is a Natural Fermentation process. Also, you need to do MUCH More Research on Particular Foods, NOT GENERALIZATIONS!

Thank you for your post. A high-protein, high-fat diet increases the alkalnity in the blood, causing it to thicken. Apple cider vinegar affects the acid-alkali balance. It thins the blood, which may help lower blood pressure and improve blood circulation.

Today american diets are high in meat and lower in alkalizing fruits and vegetables and this leaves a acid residue in the body. The acid residue, in turn, imbalances our biochemistry or pH blood levels in a direction where we are out of acid-alkalin balance. And that can lead to high blood pressure and other heart ailments.

Thus, it is necessary for us to eat as much vegetables as possible to prevent acidity in your body fluid, which can result from too much animal protien.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Acid + Acid = More acid. It doesn't behave differently in the body. Vinegar is made from the fermentation of ethanol(alcohol) which is made with yeast. I already stated how it can lead to bone issues, and cancerous cells. I done my research, i am majoring in biochemistry, do your research. Ingested acid is toxic to the body.

I'm not a fan of anyone claiming that they've got a magic food... and that's kinda what people do with this whole vinegar thing. They make it sound magic.

BUT... vinegar isn't toxic. It's a weak acid, easily neutralized in the small intestines. The pka is only 4.7 or 4.8.

Vinegar is fine, just like carbonated beverages are fine, just like citric fruit is fine, just like bell peppers are fine, just like... you get the idea. Not gonna hurt anyone. Not gonna make 'em instantly into fitness gods/goddesses either... but not gonna hurt.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. A high-protein, high-fat diet increases the alkalnity in the blood, causing it to thicken. Apple cider vinegar affects the acid-alkali balance. It thins the blood, which may help lower blood pressure and improve blood circulation.

Today american diets are high in meat and lower in alkalizing fruits and vegetables and this leaves a acid residue in the body. The acid residue, in turn, imbalances our biochemistry or pH blood levels in a direction where we are out of acid-alkalin balance. And that can lead to high blood pressure and other heart ailments.

Thus, it is necessary for us to eat as much vegetables as possible to prevent acidity in your body fluid, which can result from too much animal protien.

No offense... but this is all pseudoscience. I've looked. I can't find any evidence that DIET effects blood pH at all. The pH of your blood is regulated by your respiratory system, not by the food you eat.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I like it on french fries/chips. Does it even it out? ;) Great post, thanks for the info!
  • hernoodlyness
    hernoodlyness Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The pH of blood remains constant between 7.35 and 7.45. This is essential for all cells to function and the human body has very specific interventions to keep the pH at this level (buffers etc). What you eat/drink cannot change this. Diets that claim they will change the pH of you body is lying.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar ROCKS!!!