Calories in vs calories out.....is it that simple?

Options
I had someone ask isn’t it all about calories in vs calories out and this comes up a lot so I thought I would address on here. While it is true if you eat less than your body burns, you will lose weight, people often forget that the only thing constant about our bodies is they are constantly changing. Our bodies are very good at adapting, at surviving. When you create a caloric deficit either through diet or exercise or a combination of the two, your body starts making adjustments to offset the lack of energy. These adjustments to prevent starvation occur through hormones. When dieting, the hormones leptin, thyroid, and testosterone all go down and the hormone cortisol goes up. These hormones drive/effect metabolism and the importance of these hormones for retaining muscle and losing fat, cannot be overstated. These hormone adjustments are usually referred to as starvation mode.

The advice that I give when trying to help someone lose weight if they are stuck typically revolves not around calories in vs calories out, but hormones. Some of this advice includes spike/refeed days, carb depletion/carb loading, sprinting or other intense cardio instead of long duration, two week diet breaks and one week break from exercise, All of these things center around preventing, slowing down, or helping to rebound the negative effects that occur to your hormones with prolonged caloric deficits.

So in a perfect world we could do the math and everyone would lose 1-2 pounds a week and reach their goals right on time, but our bodies are far too complex for that. Calories in / calories out is a good starting point but only a starting point.

Replies

• Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I shall copy this and send it to a group of people so they can see your pt and understand it.

Thanks
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    :):smile::happy: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    so if its hormone related, especially for women of certain age (I'm 42 and entering the peri-menopause) then this product.. puriance for women should help as they claim it helps control Estrogen and Cortisol levels that drive our (monthly) cravings.

As they are targeting cravings and hormones are they more likely to work than just a diet pill/fat burner containing caffeine or capsicum to boost metabolism?

I've gone from 12st 7 last June to 10st (140lbs) this month but seem to be stuck and fluctuating between 10st and 10st 2-4lbs (depending on TOTM). I'd really love to be 9st something! ... based on what you have said about hormones affecting weight loss do you think these will work?

http://puriance.co.uk/how_works_women.html
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I agree with this 100%, I had been stuck with no weight loss the past 2wks, got so mad because I exercise my *kitten* off and eat well that I went out on Wed and had a Big Mac meal for lunch, and then went and swam a hr that night, I was still under my calorie goals that day though even with the Big Mac

I think I shocked the heck out of my body by giving it something I had not done in 9wks. Junk fast food... and voila..1.5 lbs gone as of this morning !! :)
  • mrscdgogan
    Options
    i just started this journey... should i be eating the extra calories from working out? I have had conflicting opinions....
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think eating well is important too. Just because you're losing weight on Doritos and soda doesn't mean you're healthy!
  • scampbell19
    Options
    Thank for the info!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    so if its hormone related, especially for women of certain age (I'm 42 and entering the peri-menopause) then this product.. puriance for women should help as they claim it helps control Estrogen and Cortisol levels that drive our (monthly) cravings.

As they are targeting cravings and hormones are they more likely to work than just a diet pill/fat burner containing caffeine or capsicum to boost metabolism?

I've gone from 12st 7 last June to 10st (140lbs) this month but seem to be stuck and fluctuating between 10st and 10st 2-4lbs (depending on TOTM). I'd really love to be 9st something! ... based on what you have said about hormones affecting weight loss do you think these will work?

http://puriance.co.uk/how_works_women.html

I wouldn't believe an ad that is trying to sell you something. There are many ways to control cortisol without taking pills.
  • 4theking
    Options
    i just started this journey... should i be eating the extra calories from working out? I have had conflicting opinions....

If you have a lot to lose, you can get away with not eating exercise calories. Not eating exercise calories creates a larger deficit which will negatively effect your fat burning hormones. This is especially true the leaner you get. I always recommend not eating exercise calories and having a spike day once a week.
  • 4theking
    Options
    I think eating well is important too. Just because you're losing weight on Doritos and soda doesn't mean you're healthy!

Not sure what you are getting at here??
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    So overall, we should just keep things changed up regarding diet and exercise? That sounds like a good plan. Keep the body guessing. I try to keep things changed up anyway just to prevent boredom.
  • LeenaRuns
    Options

To me the kind of calories in are as, if not more, important that the number of calories in. It's not simply calories in, calories out.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
  • 4theking
    Options
    So overall, we should just keep things changed up regarding diet and exercise? That sounds like a good plan. Keep the body guessing. I try to keep things changed up anyway just to prevent boredom.

Yes! Have one day a week that you eat over Maintenance calories. The main point is work with your body, not against it. You can't try to speed up fat loss or bad things happen. Slow and steady!
  • LeenaRuns
    Options

To me the kind of calories in are as, if not more, important that the number of calories in. It's not simply calories in, calories out.

Nevermind. I just read your profile and can see that you won't agree :-)
  • 4theking
    Options

The kind of calories can effect hormones as well. Whether this food or that food is healthy, and what healthy means is highly debateable.
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    do you recommend Spike day or Spike Meal???
  • LeenaRuns
    Options

The kind of calories can effect hormones as well. Whether this food or that food is healthy, and what healthy means is highly debateable.

I'm not going to start an arguement here.

Congratulations on all that you've accomplished, and I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    do you recommend Spike day or Spike Meal???

Good question. I prefer a Spike day myself. :glasses:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well said. I'm living proof his advise works!!!!