Goat Cheese... What do you do with it?

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
I just bought an entire pound of goat cheese (chennel) ... which I LOVE but I only know how to make about 3 things with it and would like to spice it up, and once you cut open the package you don't have as long to use it as more dry cheeses...

Any suggestions on what to do with it? I'm also open to more unhealthy suggestions as well as the healthy ones.

Thanks!

Replies

• litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My favorites are:

Spread it on a flatbread or pita & top with zucchini and tomatoes - pizza-esque.

Mix it with warm pasta & vegetables with a little pasta water for a light pasta primavera.

Stuff endives with it and top with nuts and dressing for a fancy salad.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    spinach goat cheese chicken roll ups!
  • laeylyn
    Options
    What I usually do is, toast a piece of sourdough bread, and grill some pears up (light butter) just enough to brown them a little. After the toast and pears are done, I use everything to make an openfaced sandwich.
    Layer as follows: Sourdough, pears, then crumble a bit of goat cheese on top (add a pinch of chopped basil if you like). The heat from the pears melts the cheese a bit. It is SO GOOD! The combo may sound weird, but with the natural sweetness from the pear & tangy flavor of the cheese, it's a perfect match. :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you want with it, really. I sprinkle it on salads, put it in omelets, cook up some spinach with olive oil, pepper and goat cheese ...

Honestly, I can't think of anything you CAN'T do with it!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oy this is proving that I'm a pretty big Ina Garten fangirl, but ...

1) Get skin-on chicken breasts and stick it between the skin and the meat with some herbs and bake in the oven.
    - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-with-herbed-goat-cheese-recipe/index.html

2) Bake some baguette slices drizzled with olive oil till crispy and spread the cheese on them. Then top with sauteed bell peppers
    - (swap goat cheese for the gorganzola) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/bruschetta-with-sauteed-sweet-peppers-and-creamy-gorgonzola-recipe/index.html

3) Add to scrambled eggs
    - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/slow-cooked-scrambled-eggs-with-goat-cheese-recipe/index.html

4) Roasted pepper and goat cheese sandwiches
    - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-pepper-and-goat-cheese-sandwiches-recipe/index.html
  • Autumn_P
    Autumn_P Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mistycsherman
    Options
    I use it in place of mayo on sandwiches
  • Mirth
    Mirth Posts: 77
    Options
    I like to use goat cheese with dark meats and mushrooms. The flavors really go together nicely. Goat cheese also melts in a delicious way, which makes it fun to use in pasta dishes in place of using so much sauce (or any sauce at all for that matter).
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I like to make cheese tortellii with it. Chill the tortellini after cooking, then mix with light creamy italian dressing, chives, and small pieces of the cheese cut up.
  • jpalimpsest
    Options
    spread it on whole grain toast topped with fresh raspberries - excellent breakfast/brunch
  • pizzygirltx
    Options
    bump for later
  • Adventurehuntress
    Adventurehuntress Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love putting goat cheese in my salads! It taste amazing with avocado and walnuts. What I love most about goat cheese is that 1 oz is only 70 cal!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just bought a couple packages recently too and was trying to find recipes. Last night I made a really good garlic goat cheese bread from a recipe I found online. I mixed some best life butter with a couple ounces of goat cheese and added in some toasted minced garlic, and some shredded fresh parmesan cheese. Mix it all together and spread on top of bread (I used leftover whole wheat kaiser roll halves) then sprinkle with fresh pepper and toast in the oven for a few minutes. It was really tasty!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    spinach, almonds, strawberries, goat cheese and Marie's poppy seed dressing....now, I want some!!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just bought a couple packages recently too and was trying to find recipes. Last night I made a really good garlic goat cheese bread from a recipe I found online. I mixed some best life butter with a couple ounces of goat cheese and added in some toasted minced garlic, and some shredded fresh parmesan cheese. Mix it all together and spread on top of bread (I used leftover whole wheat kaiser roll halves) then sprinkle with fresh pepper and toast in the oven for a few minutes. It was really tasty!

Oh and salt...also add a little salt to the butter/cheese mixture.
  • effiek
    effiek Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Baked goatcheese! (warning: so not on the diet) Take a pilsbury cresent roll thing, and lay it out flat, cut in half and squish the seams together. grease sheet, oven at 350F place 1 square on the container, place a hunk (scientificly speaking) in the middle, and over it with the other square of dough. bring the sides up to make it pretty. cook for like, 17 minutes or until golden brown. SO YUMMY. perfect for parties! :) I also love putting other stuff in them...preserved, nuts, etc.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I put it on pizza, pasta, salads... even a slice of bread as a snack! You can also make killer casseroles with it.
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I *love* goat cheese. Like previous posters have mentioned, it's great on salads or omelettes. I often make an egg white omelet with fresh baby spinach and goat cheese. I also make spinach and goat cheese pizza on a homemade whole-wheat crust. It's also tasty with sun-dried tomatos. A frind of mine makes stuffed chicken breasts with goat cheese and sun-dried tomato pesto and they are just wonderful.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    These sound great! can't wait to try them! I had a goat cheese, humus, turkey and capers on tortilla pizza for lunch. (one of the 3 things I knew how to make with goat cheese before your help! lol)
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese and grits is wonderful. (There's an Eating Well recipe for goat cheese, grits and corn)