Runners: Can We Be Honest?

Options
I'm training for my first half marathon and ever since my long runs got over 8 miles, I have had to have a bathroom break during my runs. Last week was 11 miles and I had oatmeal, yogurt, and a banana before my run. I had a Gu at mile 4.5 and could BARELY make it inside my house at mile 9 to use the bathroom. This week was 9 miles, I tried to eat less before I ran, so I had only a banana before my run. This time, I had to stop at mile 5.5 for the bathroom. Then had a Hammer Gel at mile 6.5 and was fine after that.

I really DO NOT want to add 4-5 minutes to my race time to stop for the bathroom, but I can't figure out how to resolve these stomach issues. What do you all eat before a long run and during a long run? I have a 12 mile, 13 mile, and 9 mile run before the race to figure it out!

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run on an empty stomach. If I'm starving, then I might eat a Clif Blok or two before I leave (or maybe a tootsie roll or something). In 24 marathon and 30+ half marathons I've never had to take a potty break.

After my pre-run dump, I take an immodium on race day. Problem solved.

But work it out during training.

Good luck!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Depends
  • melrose09
    Options
    Depends

On what ;) hehehe. See what I did there?
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    pre-run dump

:laugh:

LOVE this!

I personally don't eat hardly anything before because if there's anything in my stomach it makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. I eat well the night before and make sure I'm hydrated, and I really haven't had any problems yet. I'm doing 9.5 tomorrow, so I'm hoping my method still works for me!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Depends

You my sweet lady, are a comedic genius.:smokin:
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has to take an immodium prior to any run over 6 miles. Might help you. Last fall I did the Rock and Roll Half in St. Louis. Had to make two pit stops so I feel your pain. It had never happened during training though. I might have beat 2 hours without the potty stops....
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I only eat a piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter when I run 1/2 or full marathons. I use the jelly beans instead of gel for in race fuel. Try changing what doesn't work for other types of food. Oatmeal is full of fiber that could be your issue. Instead of gu try the jelly beans. Hope this helps.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try the Immodium next weekend. I felt really light headed while running today even with a banana, so I don't think I can go on completely empty stomach, but if Immodium isn't working, I'll have to try that.

Anyone else have advice?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I used to take half an immodium before all my runs. Now I only do it if my stomach is upset before I run.

It generally works out well, I'd had the occasional emergency restroom stop, but that keeps things fun...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before or during runs and generally drink as little as I can get away with. I rarely have to stop.

For morning runs the last food was the night before. For evening runs the last food is usually at least four hours before.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    For short and medium runs I don't eat. For longer runs, I'll eat things with low fiber, high carbs. And sometimes hang around the house for an extra 15 minutes and take care of business before i run. And once the weather gets nicer, I know where every athletic field with a porta-potty is within 8 miles of my house :-)
  • sbgraves
    Options
    I drink 2 cups of coffee when I first wake up 6-6:30ish a bowl of go lean crunch about an hour later. by 8:45-9 I am good to go! Coffee gets everything moving lol. I did 10 miles last week and never had to stop.
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    I always tend to gravitate to low-fiber, high-carb foods as well before my long runs. Usually something very mild, like half a bagel - and I always time it so I have enough time to use the restroom before leaving. That seemed to help me!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I lighten up on dinner the night before, making sure something that always sits well the next day, bigger lunch day before.

Morning of is normal calm breakfast of about 400 cal, Zone or Balance bars usually, though Clif Builder's are pretty good.
    Early enough to be not sitting in stomach waiting to be digested. So about 1hr before.
  • melrose09
    Options
    Depends

You my sweet lady, are a comedic genius.:smokin:

Most of the time people don't get my jokes on her :-/
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well, I must be lucky in this regard... it's never been an issue (knocking on wood to make sure I don't have to make an embarrassing post after tomorrow's 11 miler... :embarassed: )

I *have* to eat something before I run anything 6 miles and over (and, frankly, I usually eat something even if it's shorter than that); I just feel terrible if I don't. For shorter runs, I'll have a banana or a toasted English muffin with honey on it ~30 minutes prior. For long runs (say, 8 miles and up), it's usually either a bowl of oatmeal or a toasted English muffin (or bagel, which are sometimes easier to find pre-race when traveling) with PB&J; I usually eat it ~1 hour prior to heading out.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half.. but honestly, running always makes me have to go! I ran a 5K on new years day and finished and ran right into the bathroom. I have been on runs before, less than 3 miles, and had to stop and go somewhere, its so embarassing.

I try to go before my run. I have no clue how I will do this half next month, it will be a miracle if I can make it without going to the bathroom!
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "pre-run dump" ...LOL. That totally made this thread worth reading.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Ling runs usually oatmeal, toast with PB and honey and a lot of coffee. I do use the bathroom a lot,but not during a race. Pre race jitters maybe?
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have to run on an empty stomach. It has taken me a long time to figure out fuel for marathons because Gaterade, Powerade etc and gels upset my poor tummy.

In my last marathon I took on no fuel, except water. I do not recommend this for this distance. It took me a while to get over it. In my last half marathon I did I used glucodin tablets with water and that worked. The other thing I do is have gastrolyte the day before. This seems to help.

Good luck

Donna