Runners: Can We Be Honest?

Options

Replies

• speedmuffin
    Options
    Carbs, carbs, carbs, and more carbs. Eat the fruit after your run as it will metabolize better. But you want to eat bread, pasta, cereal, granola bars, any type of carbs before your long run. Then after the long run, as a snack, it's ok to eat protein and sugars within that 30 minute window after running.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I make sure I eat an early dinner the night before(early so it will get through my system before race time the next day)and not to big a dinner either. Just normal with lot's of carbs. I also get up very early and drink my coffee first thing before I eat to activate my innards. And then have my carb breakfast about two hours before race time. I have never had a problem during a race but I have had to stop during practice runs.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I drink coffee every morning and that always makes me go lol... then I never have any issues during my runs. I usually run shorter runs on an empty stomach and long runs I have peanut butter toast and banana.
  • omna379
    Options
    I always try to keep my bladder full most of the day so when I get up and run in the morning there is room for expansion, I always run on a empty stomach but after the run and through out the day drink drink drink.
  • furbutt
    furbutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Secret - I have run over 20 marathons and half and the only thing that works for me is a strong cup of coffee 30 min before run, helps get everything moving. Gu makes me have to go... I found power bar gel easier to stomach. I always pack tp when I run :)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I do take water with me if it's over 4 miles, my water bottle holds 12 oz and I space it out with a drink about every 2 miles (which is what my HM has available). I have tried Hammer gel once but I had it very late in the run so I wouldn't have had time to see if it was okay for me or not. Thanks for all the tips!
  • debbiepa
    Options
    12oz of H2O while on a long run might not be enough. Weigh yourself before and after your run and add in your 12oz of water. You should be within 1-2 lbs from your pre-run weight. If not, you should be drinking more. Lots of great tips for you-good luck on your next long run!:wink:
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of you guys with no issues!! I run at night and can't make it 3 miles without having to poop URGENTLY. It is extremely frustrating!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I suffer stomach issues on long and short runs. Short runs I just deal the best I can. Long runs and races, I get up at least an hour and a half before my run and have a slice of toast or half eng muffin w/peanut butter. I try to use the bathroom before I leave the house. Either way I take an Immodium after I eat and one more in the car on the way. I also carry one in my running pack just in case. I have ran into many issues on trails and have had to take it to the woods. The best advice I have for those moments is to carry some TP! lol

Good luck!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    you're not alone...i can't believe you eat anything before running though to be honest. I wouldn't last half that distance you can go. I have to run on an empty stomach, and especially no caffeine or nicotine as stimulants make you have to poop :) i agree with whoever said if you really need it something like a clif bar or that energy gel will work.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    oh and i was a new runner last year, but ran a half marathon no problems just having one of those little energy gel things before hand. you won't be too hungry and if you ARE races always have food stations at the end...you will make it :)
  • allylourn
    Options
    So weird, I have never had that problem, usually your bowels slow down during runs bc the blood flow is going to your muscles and decreased to your intestines...could it be nerves....and make sure you eat at least 2 hours prior to run ...good luck
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have Ulcerative Colitis and my stomach gets pretty cranky when I run. I sometimes have to stop as much as 2-3 times during a 10K training run. Frustrating, and, on occasion, extremely embarrassing (I won't go into details. :P) I'm going to repeat a lot of what was said here, I think, but here's my routine:

The good news is that I figured out what triggers my upset stomach: eating high fibre foods (especially salad or bananas) the day before or eating dairy the day before.

So, for a couple days before a race, I cut those out of my diet and stick to easily digestible foods. I do a carb load at lunch the day before, then have a really, really light supper. My morning snack before the run are snacks I know I can digest (a half cup of Chocolate Cheerios and a Gatorade powerone drink or gu gel). I have those about 2 hours before the race and make sure to try to go right before the race starts. Elevating my feet so I'm in more of a squat position sometimes helps get things moving.

I also find that my stomach is a lot nicer on race days. Maybe it's because of the adrenaline? I can make it a full half marathon without having to stop, which is pretty nice.

Keeping hydrated seems to be important for me as well. My last half, I brought my camelbak with me. Not cool looking, but it was good to have a sip of water ready on demand. I'm gradually easing my body to a less frequent drinking schedule, though, so that I can eventually just use water stations.

If I'm near times of the month where hormones can cause me more stomach upset, I pop an Immodium about half an hour before the race, which seems to help. (This is very rare, though.)
  • runwithmike
    Options
    Before my long runs, I drink 16-20 oz of water and eat a bowl of oatmeal. Usually if I am going to run >12 miles I take my Camelbak with me. It is large enought to haul 28 oz of water. I also bring a water bottle with orange gatorade so I may replenish my electrolytes.

I always try to go to the restroom before I head out the door.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups of coffee when I first wake up 6-6:30ish a bowl of go lean crunch about an hour later. by 8:45-9 I am good to go! Coffee gets everything moving lol. I did 10 miles last week and never had to stop.

THIS! Drinking coffee moves everything and makes all the difference! When I did my latest half, I made sure to wake up with ample time, had 2 cups of coffee, a bit of water, oatmeal with pb and 1/2 a banana. Drank only water along the run and didn't have to stop at all! It's really nice being able to run the full race and not worry about having to make any pit stops.
  • mareowner
    Options
    Mayo Clinic Article:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/runners-diarrhea/AN00376

Runner's diarrhea is characterized by frequent, loose bowel movements during or immediately after a run. Runner's diarrhea is most common in long-distance or marathon runners.

The cause of runner's diarrhea isn't clear. One theory is that extreme exercise directs blood flow away from the intestines — contributing to diarrhea.

Often, simple dietary changes can help prevent runner's diarrhea:

At least one day before running, limit or avoid high-fiber and gas-producing foods, such as beans, bran, fruit and salad. If you run every day, experiment to find a tolerable level of fiber. Otherwise, simply eat those foods after you run.
    At least one day before running, limit or avoid sweeteners called sugar alcohols — most often found in sugar-free candies, gum and ice cream.
    For three to six hours before running, limit or avoid caffeine and high-fat foods.
    For at least two hours before running, don't eat anything at all.
    Before, during and after running, drink plenty of fluids. Dehydration can lead to diarrhea. Avoid warm liquids, however, which can speed food through the digestive tract.
    While running, use caution with energy gels and energy bars. In some people, these products can contribute to diarrhea.
    If you're lactose intolerant, switch to lactose-reduced or lactose-free milk and milk products.
    In addition, wear comfortable, loosefitting clothing when you run. Clothing that's too tight around the waist may aggravate diarrhea. You might also consider reducing the intensity or distance of your runs until the diarrhea improves. Then gradually increase your activity as your signs and symptoms allow. If these tips don't seem to help, consult your doctor for additional suggestions.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    What are you eating the day before your long runs? I find that if I don't eat well the night before I end up with this problem.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    Depends

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ROFL! lol.. . . .puns at their best.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I've really only had GI problems maybe twice before and it was due to too much grease/fat at race pasta dinners.

If my stomach feels iffy (in any capacity) before a race/run, I pop 2 pepto bismol chewables.

I can eat oatmeal and a banana or a Marathon Bar and a banana before a long run or race and be completly fine. I would look at what you're eating 24-48 hours before you run into this problem though. I don't ever use the bathroom during races, make sure you get your hydration in 24-48 before a race (or all week long if it's for a marathon or ultra).
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I always bring toilet paper and have no problem with pulling off to the side of the road and taking a dump in the woods if need be.