She thinks she's helping...

Options

Replies

• sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Keep reminding her of your weight loss and continue your own journey. I find friends are shocked to see me eat pizza or a cookie as well. A group of us were helping a friend do some heavy remodeling work yesterday and she ordered pizza for us. Later, some were commenting on my weight-loss, and she said "I guess pizza wasn't on your diet....I didn't mean to get you off-track". I replied that I have not eliminated any foods and that I have become effective at knowing how much I can eat to maintain a healthy balance. I try to be clear that changing the way I eat is something I can live with for the rest of my life, it's not a temporary fix.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Wow. Do we work with the same woman?

There's a woman at work who decided before Christmas (or so) that she wanted to lose weight. She'll ask me questions and I will answer her honestly... then she argues.

For example:

Her: "I just lowered my calories to 1200 a day. I seemed to have hit a plateau and I want to see if I can get my weight loss moving again. Do you think 1200 is too low? too high? just right? How many calories do YOU eat in a day?"

Me: "I can't tell you if 1200 is too high or too low for your body. You have to just do it and see how it works out for you. I personally eat anywhere from 2300-2500 net calories a day. I know I burn a lot of calories because we work on our feet and are in constant motion"

Her: "Are you kidding? 2300-2500 a DAY? Oh, sweetie.. you're going to get SO FAT eating that many calories. Why on earth would you eat that many?!"

Me: "Um. Well, because I know that's what my body needs. I've been doing it for the better part of 18 months and I'm doing just fine, thank you. There's NO WAY I could survive on only 1200 calories a day. Like I said, do what works for YOU".

Her: "18 months huh? Well, you're gonna get fat. Just you wait. You'll wake up one day and you'll be fat. You should stop eating so much it isn't good for you. Do you want to hear what I eat each day? You could try eating what I eat.. I bet it would help you".

Me: "Thanks, but no thanks. I'm doing just fine thank you".

Her: "You're gonna be fat. I'm telling you. Fat."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Leave me alone. Seriously. Leave me alone. Go away. Do what you please, but stop telling me what I should do.
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I completely understand, my boyfriend used to do this after he found out I was working on losin weight. Why? Because I lost 22 lbs after we met. It always made me wonder why he felt the need to criticize my choice of food after I lost weight without any of his input.
    After I spoke with him candidly about how unhelpful his remarks were and that I didn't need his help before and certainly didn't need them now he backed off. Hopefully, somethin like that will work with your coworker. I agree with another post, you have been diplomatic. You have a plan that works. That should be your only response. You do not need to justify your course to anyone, that doesn't usually help anyway.

Stay focused and do not let her frustrations become yours.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Eat your cookie and chips and keep on loseing the weight! It will show her you can eat what you want and be happy!
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    think i more than likely would have landed my fist on her nose by now lol
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ughhh... I would just not talk to her about my food at all.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that helping, it's a bit of a sabotage, if you ask me, even if she is not doing it consciously.

Can you try to politely smile and ignore her? Maybe if you react less and less (even though you may feel you have to defend your actions) she'll get bored of it.

Good luck, I know how annoying it can be for people to give their 'expert' opinions on YOUR food choices - your lifestyle!
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

There's a woman at work who decided before Christmas (or so) that she wanted to lose weight. She'll ask me questions and I will answer her honestly... then she argues.

For example:

Her: "I just lowered my calories to 1200 a day. I seemed to have hit a plateau and I want to see if I can get my weight loss moving again. Do you think 1200 is too low? too high? just right? How many calories do YOU eat in a day?"

Me: "I can't tell you if 1200 is too high or too low for your body. You have to just do it and see how it works out for you. I personally eat anywhere from 2300-2500 net calories a day. I know I burn a lot of calories because we work on our feet and are in constant motion"

Her: "Are you kidding? 2300-2500 a DAY? Oh, sweetie.. you're going to get SO FAT eating that many calories. Why on earth would you eat that many?!"

Me: "Um. Well, because I know that's what my body needs. I've been doing it for the better part of 18 months and I'm doing just fine, thank you. There's NO WAY I could survive on only 1200 calories a day. Like I said, do what works for YOU".

Her: "18 months huh? Well, you're gonna get fat. Just you wait. You'll wake up one day and you'll be fat. You should stop eating so much it isn't good for you. Do you want to hear what I eat each day? You could try eating what I eat.. I bet it would help you".

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Leave me alone. Seriously. Leave me alone. Go away. Do what you please, but stop telling me what I should do.

LOL, too funny
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    It must be annoying to have her track your every move. The next time she say's something simply say "I've already lost 50 pounds, so I know what I'm doing, but thanks for the advice." You have to work with her so it's best to be honest. She seems to want to turn it into a contest, so take advantage of it - give her a run for her money!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    She's not trying to help, she's being an asshat.

Assuming you no longer wish to hear her comments, I would suggest letting her know that you no longer wish to discuss diet/weight loss matters at work. Of course, this means you won't be able to talk to her about it either....it will have to go both ways. Good luck!
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    My wife and I sometimes get help from others. Our reply is usually something along the lines of, "I can eat anything that I want. I just can't eat EVERYTHING that I want." Or, "Yeah, I'll have to put in an extra 20 minutes at the gym for that, but it's worth it." The final answer, as other posters have pointed out, is, "Well, this has worked for 34 (or for my wife, 58) pounds, so we're going to stay with it until it quits working."

I don't think this is an argument you want to "win" as much as a chance to enlighten someone who is being overly severe in their approach. She means well, and I think the reply should be well-meaning too.
  • TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

For example:

Love your respones to this person!

I think all of us have someone like this in their life. I went though the same thing with a coworker as well. In the beginning, she lost ALOT of weight very fast. Like 70 lbs in about 4 months. I have only lost 60 in 9 months. We work at different offices and only see eachother on occasion. The last time I seen her, she said "I don't see what everyone is talking about..you don't look like you've lost anything"

I just smiled and told her I actually am down 60 lbs and 3 sizes and FEEL fabulous!! (she on the other hand, gained back most of her weight...)

Karma is a *****....isn't it?
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options

For example:

WTF? Holy crap - kudos to you for not totally freaking out on that person!! What a twit. lol
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options

For example:

Damn I'd strangle her! Sorry! X
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Look at her slyly and say "We'll see who comes out on top in the end..." That may shut her up a bit...I'm sorry. Good luck to you!
  • JasmineAmber2012
    Options
    Cookie Envy is a terrible thing !!!! Keep up the good work, you are doing sooooooo well xxxxxx
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd just say well I've lost 50lbs so this lifestyle change is obviously working for me and smile. Then wait till your at 70lbs lost and she has given up all together and gained it all back! Lol x
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just tell her that:
    "I appreciate your concern, but I have found a healthy, simple and succesful way for weight management and it suits me perfectly. I really don't need or want your opinion of what I should or should not eat but I am happy to tell you more about my method if you want to hear about it. Jusk ask if curious, I'm not pushing you my ideas."

Another approach:
    "Thank you for sharing."
    (Smile and continue what ever you are doing, like she was air.)

Or even:
    "Mind your own business."
    (If it gets really irritating and she has no politeness there either.)

^
    This!
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Saboteur!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call out the cookie militia and have all of your coworkers put her favorite snacks on her desk. Either all at once or every day for a week. Nah... don't do that, really.

Keep doing what you know is working for you! Don't let her steal your joy in your progress!
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I am not sure if she is trying to help, or trying to push her dieting method on to you, because you aren't cutting anything out of your diet. Just politely tell her: "Thank you for your input, but my way of dieting is working just fine for me, and I do not wish to change it or cut anything out of my diet. I think you are trying to help, but please leave me alone."
    Good luck with that and enjoy your cookies!!!!!!!!!