Maybe I'm meant to be fat................

Options
13»

Replies

• InvictusPhoenix
    Options
    I actually had a dietitian tell me "You're doing everything right. I don't know why you're not losing weight. Maybe you should just accept that this is the weight your body wants to be." How's that for dejecting?

But I'm NOT going to accept being obese. And you don't have to either.
    ^^ love the last line especially
    but seriously, get a better dietician. (sounds like a moron *i'm 3/4 through a nutrition sciences degree*)
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    yeah, me too!

But I refuse to believe it. It's taken me 7 months to lose 46 pounds and I have 45 more to go. If I stop now, I'll never get there.

And the funny thing was, I wasn't eating enough. I had to learn to eat more food. I upped my calories to 1400 and I work out 5 - 6 times a week, and right now the pounds are melting off.

Again, my MFP mantra, you have to eat to lose weight. God's little joke on us all.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't normally respond to posted msg. I;m not into the whole social network thing. But after viewing your post. I thought I would answer just this one. You were not meant to be fat. It does not matter that your entire family is overweight. You can be the one to break the cycle. What an awesome honor that would be to be an example to your family, friends and everyone that knows you. Stop making excuses and speaking negative words. You are what you speak out of your mouth. Wake up tomorrow morning, look yourself in the mirror and imagine yourself being the person you have always dreamt you could be. Stay with 24hr fitness. Forget the individual weight stuff and go to every class they have six days a week. Make this a journey for life and not some one time goal. Reset your weight goals and stick with them even when you go through periods where there seems to be no gains. You can do this! MAKE IT HAPPEN! The best is yet to come. This time next year you can be sporting a new wardrobe.... that is if you have the courage and fight in you.
  • MissSonjaBelle
    MissSonjaBelle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey ok don't take anything that i say the wrong way pleeeease, but no one is meant to be anything. You are what you eat. If you eat vegetables and unprocessed foods, you will have minimal body fat. If you eat sugar and junk, you will be bigger. You can't blame genetics for body fat, only your bone structure AND body SHAPE/TYPE (ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph).

LITERALLY cut out ALL sugar, trans fats, oils, packaged foods, canned foods and basically anything that didn't exist 1000 years ago (caveman diet) and i guaranteeeee your body will change.

The problem lies in eating habits, which are taught to us by our parents. We need to re-program ourselves out of bad habits (oh my God so hard, i'm having so much trouble with it) and then the magic can happen.

BASICALLY no one is MEANT to be ANYTHING, we are not BORN fat, it's our choice.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Your topic really hit home with me. Everyone in my family is overweight and I have 4 brothers and 4 sisters. I guess I was meant to be fat...
    This was my way of thinking cuz I tried every diet that came along. Weight watchers, Lemonade diet. Calorie restrictions...I even went to the gym 3-4 days a week for 2 years before I changed my way of thinking. It was just 3 short years ago that I was almost 250 lbs. I had high blood pressure, obstructiive sleep apnea and a fairly normal EKG. Yes, everyday for 3 solid months I watched the P90X infomercial and thought...that can't work. No way. So one day I decided I'd give it a try. I would do the program for the 90 days and then at the end when I didn't look like those people in the video I could look my friends, family and co-workers and it the eyes and say...I was meant to be fat.
    Guess what happeded? The damn thing worked and I learned how to eat properly and exercise. Now over 90 lbs later I'm in the best shape of my life.
    You are not meant to be fat. You're just on a journey to find your calorie level. Once you figure out what ot eat and how much to eat the weight will fall off.
    Don't give up. The alternative is being fat and miserable the rest of your shortened lift. You can do it.
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I actually had a dietitian tell me "You're doing everything right. I don't know why you're not losing weight. Maybe you should just accept that this is the weight your body wants to be." How's that for dejecting?

But I'm NOT going to accept being obese. And you don't have to either.
    ^^ love the last line especially
    but seriously, get a better dietician. (sounds like a moron *i'm 3/4 through a nutrition sciences degree*)

Thanks!

And don't worry, I did kick that one to the curb right after she said that. Haven't replaced her yet, but I have every intention of doing so once my new and improved health insurance kicks in in April.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I have both said this very same thing!!!! I don't believe that we are actually meant to be fat but I know that we all feel that way sometime or other!!! hang in there.....you can do this and we are all here for you. I have about the same family history and background on the diet and things.

Hugs
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Everyones body is different.
    Sometimes I feel like maybe Im meant to be fat.
    Then I look in the mirror - it is possible - its just finding out what works for you. I didnt pig out like some fat people do - but I wasnt honest with myself either about what I was doing - what bad habbits I did have. To be honest - counting calories in and out was the only thing that could have possibly got me this far!!!
  • ImaLadyBiker
    Options
    Hey Raylene. I think I get what you're saying. Sometimes the "right thing" sucks. Sometimes, just throwing in the towel sounds easier than toughing it out.

It helps to have people around you who support your success. (I've worked with people who are bitter about my success in the face of their failure in weight loss.) AND, there is the possibility that all that makes you YOU will have to be redefined. Built like a chunky relative, but now you're not going to be chunky... Hmm, how will the chunky relative feel now?

I like to have people around me who help me see the glass-half-full part of life. When I began to make progress, I had people tell me my face looked thinner. I went to the doctor and had my lipids panel done, and saw how much healthier losing 10% of my body weight had made me. I lost 38% of my body weight in total, and my energy and enthusiasm are through the roof. I look forward to working out and feel sad on days I don't. That is NOT the me that was in this body a year ago. I was resentful that I was one of the "unlucky" ones that HAD to work out. My ah ha moment came when I realized that most all "normal" sized people are only that size because they work at it. They watch what they eat, turn down snacks, take their salad dressing on the side, take the stairs, have a club membership and actually use it... It is no accident. I work with one rail thin man. I brought in Christmas cookies to work and he said, "Get those things away from me." He went on to say he runs two miles a day. Really? I just thought he was that thin due to his metabolism.

Hang in there. Surround yourself with love and support and encouragement. And this really is a safe place to vent.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    With that kind of attitude, you will be. It sounds like you're going to have a take a really good luck at all the stuff you're putting into your body and try to pinpoint why your body is so reluctant to relinquish the excess fat. It could be a variety of things, but giving up certainly isn't the answer.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Don't stay fat, though. It's not fun and you know it.

Awesome quote... I'm sharing that with my biggest loser ladies!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Hey ok don't take anything that i say the wrong way pleeeease, but no one is meant to be anything. You are what you eat. If you eat vegetables and unprocessed foods, you will have minimal body fat.

Not always true. Usually true, but not always true. Anyone other than me see the last episode of disc 5 what not to wear? It featured a vegan named Erin who was about my size and build. She didn't do processed anything, yet she too was built like a linebacker.

I think of her whenever I get frustrated watching super skinny girls being fawned over. Doesn't happen as much anymore, because I'm really loving my progress, but every once in awhile bitterness tries to creep in and I have to remind myself that we all have a different "ideal."

PLEASE be encouraged! Your ideal may not be a size 0, or even a size 6... but that doesn't mean you're destined to be "fat" for the rest of your life!