Any teachers trying to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• annamolly22
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I don't see subs having to plan lessons, grade papers, or even do anything but sit on their *kitten*, give the kids an assignment and write a note to the teacher letting the teacher know what was accomplished for the day. The quality of the sub takes no toll whatsoever on education! You are a warm body who sits in the class while the teacher is gone. And as a teacher, I am not evaluated on my performance based on what the kids do when I have a sub in the classroom!

Speaking from experience, I can honestly say that my kids do nothing when a sub is in my class - well except act horribly! I have actually had to be pulled out of a mid-day meeting because a sub couldn't handle my kids. While yes, I have found 1-2 subs who (depending on the day) can keep my kids in control, none of them have actually spent any amount of time TEACHING, which when I leave a detailed lesson plan, is what I expect from a good sub!

So until I find a sub who actually TEACHES, I am sorry, but I don't consider you guys teachers!

I don't think anyone is saying that subs worker harder or as hard as teachers. I clock way more hours now as a full time teacher than I did as a sub. Of course, I mean that's obvious. But that does not mean that subs don't teach.

When I make a sub plan I make sure that I have quality work for my students to do to make sure they are learning when I am gone. As I'm sure you do, I leave specific instructions and I have always had subs who were willing to work one on one as much as they could with my students. I mean since the sub may not have the same content background as I do, they may not be able to lead the class as well as I could, but they do their best. Very rarely have I had an issue with my students' behavior when I was gone. They know what I expect of them, and most of the time they behave accordingly. When they decide not to behave the way I expect, I have had great luck with subs who can manage the classroom.

It sounds like you have had some bad experiences with subs. I completely understand why that would affect your perception, but from experience I can tell you there are plenty of quality subs in the school systems.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I don't see subs having to plan lessons, grade papers, or even do anything but sit on their *kitten*, give the kids an assignment and write a note to the teacher letting the teacher know what was accomplished for the day. The quality of the sub takes no toll whatsoever on education! You are a warm body who sits in the class while the teacher is gone. And as a teacher, I am not evaluated on my performance based on what the kids do when I have a sub in the classroom!

Speaking from experience, I can honestly say that my kids do nothing when a sub is in my class - well except act horribly! I have actually had to be pulled out of a mid-day meeting because a sub couldn't handle my kids. While yes, I have found 1-2 subs who (depending on the day) can keep my kids in control, none of them have actually spent any amount of time TEACHING, which when I leave a detailed lesson plan, is what I expect from a good sub!

So until I find a sub who actually TEACHES, I am sorry, but I don't consider you guys teachers!

I don't think anyone is saying that subs worker harder or as hard as teachers. I clock way more hours now as a full time teacher than I did as a sub. Of course, I mean that's obvious. But that does not mean that subs don't teach.

When I make a sub plan I make sure that I have quality work for my students to do to make sure they are learning when I am gone. As I'm sure you do, I leave specific instructions and I have always had subs who were willing to work one on one as much as they could with my students. I mean since the sub may not have the same content background as I do, they may not be able to lead the class as well as I could, but they do their best. Very rarely have I had an issue with my students' behavior when I was gone. They know what I expect of them, and most of the time they behave accordingly. When they decide not to behave the way I expect, I have had great luck with subs who can manage the classroom.

It sounds like you have had some bad experiences with subs. I completely understand why that would affect your perception, but from experience I can tell you there are plenty of quality subs in the school systems.

You are probably right. Eventually I will find a good one (hopefully!) I teach in 9th grade in an urban high school.... trust me, the kids see having a sub as a chance to fight, talk, text, turn off the lights and yell RAPE at the top of their lungs, etc. In other words I try not to get subs often :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

When I make a sub plan I make sure that I have quality work for my students to do to make sure they are learning when I am gone. I leave specific instructions and I have always had subs who were willing to work one on one as much as they could with my students. I mean since the sub may not have the same content background as I do, they may not be able to lead the class as well as I could, but they do their best. Very rarely have I had an issue with my students' behavior when I was gone. They know what I expect of them, and most of the time they behave accordingly. When they decide not to behave the way I expect, I have had great luck with subs who can manage the classroom.

I get really frustrated when teachers don't leave material for me to cover, and I have to do nothing but hand out worksheets and watch the kids do nothing all day. I prefer the days where I have the kids engaged in educational activities where I actually have to use my brain!

Maybe I'm just a stupid sub, but I feel there's a reason that both teachers and principals request me. I do work. Oh right, I even grade worksheets, and try to make the teacher's life easier when they come back into the classroom the next day. Hm, how about the kids whose years I turned around because they confided in me about some issues they had at home so I could help them get on the right track. You could ask their teachers why they thanked the sub who curbed their students' bad behavior, or ask the kid why he runs up and gives me a huge hug each time he sees me in the hallway. Or ask one kid's mom, an IA, who now has me at the top of her list to request when she's out partly because of this.

No, I don't have to write lesson plans, but I have to interpret the lesson plans of many different teachers. I have to demand respect from kids who don't have me every day.

If I had the money, I would be in school right now to become a certified teacher, but I can't afford it at the moment. Regardless, once again, feel free to continue to sub bash, but without us, who is going to "babysit" your classroom when you're sick? Hmm?

Just like in everything, stop being ignorant and painting everyone with the same brush. Just because you don't like one subsection of a certain population doesn't mean every person in that population is bad.
  • annamolly22
    Options
    You are probably right. Eventually I will find a good one (hopefully!) I teach in 9th grade in an urban high school.... trust me, the kids see having a sub as a chance to fight, talk, text, turn off the lights and yell RAPE at the top of their lungs, etc. In other words I try not to get subs often :)

Fingers crossed you get a good one next time. :) I did most of my subbing in urban high schools and elementary schools, so I completely understand what you mean.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i teach special education middle school and am trying to lose a few lbs... i make myself workout at 530 am and it helps keep me on track all day :)

my job is pretty physically demanding so as long as i can mentally say "no" to the junk i'm fine, besides im too lazy to log snacks so if i am going to eat something i just log it and take it into account!
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I teach 7th grade. The hardest part for me is when I'm not at work. I have a dream schedule: classes from 8 to 9:45, team time (snack time!) from 9:45 to 10:45, class until 11:45, lunch until 12:30, class until 2:15, and then plan until 3:10 (great time to run errands around the building!). Also, a group of us do C25K after school.

When I'm not at work I have to create my own structure which is way harder!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

how kind of you.

What amazing classroom management you must have if your students treat a sub like that.

I would never think of being so disparaging towards substitute TEACHERS.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I teach GED at Job Corps.

*waves at fellow TEACHERS*
  • jennyshipman79
    jennyshipman79 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a Special Education Teacher - Cross-Cat- and currently teach Kindergarten, first, and third grade special ed students. I think it is SUPER hard remaining loyal to your diet as a teacher. There are always snacks in the teacher's room for some gathering, as well as our great PTA always throws us these fabulous lunches. We've had baked potato bars, pizza lunches, chilli cookoffs, cookie swaps, dessert bars, etc. I truly appreciate everything they do for us, but I really have to maintain full control of what I eat. I won't eat the desserts or snacks at these functions, and I think it helps me when my co-workers mention that I must have a lot of self-control. (I really don't, but I don't want them knowing that!) My mantra in my head anytime I come across a tempting situations is, "I've had this before, I remember what it tastest like, is it worth eating again, or do I want to reach my weight goal more?" I will admit, I do have weak moments, but my mantra does typically make me stop and think.
  • jennyshipman79
    jennyshipman79 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Wow! Sounds like you've had some bad experiences, but I truly don't think its fair grouping every sub into a smaller group, to include them into your own bad, personal experiences. As someone who started out as a sub, I have been on both sides. Sometimes I think being a sub can be harder. You don't know the kids, you know they think its a free-for-all, and sometimes the teacher doesn't leave the best, well-explained plans. At least as a teacher, you know where you've left off and what they've been working on. You also have learned the behaviors of each student and the pre-cursors to their negative behaviors.

Subs deserve much more respect than most people give them.
  • monoe3441
    Options
    Hi, My name is Maura. I am also a Pre-school and kindergarten teacher. B-day treats can be hard, especially when the parent is there offering it to you; it can come off easily as being rude.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I am a Professional Medical Assistant Teacher... It's a technology based course for high school graduates have been in the medical field since I was 18 and I love it. I'm a nurse and wanted to try something different shift work wears you out. Now I get to also teach which I think I love even more so I feel like I have the best of both world's so blessed! I pack everything we have a small cafeteria horrible food choices. So my teaching is a little different but is so there for the student!!!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

and I don't consider you to be very nice. so, there's that.
    are you hungry? maybe you need a cookie or something.

I sub. and I teach. and, guess, what? I make lesson plans for some classes, because the teachers know I can put an assignment or project together. I even grade tests and papers. because, well, I'm a good sub. that's why I'm requested by many teachers. and when I'm there subbing, kids in other classes will ask me in the morning if I am subbing their class. often, they are disappointed if I'm not. because they like having me in the classroom, too.

seriously. eat a cookie. maybe you won't be such a grump.

(and what do you think subs do in elementary? while in jr. high/high school there is certainly the aspect of giving an assignment and standing guard, elementary kids learn all subjects all day long. and someone has to teach it to them.)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

how kind of you.

What amazing classroom management you must have if your students treat a sub like that.

I would never think of being so disparaging towards substitute TEACHERS.

yeah. this sounds, honestly, like a student problem more than a sub problem. several of the classes I sub know that if they screw up while I'm there, it's double punishment when teacher gets back. generally, it means two days of detention. I've only had to use it a few times, though, because I do control the classroom -- which, as has been noted, is much harder for a sub.
  • Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well I hope we can all get on with motivating and supporting each other now. Be you sub or teacher, attending to kindergarten or undergraduates and all in between, we all need to eat and until now our eating choices have been killing us: that is why we're all here. We are united on those two fronts; the need to improve our diet and we are paid to improve the lives of younglings.