5 Things never to eat

Options

Replies

• Karenlavonne1958
    Options
    I agree. The minute I think I can't have something it becomes the only thing I want! Can't get it off my mind. So if I think of it as a special thing I can have if I really want it, I am fine. I look it up. Decided if it is worth it. Usually it isn't and I go on with life.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who saw "huffington post" and decided it was not worth opening?
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options

It's all about moderation...not elimination. :D

Unfortunately you are incorrect. There are people out there like myself, where moderation does not exist and total elimination is medically required.

Yes. Some people need it eliminated entirely. Others, can moderate it. This is a MODERATIVE concept.
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Unfortunately you are incorrect. There are people out there like myself, where moderation does not exist and total elimination is medically required.

But a medical condition is different. Under normal circumstances, moderation is the key!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i swapped out all rice for quinoa. it's an awesome replacement in mexican. not sure about chinese b/c some of those sauces are kind of scary, but i'd opt for brown there.
  • emilyhalina
    Options
    i personally prefer the taste of wheat bread and brown rice!

but i agree that the word "never" is a little harsh--how about "extremely rarely"??? 'cause chances are, i'm bound to eat some of these "bad" foods every now and then. i just try to avoid them.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I agree except for that word "never".
    How about 5 foods in extreme moderation?

There is nothing I am willing to just give up totally. Forget that.

Completely agree! Certain foods definitely need to be eaten in moderation, but you need to live a little as well...

I am all about the 3 M's of fitness...

MODERATION, MOTIVATION, and MOVEMENT!
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have come to love brown rice, and wheat pasta tastes the same to me as well, although I am trying to stay entirely away from both. I did try the spelt pasta and I would rather never eat pasta than to eat that again, it was terrible!

As to salad dressing, try making your own with dijon mustard, pure natural honey (we get ours from a local farm, and hy vee sells it as well from local vendors) and a little olive oil. One thing most a lot of people don't realize is that Olive oil is only better for you if it is 100% pure olive oil, unrefined and cold pressed. Most of your Olive oil you will find on the shelves at your chain stores is only part olive oil, and part saffron or sunflower oil. This is not the best choice!! We found a brand at wal mart however that is unrefined and it is in a dark green bottle. The brand is california---? something, and it is really tasty!

All of these little changes can make a huge difference and although they may take awhile to adjust to, once you do, you will probably prefer them to be honest! Also I know you said you don't have a problem with sugar, but switching to the Stevia extract in the raw is pretty easy. It actually tastes like regular sugar to us!

Some other foods we have switched over to for our health that we love are Spelt flour for baking and breading (its expensive but tastes wonderful!) you can find it in the organic section at hy-vee, and also Ezekial brand sprouted grain bread, it tastes great and the cinnamon raisin version of it is delicious! Real butter (make sure the only ingredients are milk and creme and its not pasteurized) and we have switched over to coconut oil for the rare occasion we have fried chicken or something like that (also found in the organic section at hy vee) Fried chicken made with coconut oil and spelt flour breading may not be 100% healthy but it is a HUGE improvement over regular flour and veggie oil! Plus the fats in coconut oil are good fats and can actually be beneficial!

All grain products should be used in moderation of course, even with these types, but avoiding "enriched or refined" flour is the first step, white or wheat, they are really not that healthy for you! With the sprouted grain bread, one advantage is that there are not preservatives and it is all natural. Chemicals used for preservation, can slow your fat burning. The liver burns fat, and removes toxins from the body, when you eat a lot of processed foods, or foods with unnatural ingredients/chemicals/dyes etc, the liver spends more time trying to flush out those toxins, and less time burning fat. I know that is more information than you asked for but hope it helps!
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I really don't agree, I have eaten white rice from time to time and have still lost weight. I guess it really depends on the person to be honest.

I agree with you, but it's not saying that you won't lose weight eating white rice. It's just pointing out that white rice has low nutritional value in comparison to brown rice which is much better for you :flowerforyou:
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options

This.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Lol at not eating white bread and white rice and saying whole grain and brown rice is better

White rice is lower calorie too.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    This a terrible article. Dealing in absolutes just sets people up for failure. Unless there is a medical reason a person needs to avoid something (i.e. - my father has celiac disease and cannot have *any* wheat), moderation is much smarter.

Eating an occasional grilled cheese sandwich on nice, soft, fluffy white bread or a piece of fried chicken isn't going to hurt you. Just don't do it every single day.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make it incorrect, it just makes you an exception. For most people, yes, moderation is fine.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing that you should eat vinaigrette dressing instead of creamy ones. If I really thought I could not eat creamy dressings, I would eat my salad plain. Why do these articles assume that everyone likes nasty vinaigrette?
  • angharkins
    Options
    it is really nice, just takes ages to cook
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have no problem staying away from those, and more.
    Im a meat eater following the Dukan diet, to an extreme perhaps, but It's all about meat.
    I've never been a carb, sugar, white bread lover anyway, and hate fried food.

Same here, regarding having no problem staying away from those foods I meant, not the Dukan diet.

I always grill unless I make an omelette and if that happens, I use the one calorie spray for the frying pan. Just got used to wholegrain bread and no longer like white bread.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Lol at not eating white bread and white rice and saying whole grain and brown rice is better

Wot'cha lolling at it for?
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Agree.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Hmm I still eat white bread, occasionally white rice (i like taste of brown better) I still have sugar in my diet as a daily dessert, and WoW! I am incredibly healthy besides some non diet related problems

abd-134.gif
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Wot'cha lolling at it for?

Because long grain white rice has a better GI load than brown rice.