why do people add you but don't even say hi?

Options

Replies

• onlyrobey1
    onlyrobey1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't add people. BUT, I did and it was too much work. I really just want to be focused on my goals. I know sounds terrible right? I don't mind supporting a real friend, but to add people (strangers) just to add them was a little overwhelming for me. I guess I didn't answer your question. That was just my take on things. *shrug*
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I wonder this all the time.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Im new here so I dont completely understand the etiquette of adding. I guess i should have relied on my own common sense. I will now say hi from now on! being new its awkward to friend people still, i hope to get better. thanks for reminding me to be nicer when adding
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    i don't mind being added, but would expect a courtesy message saying hi and why someone added me. Would be nice right?
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    Options
    Good question! Delete 'em :wink:
  • tmarie2715
    Options
    Maybe I'm nuts, but I also expect a little interaction now and then. Don't bother adding me to your collection of hundreds of friends you never take time to comment on my food or exercise diary. I delete quite frequently.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Or those that add you but never say ANYTHING on your profile, no comments of support or congratulations or anything. That one confuses me lol.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I hate this, and decline them. If they can't be bothered writing hi, then are they going to support me when I submit food\exercise? Lol x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Why do you accept their friend request if they dont meet your standards?
  • onlyrobey1
    onlyrobey1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm nuts, but I also expect a little interaction now and then. Don't bother adding me to your collection of hundreds of friends you never take time to comment on my food or exercise diary. I delete quite frequently.

Which is exactally why I don't add anyone. Who has time to do that everyday?

ETA: Well you know, for" hundreds" of people. :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    i don't mind being added, but would expect a courtesy message saying hi and why someone added me. Would be nice right?
    I like something explaining the request.
    Even something like...

"Hi, I saw your picture, and you remind me of my best imaginary friend who speaks to me through the heat vent late at night when I am wondering why I was even ever born. BE MY FRIEND!"

I mean something:embarassed:
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    i always add a message if im adding someone new just to let them no who i am and how much i gotta lose etc its only polite i think x
  • jimasko
    jimasko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its a community , and support and advice is always helpful, and its nice to make good friends.
  • TheNakedHouseWife
    Options
    I add people every once in awhile. And then I get off track of using MFP or I get on quickly to check something and then get off. I do try to leave comments for people.

By the same token, I don't get upset if people don't leave me comments. But I add people sometimes just to watch them change because they're doing awesome jobs!

All in all, I'm a horrible social networker, LOL
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    maximal.... you added me... but didn';t say hi :-P
  • tmarie2715
    Options

It is hugely time consuming. I try to open my friend's eating diaries at LEAST once a week, usually more and add something insightful or other comment. I always comment on exercise, too. If you can't do that for me every few weeks, you aren't worth my time.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

No, high maintenance people who need a WTG, NICE BURN, great job on every little notation need not apply.
    I enjoy one to one interaction through PM or forum banter.
    It's just a preference.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options

ETA: Well you know, for" hundreds" of people. :)

well it is a good tool for just measuring what you eat and work off...

i like the community spirit... but some of these people remind me of people in real life... they just don't make conversation. I do get p!ssed off when i make an effort with someone yet they don't bother with me!
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like something explaining the request.
    Even something like...

"Hi, I saw your picture, and you remind me of my best imaginary friend who speaks to me through the heat vent late at night when I am wondering why I was even ever born. BE MY FRIEND!"

I mean something:embarassed:

This is my new Hi Message Everyone I add will get this message! It shows I really am Loopy
  • tmarie2715
    Options
    Why do you accept their friend request if they dont meet your standards?

I give people a chance first. Sometimes it can be daunting or weird to say "I saw you on the forum" or "noticed you comment on a mutal friend a lot and have similar goals..."

I delete within two weeks if I haven't seen them posting a lot or if they haven't managed to comment on me. Like I mentioned earlier, I am on MFP a lot and try to add thoughtful comments on my friends' progress.