From the 1958 Good Housekeeping Appetizer Book

Options

Replies

• WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    fffp03.jpg

Broiled Grapefruit from Chalet Suzanne in Lake Wales, Florida: "Cinnamon-sugar and butter broil together to form a spicy brown glaze, then a tender chicken liver is perched atop."[/img]

mmmmmm...mmmmmmmm! Wouldn't be complete without the liver on top! drool.gif

Oh yum.....just what I wanted a waste filtering organ as a garnish. :bigsmile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    fffp03.jpg

Broiled Grapefruit from Chalet Suzanne in Lake Wales, Florida: "Cinnamon-sugar and butter broil together to form a spicy brown glaze, then a tender chicken liver is perched atop."[/img]

Oh yum.....just what I wanted a waste filtering organ as a garnish. :bigsmile:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    fffp03.jpg

the trick is the liver MUST be tender or the thing just dont work:laugh: :laugh:

But of course, dahling! :laugh:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Keep going, Shannon..this is helping with the afternoon cravings!!!:laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    The maid looks terrified of the "thing" on the serving cart. :noway: :laugh:

fffp02.jpg

If this was another forum, I'd make a remark about the pan that the "thing" was made in, but..... angel4.gif
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    :sick: ICK...what demented sick puppy came up with peanut butter, ketchup and corn chips..how do you even think that up...I'm pretty sure 1958 was before acid trips, right?
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Keep going, Shannon..this is helping with the afternoon cravings!!!:laugh:

This has replaced yesterday's "zombies" obsession with me! :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    :sick: ICK...what demented sick puppy came up with peanut butter, ketchup and corn chips..how do you even think that up...I'm pretty sure 1958 was before acid trips, right?

bwahaharoll.gif
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Options
    The maid looks terrified of the "thing" on the serving cart. :noway: :laugh:

fffp02.jpg

If this was another forum, I'd make a remark about the pan that the "thing" was made in, but..... angel4.gif

For some reason my eye was drawn to that "thing" too. :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Things haven't improved in 1974....

fluffymackpudding.jpg

:indifferent:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yup..this is what I'm taking to my parents house for Easter dinner!!!:bigsmile:

• mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Things haven't improved in 1974....

fluffymackpudding.jpg

:indifferent:

Ok, somehow "Fluffy" and "Mackerel" were not two words that I would have ever put together. And "Pudding is never a word I would have added to fish!!!! Ahh the egg on top, a sad attempt at garnish????:noway:
    Options
    Ok, somehow "Fluffy" and "Mackerel" were not two words that I would have ever put together. And "Pudding is never a word I would have added to fish!!!! Ahh the egg on top, a sad attempt at garnish????:noway:

It's all about the garnish.....note the liver garnish and the leaf garnish on the previous recipes......who can resist a delightfully garnished meal. :laugh:
  • ClarkOMan
    ClarkOMan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My best buddy's mom got me to try peanut butter and Miracle Whip one time and it wasn't bad. I've tried eating many strange things, but I'd be hard pressed to try these recipies. :sick: This looks like a job for Andrew Zimmern. :laugh:
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    OMG...I laughed out loud!!!!
    Thanks for posting these culinary distasters :sick: :sick: :sick:
    for all of us to laugh :laugh: I wanted to cry :cry: they were so sick but all that came out was laughter!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Ummm, no thanks!! :sick:
    274345926_e938eef1da.jpg
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Perhaps then....

fma03.jpg

Three Layer Salad is made with lemon gelatin, chopped sweet pickles, walnuts and olive slices. Apparently the fillings will layer themselves. Fascinating. Even more fascinating are the Lemon Cups -- hollowed out lemon halves dipped in paprika and filled with mayonnaise.

C'mon!!! Who wants a big ol' mayonnaise cup???? :drinker: They've been sitting in the sun for a couple hours, but don't be shy! :drinker: :smokin:

that is disgusting!!! How could anyone eat that?
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Perhaps then....

fma03.jpg

Three Layer Salad is made with lemon gelatin, chopped sweet pickles, walnuts and olive slices. Apparently the fillings will layer themselves. Fascinating. Even more fascinating are the Lemon Cups -- hollowed out lemon halves dipped in paprika and filled with mayonnaise.

C'mon!!! Who wants a big ol' mayonnaise cup???? :drinker: They've been sitting in the sun for a couple hours, but don't be shy! :drinker: :smokin:

that looks gross without reading the ingredents yuck
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Why do they all look so disgusting?? Is it to keep you from eating again ever????:laugh:
    beanmushroom.jpg