Give me your tips for healthy hair!

Options

Replies

• lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i try to limit blowdrying and flat irons, maybe 1x a week or so.. it's amazing how much heathier my hair has gotten.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I shampoo every day, condition every other day, but I NEVER heat style. I dye my hair once every couple of months, and that's about the worst thing I do to it. Aside from the fact that my hair can sometimes get a little frizzy on top (which is going to happen anyway--it's thick and wavy), it's very healthy and soft. I cannot go a day without shampooing. I've tried going once every 2-3 days in the past and kept it up for a few months, but my hair always looked bad and I broke out all over my face from the excess oil. Sigh.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    it's a ten leave in conditioner I believe it is called... is amazing... It really does help it stay healthier... my hair is very processed... and that is the one thing that if I use it consistantly, helps keep the split ends very minimal!!! I also use the chopsticks to twist my hair into a bun type thing... when it is JUST slightly damp... barely damp at all... and I get TONS of compliments on it when I take it out the bun... it makes the best, long lasting bouncy curls.... you can do it in either one of two of the twists... :) Since I came across them, I have not ONCE used a curling iron in my hair...!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Wow very informative thank you! I got a shower cap so I can keep up with my showers but save my hair :3 my roommie sure thought it was funny! xD

I just bought the red Herbal Essence for long hair. I love it so far :D I have a leave in conditioner and a product that protects against heat, otherwise I have no hair products. Probably a good thing!
    I think i will just have to let my hair air dry, and see how it looks all wavy and touch up/straighten my bangs if they need it. I usually get those cut every couple of months anyway.

Loving these tips! I am certainly a nutrition person and have been looking more on the nutrient side of hair, but a little clueless on others. I actually had no idea that ponytails were even bad for your hair until recently xD
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Use good shampoo and conditioner. It sounds basic but it really does make a difference. When you go for a trim ask your stylist for recommendations because she can customize a system for YOUR hair after seeing it, feeling it, and learning about your maintenance routines. Saving a couple dollars on some herbal essence will really strip your hair in the long run.

Also, if you blowdry or use heat styling tools always use a heat protectant at least on your ends. There are tons out there so you'll be able to find one that works well with your hair and doesn't feel greasy, heavy or sticky. My personal favorites are Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Smoothing Serum and It's a 10 miracle leave-in treatment but feel free to try out a bunch until you find one you like.
  • jennifer282000
    jennifer282000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    well I actually just cut my hair a few months ago It was just about to my waist and regret it now..well I did donate it to locks of love so that makes me feel better about it..I have super thick hair and I would only wash it a couple times a week and if you blow dry do it on a low setting..I also use good shampoo and conditioner and let it sit in for a few min before washing out. I dont rinse the conditioner completely out and I rinse it with cold water. My hair is pretty healthy.
    Options
    I think I may not dye it again until summer either. Since it is pricy and I wont see my boyfriend until then.. so who am i trying to impress right?! haha
  • stylistchik
    Options
    Hmm and what could be used that would be less damaging than ponytails? All I can find is braids but I am terrible at those and they look horrible on me xD

Ponytails aren't that bad, use the softest ponytail holders you can find (ugly old school scrunchies are really best lol) and wear your ponytail in a different spot every day, somedays low, some high, some middle, etc.
  • stylistchik
    Options
    ummmmmm why would you only shampoo he roots? and only condition the ends??
    STOP IT!!!!!
    dont buy cheap shampoo get the good stuff and get a haircut

If you're a stylist then you should know that's how hair should be cleansed and conditioned, especially if it's damaged.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have really long but thin hair. It gets a little dried out and because I have died it a million times and use dryers, straighteners and curling irons it can get pretty damaged. I was getting sort of embarrassed of it so I bought Pantenes new Breakage to strength Shampoo and conditioner and I really like them. I try to use less product and less tools on my hair and I get regular trims to get rid of the split ends and it makes it look a lot healthier. Some people really hate to get trims because they want their hair to grow longer but as you can see in my pic, my hair is pretty long and its not extensions lol and i get my hair trimmed every few months. It makes a difference for sure!
  • nishaaa
    Options
    I get annoyed when I people ask me to cut my hair when i tell them i get split ends! Try an all natural hair mask, beat a couple of eggs and mix with honey and wear it on your hair and wrap your head with plastic wrap and leave it for about half hour and rinse of.. don't worry about the smell, it goes off when you shampoo.
    Options
    Hmm and what could be used that would be less damaging than ponytails? All I can find is braids but I am terrible at those and they look horrible on me xD

Ponytails aren't that bad, use the softest ponytail holders you can find (ugly old school scrunchies are really best lol) and wear your ponytail in a different spot every day, somedays low, some high, some middle, etc.

Ahhh i used to love scrunchies when I was little! What about clips? Would they be better? I sometimes wear banana clips at home since they don't give me a headache like ponytails do
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Also if you want to try not washing it EVERY day... this is the best dry shampoo i;ve come across... : Got 2B Rockin' It Dry Shampoo Encore Fresh it;s about $4.50 @ walmart... I tried the tresseme brand in my hair at work one day, and seriously had to go buy some shampoo and conditioner and wash it in the sink... YUCK! Felt like dirt was poured on my head.

The Got 2B stuff has rice starch or something in it...smells decent, and actually makes your hair feel clean and shiny... I am one of those who HAS to wash my hair everyday or it feels gross...but with the dye I use, it makes it fade super fast... this stuff is the only stuff I've found that works this well...and doesn't make my head feel dry or my hair feel weighed down.... it rocks!
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I agree, The Perfect 10 leave in conditioner is great stuff. Normally I shower at night and let it air dry, but sometimes I do have to use a dryer. I keep the heat at a lower setting and use the Perfect 10 before I start. I also split my hair into 3 sections and dry one section at a time. It is too thick to try and do it all at once, the outside layer gets damaged and underneath it is still wet.
    Have you seen a sock bun? Look it up on youtube. I put my hair in a sock bun the other night and the next morning I had a head full of curls. Was nice to not have to use heat!

Right now my hair is past my bra band. Normally I have donated it by now, but this year I am letting it grow longer so my new do won't be so short. :)
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow there is so much info on here. Who knows who is right or not. Different things work for different people. I do suggest getting a light leave in conditioner. I use that instead of a regular conditioner. If you can find a sulfate free shampoo use it but there impossible to find. The avocado and mayo idea is a great hair treatment. Stay away from suave, pantiene pro-v and all those cheap crappy brands. washing your hair every other day it GREAT!

I use stuff from this site and my hair is nice. So i think. Also DO NOT brush it when it's wet. Let it air dry or blow dry it on cool or warm heat.

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/hair/ Check out there stuff read some reviews see what you think. I use rehab shampoo and veganese conditioner. Once and a while i'll use a leave in conditioner instead (RB).
    Options
    I agree, The Perfect 10 leave in conditioner is great stuff. Normally I shower at night and let it air dry, but sometimes I do have to use a dryer. I keep the heat at a lower setting and use the Perfect 10 before I start. I also split my hair into 3 sections and dry one section at a time. It is too thick to try and do it all at once, the outside layer gets damaged and underneath it is still wet.
    Have you seen a sock bun? Look it up on youtube. I put my hair in a sock bun the other night and the next morning I had a head full of curls. Was nice to not have to use heat!

Right now my hair is past my bra band. Normally I have donated it by now, but this year I am letting it grow longer so my new do won't be so short. :)

Ohhh long and pretty! My hair isnt quite that long, my goal is to have that "mermaid hair" look :D
    I have heard of a sock bun, havent actually done it! ^-^
    Options
    Wow there is so much info on here. Who knows who is right or not. Different things work for different people. I do suggest getting a light leave in conditioner. I use that instead of a regular conditioner. If you can find a sulfate free shampoo use it but there impossible to find. The avocado and mayo idea is a great hair treatment. Stay away from suave, pantiene pro-v and all those cheap crappy brands. washing your hair every other day it GREAT!

I use stuff from this site and my hair is nice. So i think. Also DO NOT brush it when it's wet. Let it air dry or blow dry it on cool or warm heat.

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/hair/ Check out there stuff read some reviews see what you think. I use rehab shampoo and veganese conditioner. Once and a while i'll use a leave in conditioner instead (RB).

Thank you!

I used to brush it when it was wet and rip out hair of course -.- wish i would have cared for my hair more before now xD I did buy a comb for when it is wet!

At least I had the leave in conditioner part right xD Had half my hair bleached in October so I have been using it a lot recently!
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The best conditioner I've ever used is from Aveda, it's their Dry Remedy masque. I leave it in for 5 minutes (up to overnight) and rinse WELL after using (even shampoo it out a bit, you don't want any staying in your hair). It totally eliminated frizz and dryness.

http://www.aveda.com/product/5233/16366/Collections/Dry-RemedyTM/Dry-Remedy-Moisturizing-Treatment-Masque/index.tmpl

100% agree with this stuff - I swear by Aveda products. I use the whole Damage Remedy line,and the Shampure line and alternate during the week.
    Also about once a week i use head and shoulders to get rid of all the product residue.
    I have grown my hair out and donated it 3 times so far each about 14 inches worth and have never really had split ends.
  • Chaquilas
    Chaquilas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No heat and organic sulfate free shampoo. I use giovanni purchased from vitacost.com
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Ahhh i used to love scrunchies when I was little! What about clips? Would they be better? I sometimes wear banana clips at home since they don't give me a headache like ponytails do

my sister yelled at me for wearing ponytails too much lol so i lightly twist my hair into a soft bun and put hair-stick into it (or pencil if i do not have one on hand lol)