Replies

• machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    great tips here.
  • sexyagainbysummer
    sexyagainbysummer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i have been a hairstylist for 9 years now at an aveda salon. you should def take biotin for the growth. is your hair "dry" or "damaged"? there is a differance. find an aveda salon in your area and ask them about a botanical hair treatment. (about $35) they will determain the best treatment for your hair. folllow with a trim and keep up with either the dry or damage shampoo/conditioner. (you can shampoo from root to end, and condition from root to end, everyday if you like!) and depending on how damaged or dry your hair is follow up once a week with the at home treatment! dont take the cheap route. your hair is part of you and if you want it to be healthy you need to take care of it! it is an investment. also, aveda products are very concentrated so a little goes a long way. hope this helped!:flowerforyou:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    My hair is dry not damaged. I got the damaged ends trimmed :]

Good to know! I currently don't have the money for it (yayy college) but I will have to look into it! Any suggestions that I can do at home for now?
  • sexyagainbysummer
    sexyagainbysummer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    stay away from ANY products with alcohol and chemicals. read the labels. try something all natural for dry hair.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Heat is a HUGE wrecker of hair. Let hair air dry. Avoid straightening irons and curling irons.
    Do not do the "turban twist" with your hair after you shower. Hair is most easily damaged when wet, so twisting it all up causes breakage. Also, don't pile it all up on top of your head when you shampoo.
    For dry hair, I'd deep condition at least weekly with hot EVOO or with mayo and avocado. I've heard coconut oil is also amazing and smells divine.
  • efranz12
    efranz12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good shampoo and conditioner. They'll cost you but they last longer cause you don;t need to use as much. And invest in a heat protector spray. And get it trimmed regularly, split-ends are the worst.
    Options
    I just read about the turban twist thing actually! Which I have been doing since I was like 13 lol xD Man I have been doing some things wrong for so long!

Thank you all SO much for your help! :flowerforyou:
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    MOROCCAN OIL - it literally saved my life!!!! it is like liquid gold for your hair trust me you notice after a week the shine and silky hair and make sure you dont have crappy cheap straightners that burn and damage your hair ( I love my GHD's) and trim often... but seriously moroccan oil is sooooooooooooooooo GOOD!
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later...tooooo tired to read all now!! :yawn:
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I think a part of it is genetics. The only thing I do is wash my hair twice a week, unless I've been exercising excessively and hair is getting greasy faster than usual.

Basically for me (and I am a type who constantly gets compliments on my hair), its wash twice a week, ensure I condition. Do not use products in my hair and try not to blow dry or straighten very often.

But again, like I said, genetics helps. I have thick/straight hair, so I don't need product.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    What's so bad about pony tails? I have a habit of putting my hair up as soon as I get home from work and put on my sweats...I don't know, somehow it feels more comfortable that way! I also can't stand sleeping with my hair down...is it really that bad to sleep in a pony tail?
  • melrose09
    Options
    Ugh, my hair is awful :( I think my biggest problem is not keep up with the trims. It's hard with a little one and a husband that works crazy hours. Oh and I have curly, but thin and limp hair It's the oddest combination. I think I'm going to try the olive oil trick tomorrow night
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    MOROCCAN OIL - it literally saved my life!!!! it is like liquid gold for your hair trust me you notice after a week the shine and silky hair and make sure you dont have crappy cheap straightners that burn and damage your hair ( I love my GHD's) and trim often... but seriously moroccan oil is sooooooooooooooooo GOOD!

Yes, Moroccan oil is lovely - great for your skin too.
    Don't use too much, just a little goes a long way.

And don't shampoo too often - I rinse my hair almost every day after running/exercise to wash the sweat away but only use shampoo once a week and it isn't nearly as dry as it used to be. I've found that leave in conditioners are pretty good too, although I thing regular conditioner diluted with water in a spray bottle does the same thing.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I use a huge hair clip to keep my hair from driving me nuts when I sleep.

I heard that ponytails cause a lot of breakage, so I rarely do that. I just wondered if there is another way to have the ponytail look without using a wimpy scrunchie. My hair is really thick and I have to have something strong to hold it in place. Any ideas?
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Is a loose braid any better for sleeping? I'm trying that for tonight...but I mean it's still tied at the bottom, which since my hair is only shoulder length is pretty much at the base of my neck.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Been dating a cosmetologist for 5 years, can I can pass the written part of the licensing exam because of how much I had to study with here, heres a few tips.

-Prenatal vitamins. They are fantastic for your hair and finger nails, pretty much anything that is keratin in it.
    -Make sure you are using the same brand of shampoo and conditioner. When they are the same brand, the pH levels will match between the two, to help stabilize your hair
    -Look into something that fortifies your hair, such as Bed Head or Nioxin. Both are salon brands, and work well
    -Try to avoid harmful processes like keratin (while it does stregthen your hair, carrys a lot of carcinogens), bleaching, or any type of perm
    -If you color your hair, avoid box hair dye when possible. Professionals use products that will make your hair significantly less damaged, as well as can *kitten* if any damage has been done
    -Do not constantly switch hair color levels. If you look at katy perry's current hair, it is extremely unhealthy. The reason is she went from dark to bubblegum pink, which is horrible for your hair. Its now an extreme bleach blonde, which may be fixed now, but around christmas, it was not good.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I just started using moroccan oil. It has CHANGED MY HAIR. Love the stuff. I can't believe I just found out about it. Fantastic stuff, my hair is soo soo soft now!

A friend recomended this so I gave it a try. I've got fine mid-lenght hair, oily at the roots & dry at the ends. Morrocan Oil rocks! I comb thru a drop when my hair's wet, let it dry naturally over night then rub another drop on the ends in the morning. It stops the frizzies & stops my hair tangling so much.
    Options
    Is a loose braid any better for sleeping? I'm trying that for tonight...but I mean it's still tied at the bottom, which since my hair is only shoulder length is pretty much at the base of my neck.

I have heard braids are a lot better! And that sleeping with a ponytail can cause lots of breakage. I usually sleep with it down anyway :D
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hmm and what could be used that would be less damaging than ponytails? All I can find is braids but I am terrible at those and they look horrible on me xD

Ponytails aren't that bad, use the softest ponytail holders you can find (ugly old school scrunchies are really best lol) and wear your ponytail in a different spot every day, somedays low, some high, some middle, etc.

That's what I used before I cut mine. Big fuzzy scrunchies. Plus, my hair is super-fine, so a thick scrunchy hid how scrawny the base of my tail was.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    ummmmmm why would you only shampoo he roots? and only condition the ends??
    STOP IT!!!!!
    dont buy cheap shampoo get the good stuff and get a haircut

If you're a stylist then you should know that's how hair should be cleansed and conditioned, especially if it's damaged.

NO its not.
    in all honesty you shouldnt use "shampoo" at all
    use wen for a couple weeks and your hair will be beautiful
    its expensive tho and not many people are able to spend money on things like that
    but IN NO WAY is only shampooing the roots and only conditioning the ends goin to get your hair healthy from being damaged
    i have bleached the crap out of my hair more then a few times to the point where it was breaking off and wouldnt grow
    and all the conditioner is could have put on the ends would not have made any changes
    i used wen and ovation and brought it back
    but like i said it VERY expensive