New Clothes? When to buy them?

Options
So, for those of you who have many sizes to go down, what is the plan regarding clothes? I am down about a size and a half and noticing my clothes are too loose, yet I don't want to buy a lot of new clothes now when I am only going to go down several sizes. What has everyone else done? I noticed today how annoying it was to keep pulling my jeans up, but a good problem to have :-)

Replies

• PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've been avoiding buying clothes until I hit my goal weight. I'm only 18 lbs away lol
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I pretty much waited until my clothes looked silly.
    Of course my friends had to tell me that I looked ridiculous.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I've changed pants sizes 3 times since I started.... I will NOT buy new until I hit my goal, but that doesn't stop me from hitting second-hand shops / goodwill / salvation army / value village etc to pick up sometimes brand-name stuff still with the tags on them for $2 or $3 so I don't have to keep wearing ill fitting junk.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I bought a belt and used my "big" clothes until they looked ridiculous. I then bought a ton of clothes when I hit my GW, but have since gone down another size and I'm kind of annoyed because I spent so much money. On the "in between sizes" when I was still losing weight, I only bought clearance or from a consignment shop because I knew I wouldn't wear them too long. Depends on your financial situation a lot...if you can afford new wardrobes every 2 months, have fun :love: But since most of us can't, there are going to be some awkward outfits while we are in between sizes!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I shopped at thrift shops all during loss.......cheaper and when I was done with them I donated them back.
  • kayleystar
    kayleystar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I plan to belt my jeans as long as possible, until they just look silly, and buy as thrifty as I can (clearance racks!) until I'm at my goal weight.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 45-50 lbs lost overall, and settled to buy new stuff at 25-30 lbs down. That way I can wear them large at my goal weight and won't have to wait until I hit that point to buy them.

For more loss, though, I'd say every 25 lbs or so. That seems like a fair enough size break to need something smaller.
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well, I lucked out and saved a lot of my smaller clothes, so I've been able to get some use of my jeans and shirts. I did have to buy new sweaters (that are already big), because what i had was huge.... I'd say closet shop the best you can, and maybe buy one or two pairs of new pants - especialy if yours are sliding off. If you are a thrift store lover, you might find some great buys, or if you're an outlet person, I hit the sale just right and got a whole bunch of clothes for less than $100....I would say trade in when you feel like you need it - it will give you a boost in encouragement to help you along your way....This is an awesome probleme to have!!
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Pulled out the sewing machine and started taking things in! :) What a great problem to have... :wink:

Because I'm trying to stretch my $$, am trying to hold off a few weeks and then splurge on new spring/summer clothes.

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I vote for Goodwill!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get a few new pieces every 2 sizes or so. Just get 1-2 things that fit on clearance. A few staples. You'll feel better because you'll notice the difference in how you look, and it will keep you pushing on for more.

Don't forget to get some stretchy knits that will work when you are at a variety of sizes too. Wrap dress? Sweater dress? These can work out pretty well as your size changes. Especially a wrap dress as it is completely adjustable. And a nice knit skirt with an elastic waist. So called "Ponte knit" is perfect. Stretchy, and holds its shape.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Target 50-75% clearance rack. They always have a few shirts/jeans. I can buy a few outfits to rotate for $20.

Oh. I also beg my mommy. :P
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    i have been going to the local goodwill store buying new jeans each month until the spring when I will be at goal weight. I just keep bringing back the ones that are too big and donating them back. Shirts I just shop on clearance racks.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ive weeded out clothes as they got to be so big it was uncomfortable and endanger of falling off. luckly i shopped at first in my own closet and attic , trying on clothes that hadn't fit in a while or were previously unflattering. since then ive bought just a couple of pieces at a time and i tend to buy them snug to extend the life of them in my wardrobe.they are usually from clearance racks and choices that will work with other things i have. im waiting to buy a full wardrobe until i get to my goal and my size stabilized. i will say buying a few flattering pieces at a time is a great way to stay motivated and inspired to keep up the work. also when i find someting on a super deal and flattering it just feels so good! it has been a lifesaver because things come up that you have to have something appropiate,like when i had a family funeral. i was so glad that i had got a dress i had found and almost did't buy because of planning to lose more. good luck extending your wardrobe!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I shop yard sales in good weather, resale shops now that it is winter, and just get a few things to tide me over. I did get some great deals on clearance at the end of the summer that I will have altered this summer - even paying for alterations, I'll come out ahead for having new clothes.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    depends, started at size 24, and am down to size 18ish depending on type of clothing. if it's something you can alter easily like jeans in the waist area, do that or a skirt. or do what i did, buy some clothes that are a bit tight(but fit) that will be your next size and wear that. some things I had to ditch, too big. buy some key pieces like work pants and shirts, and some jeans. and try not to buy anything else until you REALLY have to, I have a ways to go so unless I drop into a 16, these 18's are good for a while. but I understand, it is a very awkward point, not wanting to spend too much time.money on clothes you won't be in a long time
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm a second hand shop addict! lol I go almost every Saturday and usually find a couple of nice things for really cheap. And then once I shrink out of them I send them back to where they came from =)
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I buy a new pair of jeans every three months because thats when I get money, but losing weight or not I always shop second hand so they aren't new, but they're new to me. That is all I'll buy until I lose it all.... well and until i graduate and start working again.
  • Sweet_Southern_Tea
    Options
    I shop at thrift stores before I go to regular stores. I actually hate shopping in regular stores now. 50% of my wardrobe is now thrift stores fines. I have found some of the best hidden gems and designer brands for dirt cheap.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Secondhand shops.
    Buy two or three staple items for work etc. Baggy top and fitted pants are ok, not both!
    I am doing this with a friend who started a little smaller than me, so as she shrinks out of clothes, I shrink into them, which is handy :)
    Buy Adjustable. I have a dress that depending who you do it up, can fit a range of sizes. I bought it right at the start, and it is shrinking with me nicely!
    All pants, shorts and skirts, no matter how cheap, should have belt loops to further extend their life!