New Clothes? When to buy them?

Options

Replies

• AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    for me, i have been shopping goodwill and Ebay ,and on Facebook there is a group for selling womens clothes and they are mostly in my area, so i have met up and sold some bigger stuff and bought a lil smaller.
  • thickmomma0519
    Options
    Wear a belt... buy some sweats of other form of workout clothes. They're stretchy, so buy them in one size too small or something. I don't recommend bicycle shorts though, as you start to lose weight the shorts fall off. Also try clothes with drawstrings. Having to wear scrubs constantly has always helped me. I just tightened up the drawstrings and kept going. Good luck with that and congratulations!!!
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've changed pants sizes 3 times since I started.... I will NOT buy new until I hit my goal, but that doesn't stop me from hitting second-hand shops / goodwill / salvation army / value village etc to pick up sometimes brand-name stuff still with the tags on them for $2 or $3 so I don't have to keep wearing ill fitting junk.

^ ^ ^ what she said. :):):):) :happy:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would suggest buying a few items here and there that you know you would wear consistenly, but don't go throwing your whole closet away & starting over until your pretty close to your goal weight.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've gone from an 18 down to a 10, and I've actually bought clothes at every size drop. It's my treat to myself for losing weight. Not a full new wardrobe of clothes, but at least a few key pieces that I can mix and match with other things.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Quote from: ruggedBear
    While every body is different, I started at roughly the same size and the changes have been something like this:

Size-Weight
    22W - 230
    20W - 220
    18W - 215
    16W - 205
    14W - 195

For reference, I am 5'2". I also buy all my clothes at the same store - their pants come in three 'fit' options and I buy the same fit every time so I know the sizing is true. My big fear is that their Womens sizes stop at 12W and I will have to go into the Misses section, starting over at a 16! It will be challenging to overcome that mental switch - but I'm looking forward to it!
    [/quote]

This is so interesting!! I'm 5FT, 215 now and in a size 14/L. It is amazing how body types very. Another reason why BMI telling me I should weigh between 94-125lbs is absolutely ridicules!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I put all my old clothes on Ebay. They made me £700! Yes £700! This enabled to me to buy more clothes and more! This included nice shoes as I've gone down a shoe size. Joe browns plus size clothing sells amazingly well so now I buy that in the sale, get som wear and when its too big put it on ebay and get more or less what I paid... So I can buy some more. Works great for me x
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how often do you drop a size? I mean after how many lbs lost? I was a size 20/22 and have lost 11lb, have noticed my clothes loser but dont want to try on a size 18 in case the button wont do up and i get fed up - not going to give up that easily in it for the long haul but would be disheartening especially when i am happy with the progress on the scales. anyone the same size would be great to hear your feedback just to know when i even go in to try on smaller clothes - even if i buy nothing!

That's hard to say.

For me, a few weeks ago:
    250 = ~20 in pants, 18 in skirts
    I haven't tried any pants on lately, and I have loads of stretchy pants, but I bought some jeans in 18W and they are just too big in the waist now. But for me, most stuff is too big in the waist and fits pretty well everywhere else. So when I gained those last 10, things when from too big in the waist to just right in the waist. I have lost some in the waist and hips. Not a lot in the thighs, and that tends too push me up a size since I am bigger there.

I am back to fitting into the slightly smaller items in my wardrobe at the moment. (I have some skirts that were more nipped in at the waist than others). It looks like some of my jeans will not work anymore, but I have maybe 1-2 pair of smaller jeans floating around and a lot of jeggings that should work for at least 10-15 more pounds.
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I actually won't need to buy any because I have a wardrobe of clothes from sizes 6 to 14. LOL. I was about 125 prior to kids and have had to buy larger sizes each child. Now, I'm in my size 12 clothes. Yah!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 40 pant to a size 36 in the month of January...The 36 are already too big!! I think it's baggy loose pants for the next month at least haha
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I hate buying clothes. I've lost 30 lbs so far and have not bought anything, given my clothes still fit fine. They're lose, but doable. When I hit 40 lbs lose, I might go buy a few new things, but really, I'm just going to wait til my clothes are literally falling off me and I have no choice but to go buy new clothes.
  • Smansfield1
    Smansfield1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been getting bit and pieces from Goodwill. I love the NSV of buying something a size smaller but HATE paying the price for new stuff when I know they're going to be too big soon. Once I plateau and are close to my goal then I will splurge and get new clothes
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For me, it was important to feel better about how I looked at each new size, so I just bought some wardrobe staples that fit as I lost weight.

As for how many pounds translated to a new size, that really varied for me and it had less to do with pounds and more to do with how I was changing my shape through exercise. For example, the first true size change was probably after between 15-20 pounds, but there have been other size changes where the weight loss was much smaller but my body was more compact (thank you, ChaLean Extreme).

Good luck to you!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5-10lbs from my goal weight, so I've started buying a few new items of clothing already. I highly recommend looking at places like thrift stores or Good Will, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose and know you'll be growing out of that clothing soon. I've gotten some really nice designer brand clothing at stores like that, so you just need to know which ones to hit and to be patient and really dig through the racks.
  • jrucktaeschel
    Options
    I have been buying clothes from other people so that way I am not spending lots of money on clothes that I wont use very long. I dont like wearing all the baggy clothes when I go to work.
  • CatMHWH
    CatMHWH Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, i can see from the replies that every body is different, so i will just wait till my pants fall down around my ankles before venturing out to buy anything new!
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pulled out the sewing machine and started taking things in! :) What a great problem to have... :wink:

Because I'm trying to stretch my $$, am trying to hold off a few weeks and then splurge on new spring/summer clothes.

I did the same. I took in my pants with the sewing machine. I just don't wear my big tops any more. When I get to goal I will buy some more clothes. I get hand me downs from my mom because she is a few sizes smaller than me. When she loses weight I take the clothes that don't fit her any more. Even those are starting to get big!
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I started out wearing size 22, I would typically wait till I was down 2 sizes then I'd have my work slacks altered...this way I knew I could wear them till I dropped another 2 sizes. So I officially purchased new pants when I got to size 14/16. As far as blouses go, I shop at Ross quite a bit and can't always find cute tops anywhere from $8 to $15 dollars.
  • hunnyspice
    hunnyspice Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a clothes w***e and have a closet full of clothes from when I was younger that range from size 10-16 (current size), but if it wasn't for not having a job I would definitely be shopping every week. Always from the clearance rack at all my favorite stores. Love, love getting really cute jeans for $5 or less. And it works out for my mom who's losing weight and fitting into my clothes now. Also I know my clothes is going to fit me for a while 'cause I wear it all snug.
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "Bump"