Surprised by how many people cant spell "lose"

Options
124»

Replies

• cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    WOW how many of you have your RED pen handy?? Really this is not school, people do make mistakes, they might type to fast just to get their point across and not re-read what they wrote. If the spelling of someone else bothers you taht much, I would hate to see what your significant other has to put up with in real life. WOW is all I have to say. I am pretty sure everyone on here knows how to spell, has been through school and they don't want to come on to the fitness site that is helping them LOSE weight to be yelled at by a person who might be half their age, or is ignorant enought to rant about spelling.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are taking this little rant seriously...it IS posted in Chit Chat, Fun, and Games! If you want support and acceptance go to a different forum!! Now...what really gets me is people not using a dang Oxford Comma!! Come on people, that tiny little comma changes the entire sentence!!!
    Seriously though, as a teacher, it drives me crazy seeing so many adults in America not knowing how to use their own language properly. It makes us look bad...our schools already fall behind many other countries...the lack of education we put forth on websites doesn't help our image at all!

Again, how about using the apostrophe or ellipses properly if you are going to criticize others.

Just a suggestion. :D
    Hey, can you show me where I should place an apostrophe in the post I wrote? Apostrophes are used for contractions and possessives...none of which I used incorrectly, I only included one contraction for that matter.
    Also, I would like to give you a little "education" on the ellipsis:
    Ellipsis is a series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word, sentence or whole section from the original text being quoted. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence, (aposiopesis),example: "But I thought he was..." . When placed at the beginning or end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy or longing. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech or any other form of text.
    I do add an ellipsis when I want an added pause, as mentioned above. Since I cannot speak my post to you, I add the pause for dramatic sake for you! Is it proper for research papers? No, not under MLA or other writing methodology guidlines. However, in an informal writing, such as blogs and internet forums, it is considered acceptable.
    So, before you call me out on mistakes I DID NOT MAKE, feel free to educate yourself next time. You are one of those lovely people who again make us all look so stupid as you do not seem to think before you type!
  • MomsTooBig
    MomsTooBig Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised that someone didn't mention the wrong placement of the word to/two/too LOL

But seriously, this is a casual forum with weight loss/health as the main objective, not upgrading our credits in English.

I think the important thing is to make sure that you use proper grammar & spelling when it's needed/mandatory, such as resumes, school papers etc.

no come on peeple, cant we just all play nice and get a long? lol :flowerforyou:

Tracy

13680624.png
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about people who use an apostrophe to pluralise.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Dear Haters:

I'll match my spelling skills against any one of you and come out on top.

I have every right to call out every spelling error and point my finger at them in shame.

I don't do that...

Why you gotta go calling out people who aren't as good of a spellur as you?
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's can't, not cant ;) ... Just sayin' ...
  • slayerdan
    Options
    Maybe you should start MFP for scholars. I hate it too, but see no purpose in pointing it out.
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We all want to lose so our pants will be loose! :drinker:

^^lol
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's can't, not cant ;) ... Just sayin' ...

Dammit, you beat me to it. Note to OP - Don't criticise other people and then procede to make several errors yourself.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Don't let people's ignorance deter you.
    This is America - under-educated, ill informed and over opinionated.

If we knit-pick everybody's posts, we "loose" the opportunity to reach out and help.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are taking this little rant seriously...it IS posted in Chit Chat, Fun, and Games! If you want support and acceptance go to a different forum!! Now...what really gets me is people not using a dang Oxford Comma!! Come on people, that tiny little comma changes the entire sentence!!!
    Seriously though, as a teacher, it drives me crazy seeing so many adults in America not knowing how to use their own language properly. It makes us look bad...our schools already fall behind many other countries...the lack of education we put forth on websites doesn't help our image at all!

Again, how about using the apostrophe or ellipses properly if you are going to criticize others.

Just a suggestion. :D
    Hey, can you show me where I should place an apostrophe in the post I wrote? Apostrophes are used for contractions and possessives...none of which I used incorrectly, I only included one contraction for that matter.
    Also, I would like to give you a little "education" on the ellipsis:
    Ellipsis is a series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word, sentence or whole section from the original text being quoted. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence, (aposiopesis),example: "But I thought he was..." . When placed at the beginning or end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy or longing. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech or any other form of text.
    I do add an ellipsis when I want an added pause, as mentioned above. Since I cannot speak my post to you, I add the pause for dramatic sake for you! Is it proper for research papers? No, not under MLA or other writing methodology guidlines. However, in an informal writing, such as blogs and internet forums, it is considered acceptable.
    So, before you call me out on mistakes I DID NOT MAKE, feel free to educate yourself next time. You are one of those lovely people who again make us all look so stupid as you do not seem to think before you type!

Wow-- arrogant much? :noway:

There are common mistakes people make. Creating a post about it, I've always thought, was bad form.

Bigger fish to fry in life, people-- like arrogance, for example. Why don't you maybe look inward, first, and consider how thoughtless and arrogant you might be, before you worry about someone's spelling....... (extra little dots thrown in there just for emphasis, lest I be judged.... :wink: ) Just a thought.

Get a life, people.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i love it when the grammar police and the moral brigade get into a brawl...

michaeleatingpopcorn.gif
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at how many times this topic has come up!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    i love it when the grammar police and the moral brigade get into a brawl...

michaeleatingpopcorn.gif

:laugh:

How did I never notice how bad Michael Jackson's manners were? Chew with your mouth closed, dude.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm surprised that the OP couldn't spell "can't."
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Dear users,
    I'm letting you know why I am locking this thread. There are several reasons, but the primary one is, this is a massive repost. There is at least two of these posts a day, and there is no reason to keep posting the same topic over and over again. Please use the search function, to make sure you are not posting something that has already been posted.

Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay on MyFitnessPal,
    _Ben
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.