Sociological discussion on remaining single for a long time

Options
1235»

Replies

• Roshams
    Options
    Not at all!!

I was single most of my life. Had many interests, however, I wasn;t interested in someone fake, or someone who would hold me back.
    Finally met someone 3 years ago this month that blew me away...Real from day one, no BS, and funny as all heck!
    Glad I waited and wasn;t stuck in a crappy relationship when I met her.

I will never understand people that are chronic daters and are terrified to be alone, jumping from one bad relationship to the next. To me, they are the ones that clearly have something wrong with them, and should really work on their insecurities :D
  • kaikoi47
    kaikoi47 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that just need to be with someone to feel complete regardless of how functional or dysfunctional the relationship. My feelings on it are that it's more responsible to be single & not settle than to compromise yourself & your feelings simply to avoid being alone. It avoids that drama that happens during the relationship & when that "something better" comes along & you have to go through the break-up, and everything that's involved.

THANK YOU! i completely agree. i tell the girls at my college this all the time, but who am i but a SINGLE woman, who wants success over fake feelings, and intentions that are not on my TO DO list.
  • kaikoi47
    kaikoi47 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not at all!!

I was single most of my life. Had many interests, however, I wasn;t interested in someone fake, or someone who would hold me back.
    Finally met someone 3 years ago this month that blew me away...Real from day one, no BS, and funny as all heck!
    Glad I waited and wasn;t stuck in a crappy relationship when I met her.

I will never understand people that are chronic daters and are terrified to be alone, jumping from one bad relationship to the next. To me, they are the ones that clearly have something wrong with them, and should really work on their insecurities :D

>_< THANK YOU! there are intelligent individuals in this world that realize there is something WRONG if you are insecure and need someone to make you secure within yourself and then badmouth those that want to be single to fix themselves and understand what they need and therefore will not accept from people.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've been on both ends of the spectrum... When I was a teenager, I was a serial dater. Boyfriend after boyfriend that I thought I "loved" but pretty much was just infatuated with for a few months then I moved on to someone new who gave me that thrill all over again. After too much of that (especially once sex was part of the picture), I realized it really wasn't for me. I wanted someone in my life who would keep me interested and to be that best friend/partner for life. So I took a couple years off from the whole dating scene and just as the statistics will tell you, when I was ready to start getting out there again, that's when my hubby popped into the picture. Strange but true!

The only problem I think I'd have with being single again would be living alone. At least before I met hubby I had roommates and plenty of single friends/co-workers to hang out with. I'd probably move south to be closer to my besties at least.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I've been single for around 1 year...while i dream of true love, I don't really care whether I'm single or in a relationship...both have pros and cons...I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but in comparison to my younger self, I think it takes a more mature person to be able to see life from a perspective where there is nothing wrong with being single and being in a relationship isn't the be-all end-all.

I was going to date this guy from my school because he is gorgeous, but realized there isn't much else there. I feel it is better now, keeping my options open. When the right guy comes around, I'll know. And if he doesn't, so be it! :glasses:
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was 41 when I got married for the 1st time...there certainly is/was nothing wrong with me; I wanted to find the right person and I certainly didn't settle. My husband and our relationship was worth the wait; it's better than I could have ever imagined.

Like I read from someone else's post...lowering your standards doesn't make you happy or make your problems go away. My husband and I were both happy people and brought that to our relationship. Some people are so desperate to have a relationship they'll compromise their integrity just to have one which ends up making them miserable in the long run.

Some people just use other people until someone else comes along which I believe is pathetic...