How much water do I HAVE to drink to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I drink a minimum of 100oz of water a day. More if I do a really hard workout. Here's a slide show about some of the benefits.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-water-9/default.htm

I find I feel better, get fewer headaches, my skin clears up, my digestive tract works better, and I don't get as PMSy (or MSy, some would say) at that TOM.

There is no perfect recipe. It's suggested you drink 8, 8oz glasses a day. But you do get moisture from foods, and even other things you drink. So you don't need to drink quite as much. However, I do not lose weight without drinking a lot of water. Just how I work I guess. I was able to flush 9 pounds in a week by just adding more water! Nothing else, not changing food or exercise routine at all.

To drink more water - always have a glass nearby. Add a lemon or lime wedge, slice of cucumber or orange. Even throwing in a sliced strawberry. Just keep sipping! Before you know it, you'll have it all in. I like water ice cold, except during a workout. I get dehydrated really easily. A personal trainer friend told me if your muscles start cramping, drink some water - it will alleviate the problem. So far it's worked!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you would like an example, my mom hates water, and prefers only diet cokes. She is in terrible health right now, and her teeth, the ones she has left, look gross. Incentive? I think so! Also, I exercise a lot, so water is important in that respect. God made it, it can't be bad.

Nice story, but totally irrelevant. Sorry your mother doesn't understand what a toothbrush is, but drinking soda will not ruin your teeth unless you have no concept of oral hygiene. And if that's the case, it's pretty obvious that there are many reasons for her poor health, but beverage choice is certainly not the cause.

Nice scare tactic, though.

Also, for the "half your bodyweight" crowd, 100% myth. The human body needs to replace roughly 2.5 liters of water a day. Half a liter on average comes from food everyday, which leaves about 2 liters that you need. 2 liters is about 2 quarts, and 2 quarts is 8 cups. This is where the 8 cups suggestion comes from. Of course the original suggestion was 8 cups of fluid, not water, as the source of the liquid is irrelevant. And how much you need has nothing to do with size. The body loses roughly the same amount of water, no matter what it weighs.
  • EAGINOCCHIO
    Options
    I too, have a difficult time with "plain water". I was a big diet soda fan too, which they are finding out inhibits weight loss, I was not a big "anything drinker" either, just like you.

I recently found "Great American" brand flavored waters at Walmart. They are inexpensive (64 cents a liter in our area). Some are a little to sweet for me, but the majority are fine.

I started by having one liter with me while working at my computer. I would sip every once in a while. Then before I knew it, I was drinking 2 liters a day. It kinda felt like I was drinking soda, as it was flavored and carbonated. Now I am doing between 2-3 liters a day.

I have noticed many good differences. My skin is not a dry, my system is much more regular (I'm recovering from colo-rectal cancer, so this is a GREAT thing.

I also found that once my body was correctly hydrated, it craved the water, and a lot of times, when I thought i was hungry, I was really thirsty, so now, when I think I'm hungry, I drink more water..if it goes away, I was thirsty, if not then I'm truly hungry.

Increasing the "water intake" in my life has truly improved it. It is worth the change....
  • phlpsfamily01
    phlpsfamily01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No joke, try drinking water out of a cup with a straw. Bahah i swear it's easier that way.

I totally agree with this, you drink much more when drinking thorough a straw!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no difference at all between the Walmart Great American flavored waters and diet soda. They both have the same carbonation, artificial sweeteners, and flavoring additives. I guess you disproved your own theory about diet soda I hi irony weight loss.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Read the links given in some of the previous responses. There is no scientific basis for drinking 8 cups of water per day. I iss a recommendation, but hardly necessary. I consistently lose weight drinking an average of 2 to 3 cups of water per day. And other sources of water are sufficient.

A couple more links

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    If you have problems drinking water, try drinking it at a warmer temperature. Room temp water is easier to drink than cold water.

I was going to say this as well :smile:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If you have problems drinking water, try drinking it at a warmer temperature. Room temp water is easier to drink than cold water.

Agreed. At work I mix in some water from the hot water dispenser so it's slightly above room temperature. That makes it perfect for drinking.
  • mack1238
    Options
    I used to drink about a 12 pack of diet coke/day, now I cut out soda completely and switched to about a gallon of water/day. I don't know if that has helped my weight loss at all but I know I have a lot more energy, especially in the afternoon when I used to always feel run down.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Be careful too though, watch that your electrolytes don't get wiped out by too much water, but that doesn't sound like it will be a problem for you....just be careful. Have seen a person taken to the hospital for just that, her water intake was extreme.

A few women marathoners have died from hyponatremia. After running a slow marathon, while consuming lots of water during the run, they drank even more water. Their electrolytes concentration plummeted, they keeled over, and were DOA at the hospital because they didn't have enough sodium/potassium for their heart to continue to beat.

The topic of water consumption for runner's is discussed in "Runner's World Guide to Injury Prevention" (I bought my used from Amazon for < $5). The author discusses water consumption starting on page 84 and provides details about the International Marathon Medical Directors Association who changed their water consumption recommendation in 2001.

As of 2001, they recommend an upper limit (yes "upper") for how much water should be consumed per hour of exertion at 800 milliliters per hour (about 27 ounces) and their guidance it that runners should consume water when they feel thirsty.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Enough to not be ill from dehydration. No more. In other words, not much, especially if you eat a lot of high moisture foods.
  • justme84x
    Options
    i used to hate water! but now i crave it over flavored waters and sometimes over my coffee! i tend to drink between 75 and 100 oz a day easily
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you would like an example, my mom hates water, and prefers only diet cokes. She is in terrible health right now, and her teeth, the ones she has left, look gross. Incentive? I think so! Also, I exercise a lot, so water is important in that respect. God made it, it can't be bad.

Nice story, but totally irrelevant. Sorry your mother doesn't understand what a toothbrush is, but drinking soda will not ruin your teeth unless you have no concept of oral hygiene. And if that's the case, it's pretty obvious that there are many reasons for her poor health, but beverage choice is certainly not the cause.

Nice scare tactic, though.

Also, for the "half your bodyweight" crowd, 100% myth. The human body needs to replace roughly 2.5 liters of water a day. Half a liter on average comes from food everyday, which leaves about 2 liters that you need. 2 liters is about 2 quarts, and 2 quarts is 8 cups. This is where the 8 cups suggestion comes from. Of course the original suggestion was 8 cups of fluid, not water, as the source of the liquid is irrelevant. And how much you need has nothing to do with size. The body loses roughly the same amount of water, no matter what it weighs.

ojell- I was popping in to see the responses to this because I also find it difficult to drink even close to the "recommend" amount of water. A very valid question on a very controversial topic apparently. There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on the topic, so I would suggest checking in with a doctor of some sort and perhaps researching it a little further just to be sure. As for you Tigerswords, did you wake up this morning with intention of being rude to someone? If so, you have succeeded. I don't think a simple question about water should have ever resulted in an answer this foul, even if there are several varying opinions on the subject. This site is for everyone to come together and support one another, not bash or insult or belittle each other. If you feel that someone is offering incorrect information, maybe you should find a more tactful way of saying so. Have a nice day everyone!
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I absolutely hate drinking water!!!! LOL I put Crystal Light in my water and I drink 6 8oz servings a day and that it enough for me. Even that has me running to the bathroom all day LOL Good luck!!!

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    HEY!! here is a website that will tell you how much water YOU specifically need to drink depending on how you answer the questions. It's a mini quiz basically that gives you a personalized response. For example: are you pregnant, what your weight is, and how much exercise you get, or if you sit on your bum all day... ... things like that. Hope it helps!! :flowerforyou:

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • kbf2107
    kbf2107 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    you could also try putting crystal light packets in your water. I recommend the lemonade, ice tea, or fruit punch.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Try making yourself drink a cpl oz's before drinking your beverage of choice as you get used to that then add more. I have never had an issue with water but never drank enough. So when I started doing it I would make myself drink 8 oz before my coffee, 8 oz before dinner. 8 oz before any other drink I had. Now I drink coffee in the am and drink nothing but water for the rest of the day. It takes time and it can be hard but no one said losing weight would be easy. And water isnt gonna make yo ulose weight but it helps flush out fat and keeps you hydrated which is important for your body. think of the benefits as you sip on that 2 oz :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    The only thing I enjoy drinking a lot of is milk, but that's not good. lol

It's okay to drink milk.
  • jgjohnstone
    jgjohnstone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find it's difficult to get in the water required per day. My trick is to put 64 oz of water in a jug. It is a visual thing. I drink from this jug throughout the day. When it's gone, I know that I have had my 8 glasses for the day and anything over that is a bonus! When I can't take the water anymore, I add a splash of lemon just to change up the taste.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This is one of those MFP hot button issues that usually ends in a lot of disrespectful chatter off topic so be warned . There are plenty of differing ideas about this with most having some sort of study to back it up . I personally drink at least 64 ozs of WATER per day and lose at a steady pace without a lot of daily fluctuation regardless of my sodium intake , fiber intake , etc. In the studies that may be quoted , keep in mind that statistical analysis of all the participants of the studies are taken into account to draw a conclusion and for your purposes should be a guideline only . You may react better with the water than without - experiment .