What do you want to be when you grow up?

Options

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    23 years old isn't grown up?

definitely not. I'm 23 now and I feel like I still have way more "growing up" to do. I haven't graduated college yet, I don't have a real job yet besides my part-time one, I haven't ever paid for a mortgage on a house or raised children. just because you can pay bills and not live with your parents doesn't mean you're 100% grown up, lol.

I guess this is hard for me to understand. At 22, I had graduated college, was supporting myself, and living a "settled" lifestyle. Everyone is different, I suppose.

At 22, I had a 3 year old, was supporting myself and going to university. I felt grown up at the time. Now, though, I see I had a long way to go & I understand I probably still have much growing up to do. In the words of Bob Dylan, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." However, I do see people around me that seem to have it much more together, even long-term, than I ever have, and it sounds like you are one of those people. Some people just have a real clarity and drive about what they want to do. I admire that, but it's definitely not me :)

It all depends on who you are as a person. I was "grown" at 17 because I had a child, that needed me. I was not a steriotypically "teen mom" My mother didn't help me, I moved out when my son was 2 months old, went to and finish HS, and got a job right away. Paid my own bills, bought my own groceries, no goverment help. No I did not go to college until later, but I am more grown that a lot of people I know that are older than I am. I am now 24 (almost 25) and I've lived and "grown" more than many many people my age.

You really shouldn't generalize like that
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    A Weathergirl.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm already grown up and I want a do-over!

Ditto.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and still asking myself this question. I have a great job (good pay, relaxed atmosphere, interesting) but I just kind of fell or grew into it. I didn't study for or plan on it, and sometime I still ask myself what I'd really like to be. But the only answer that I ever come up with is 'healthy'.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up my bachelor's now and about to start my master's to become a physician assistant. I'm very excited!!!
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options

It is... but I was kind of being silly. I still have some growing up to do...

I used to joke all the time about how I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I get this.

Now at 28, married, college graduate (business), 3yr old child, homeowner, with a "big girl" job, I still feel the same way. I have a "good job" and am "thankful" for said job, but I don't feel as if I found my occuptional purpose in the world yet.

It is definitely much easier to test the water with different ideas when you only have to care for yourself. So experiment and do some soul searching. Best of luck to you!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

definitely not. I'm 23 now and I feel like I still have way more "growing up" to do. I haven't graduated college yet, I don't have a real job yet besides my part-time one, I haven't ever paid for a mortgage on a house or raised children. just because you can pay bills and not live with your parents doesn't mean you're 100% grown up, lol.

I guess this is hard for me to understand. At 22, I had graduated college, was supporting myself, and living a "settled" lifestyle. Everyone is different, I suppose.

At 22, I had a 3 year old, was supporting myself and going to university. I felt grown up at the time. Now, though, I see I had a long way to go & I understand I probably still have much growing up to do. In the words of Bob Dylan, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." However, I do see people around me that seem to have it much more together, even long-term, than I ever have, and it sounds like you are one of those people. Some people just have a real clarity and drive about what they want to do. I admire that, but it's definitely not me :)

It all depends on who you are as a person. I was "grown" at 17 because I had a child, that needed me. I was not a steriotypically "teen mom" My mother didn't help me, I moved out when my son was 2 months old, went to and finish HS, and got a job right away. Paid my own bills, bought my own groceries, no goverment help. No I did not go to college until later, but I am more grown that a lot of people I know that are older than I am. I am now 24 (almost 25) and I've lived and "grown" more than many many people my age.

I didn't read any generalisation in that, but it's true, when you get older you will know more and appreciate more. I'm sure that even though you had to be grown up for your son at 17 you feel more "adult" now? :smile:
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

I agree. It really burns me up when someone sees my age and assumes I am immature, or still a kid, etc. I am a wife, a mother, and an accomplished adult. Age is relevant. You don't have to have your life altogether by a certain age. Being young and not knowing your niche is okay. However, just because a person is young, doesn't mean this is the case.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I want to be a Toys R Us kid....
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    but it's true, when you get older you will know more and appreciate more.

Age has absolutely nothing to do with life experience. Some people go through more in one year than others do in their entire life.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    just......happy
  • Fockertots
    Options
    I want to be an adjunct professor and the coordinator of a violence prevention organization that implements education to the surrounding community.......... or the next Gilda Radner.
    :]
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm an RN, it's an interesting but stressful job. If you decide to go that route, I recommend going right for an associate's degree in nursing or even a bachelor's, rather than doing LPN, you can get more interesting jobs. I have a bachelor's and I get paid more to do the same job.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

I agree. It really burns me up when someone sees my age and assumes I am immature, or still a kid, etc. I am a wife, a mother, and an accomplished adult. Age is relevant. You don't have to have your life altogether by a certain age. Being young and not knowing your niche is okay. However, just because a person is young, doesn't mean this is the case.

I don't generally tell people how old I am, that know I have a 7.5 yr old, for this reason. It's pathetic.
  • LiquidSugarr
    LiquidSugarr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can never make up my mind when it comes to this. I was in school recently for medical assistant/phlebotomy but it really didn't hold my interest like I thought it would. Just didn't seem like the right "fit" for me. I make more at my current job than the going rates for medical assistants in my area anyway, which is a little sad.

I enjoy my current job minus a few things, but that's pretty typical. I just don't think I could ever make a career out of it. I only say that as far as the pay rate is concerned as well as there will never be any benefits.

So, what do YOU want to be when you grow up? Or, are you in a career right now that you will probably hold up until you retire. If so, what do you do for work?

Famous ;p

I actually want to be an RN.
  • scotslass
    Options

Age has absolutely nothing to do with life experience. Some people go through more in one year than others do in their entire life.

I completely agree with that
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options

^^^ Agree
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I agree with that, but I still feel that, even though at 22 I was married, a mother, a carer and a householder etc, I have grown up more in the past 10 years and realise just how young I was then. I didn't mean to cause offence to anyone, some "grown ups" seem to like looking for an argument where there is none
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, I made it to 49 without growing up, I'm not about to start now. ~chuckles~
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Not really. Some people may go through more trama or drama or horror in one year than others ever will, but not more overall experience. And sometimes that lack of experience makes <whatever> seem more tramatic, dramatic or horrific than it might if it happened later in life. There really isn't anything equal to living as an experience.