Visiting America - Suggestions guys!

Options

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much time you have, I would recommend visiting multiple places. The United States are so diverse and each region is not unlike being in a different country. A great mix would include the following:
    - Charleston, SC (for all the reasons mentioned above)
    - Austin, TX (great people, great music)
    - San Diego, CA (awesome weather, surfing)
    - Las Vegas, NV (you know why)
    - Chicago, IL (The best large city in America, diverse population, great food)
    - Boston, MA (history, nightlife)

I'd spend about 3 - 5 days in each location.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear my British Accent will be a hit, my plan is to go for a lovely cold beer in the heat as soon as I arrive!
    Stay away from Corona. That's a "mexican" beer. Coronoa means "we p*ss in your beer" in spanish.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Gulf coast Alabama, beautiful, uncrowded beaches. Quaint, friendly southern towns. New Orleans, great party town with historic area and shops
  • jmmtaylor
    Options
    I lived in Indiana all my life and moved out to Colorado Springs, Colorado...and it is AMAZING! You have the Rocky Mountains, lots of hiking opportunities and out door activities. Beautiful scenery everywhere you go (you can drive up Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Cave of the Winds). I've been here 2 years and I'm still finding "new" views. It's amazing. There is "Old Colorado" and Manitou Springs that has little antique stores and small businesses. Plus, there are many towns around here (that are less than 30 minutes away) that has their own things, like the Royal Gorge, which is a huge suspension over the canyon.

Depending on when you come out here it's very nice weather during the summer months, winter is a bit bitter cold. There are no lakes that you can swim in, but we do have hot springs that you can go to :)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear my British Accent will be a hit, my plan is to go for a lovely cold beer in the heat as soon as I arrive!
    Stay away from Corona. That's a "mexican" beer. Coronoa means "we p*ss in your beer" in spanish.

That's why you add lime to it...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Charleston, South Carolina

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH
    The Market/lots of little eateries and shops

Lots of Friendly People

Wonderful Hotels Downtown

Endless Possi:tongue: iblities for Fun! =)

That sounds like juuuust what I'm looking for. I like a friendly community that's quite close knit. I like my little eateries and shops, I'm not a supermarket person I like my little quirky places + the beach sounds awesome! I'll have to do some research!

My Dad went to Texas about 10 years ago and loved every minute of it. I'd love to go cycling round somewhere and do a lot of running too so if there's good scenery that's a bonus!

Oh and plus it has to be hot so I can take my shirt off etc, all this hard work hasn't been for nothing haha! Ripped & British Accent = win?

If you go the Charleston route, you could also meander your way down to Savannah, Georgia. It's about 2 hours away, so it makes for a nice day trip. Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach are also in close proximity to Charleston, as well.

You could also do Chicago, Illinois (some nice museums, aquariums and whatnot), the greater Cleveland, Akron/Canton, and Columbus, Ohio areas (science museums, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, pro football hall of fame, Amish country, Cedar Point, and the various markets and other little stuff that are around). Portland, Oregon is a nice place, from what I hear from my friends that live there. You'll want to hit all of them up in the summer, though.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Arizona!!! You have the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Tombstone...Phoenix has plenty to do and see as well.

I've been to Arizona. (I'm from Chicago). I would LOVE to go back! Sedona was the most BEAUTIFUL place I've ever been. If you time your trip right, you can see lovely desert flowers in Phoenix. The botanical garden in the Phoenix area is excellent. We didn't have a chance to see the Grand Canyon, and I hope to go back and do so one day. I don't remember exactly where, but there was a chapel built right into a mountain. Phoenix also has some sort of Wild West museum that was fun. I remember riding in a stage coach...

I know I should put in a plug for my city. I do LOVE Chicago. We have Navy Pier, Lake Michigan, museums, Lincoln Park Zoo (and Brookfield Zoo isn't far away...), Second City, The building formerly known as The Sears Tower, etc..., but there is no guarantee that the weather will be warm enough to meet your criteria, even in July. Most of the time, we have a pretty hot July and August, but last year was very mild. One never knows around here.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    I'd skip Sedona and go to Gerome. So much more interesting.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Are there any particular American events where the whole country is involved in something/days off where I could get involved and enjoy the culture?

Check out local county and state fairs or the Professional Rodeo/bullriding circuit. Most places here participate it both to some extent, usually in late summer (August-September). There are also various local festivals, especially in the more remote suburbs and rural areas.

They're not necessarily national, but you'll get a good taste of the culture.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    You could hit up Northern California (rather than someplace like San Diego or L.A.)...It's expensive for a reason...very beautiful, nice ppl, lots to do...i think most ppl go to places like New York City or Florida or California because...those are considered some of the most desirable places (maybe in the world)...so just because a lot of people go to those places doesn't make them bad...its for a reason ^_^

But for places ppl don't usually go...hmmm...maybe Seattle, Washington or New Mexico (hot springs and its beautiful)

I think people will like ur accent no matter where you go though haha ^_^ good luck!
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Are there any particular American events where the whole country is involved in something/days off where I could get involved and enjoy the culture?
    Sure! The 4th of July. Oh wait...sorry.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH

Lots of Friendly People

This is a good suggestion. It's not too touristy, but has a lot to do. I haven't spent a whole lot of time there but I always found the people friendly and it's a beautiful place.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH

Lots of Friendly People

That sounds like juuuust what I'm looking for. I like a friendly community that's quite close knit. I like my little eateries and shops, I'm not a supermarket person I like my little quirky places + the beach sounds awesome! I'll have to do some research!

My Dad went to Texas about 10 years ago and loved every minute of it. I'd love to go cycling round somewhere and do a lot of running too so if there's good scenery that's a bonus!

Oh and plus it has to be hot so I can take my shirt off etc, all this hard work hasn't been for nothing haha! Ripped & British Accent = win?

If you go the Charleston route, you could also meander your way down to Savannah, Georgia. It's about 2 hours away, so it makes for a nice day trip. Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach are also in close proximity to Charleston, as well.

i second the charleston/savannah route. nice places, plenty to do, great scenery, and of course, southern hospitality.
  • bobbin1
    Options
    I second the person that said come to Canada instead.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

LMAO!!!

but slayor, in all seriousness, if you come during the 4th of july, you'll love it, however you need to be warned that its not a crazy party in the streets of most cities. many people are in the backyards enjoying cook outs, but you could go to the beach, where you will find plenty of people, and vendors selling food, and stay late enough and i'm sure you will find some fireworks.

however, being from new york city, i just have to say it is called the greatest city on earth for a reason. if you change your mind, let me know. i love this city, and with my help, you won't get the typical tourist visit. and if you are here on may fifth, well, that is Cinco de Mayo, a mexican day of celebration that many people in the country use as an excuse to drink margaritas before noon. its also when a bunch of local MFP people are meeting in manhattan for drinks!

but my second favorite city is new orleans. a city very rich in some many different cultures. Jazzfest is from aprill 27 to may 6th, and will be an amazing time filled with good food and excellent music.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Oh hellz no!!! I love Corona!
  • brett1117
    Options
    Fenway park to see Boston Redsox game....fantastic atmosphere
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin has:

Lots of beautiful lakes
    some great microbreweries (New Glarus, Chippewa Falls, Capital Brewery to name a few)
    Beautiful bendy/hilly roads just perfect for motorcycling if you're into it
    cows! :laugh:
    Yummy bratwurst
    Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers. Great fun for a game or even just to tour.