• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    socaaaaaaaaaaaaal
    go surfing to malibu
  • Kryontz
    Kryontz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Central Illinois......corn fields as far as the eye can see!
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Charleston, South Carolina

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH
    The Market/lots of little eateries and shops

Lots of Friendly People

Wonderful Hotels Downtown

I second this! I love Charleston. However, I might recommend actually staying on one of the outlying islands. We rent a beach house on Folly Beach every summer. GREAT little town...mostly locals.....right on the beach...AND only about a 10 minute drive into Charleston.

Endless Possi:tongue: iblities for Fun! =)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    California! Cause us Cali people are awesome. :)
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much time you have, I would recommend visiting multiple places. The United States are so diverse and each region is not unlike being in a different country. A great mix would include the following:
    - Charleston, SC (for all the reasons mentioned above)
    - Austin, TX (great people, great music)
    - San Diego, CA (awesome weather, surfing)
    - Las Vegas, NV (you know why)
    - Chicago, IL (The best large city in America, diverse population, great food)
    - Boston, MA (history, nightlife)

I'd spend about 3 - 5 days in each location.
    Great list. I would also add Savannah, GA if it hasent been mentioned already.
    If you decide on Chicago I can always suggest a few places for you :)
  • Luvlee85
    Luvlee85 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Charleston, South Carolina

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH
    The Market/lots of little eateries and shops

Lots of Friendly People

Wonderful Hotels Downtown

Endless Possi:tongue: iblities for Fun! =)

That sounds like juuuust what I'm looking for. I like a friendly community that's quite close knit. I like my little eateries and shops, I'm not a supermarket person I like my little quirky places + the beach sounds awesome! I'll have to do some research!

My Dad went to Texas about 10 years ago and loved every minute of it. I'd love to go cycling round somewhere and do a lot of running too so if there's good scenery that's a bonus!

Oh and plus it has to be hot so I can take my shirt off etc, all this hard work hasn't been for nothing haha! Ripped & British Accent = win?

<3, love the Ripped and British accent part!!!!
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    Dude, anywhere you go, just jump in the cab and ask the driver for the "red light district".
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Depending on the time of year - Boston is lovely in the summer (and has 4 seasons unlike many places...THE SOUTH, ugh). A lot of good local breweries, Red Sox, beaches, what more could you want? It's also ridiculously accessible via the T and walkable, so no car rental needed!

Other than that, San Diego is lovely as well. Beaches and the like, but not sure it's as easy to get around as Boston or the major hub ciites. I was only there for a work conference and I had a car, so can't speak to that.

Charleston is the 5th circle of hell. Sure it has beaches, but the culture leaves a lot to be desired, the humidity is atrocious nearly year round and you really would not enjoy it in the summer here. As someone who moved here last year, I say STAY AWAY and Savannah, yeah not much there really either.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think the Charleston thing sounds like a great vacation. Btw, i cannot imagine you going anywhere in America that someone wouldn't fawn over your accent. We eat accents up! ;)
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    Are there any particular American events where the whole country is involved in something/days off where I could get involved and enjoy the culture?
    Sure! The 4th of July. Oh wait...sorry.
    I LMAO
  • dancingjr
    Options
    western North Carolina . mountains like granfather mountain near ashville. great area lots of great hiking. or grand canyon.

Second this.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been to California twice and I love it! Planning to go for higher studies in there, next year! And since it's sort of multi-cultural, you will fit in no time!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am partial to the Smokey Mountains/Gatlinburg (Pigeon Forge) area. We always rent a cabin with our own personal hot tub and such. There is so much to see in the Smokey Mountains and the hiking is great if you're into that. We've never used them, but I'm pretty sure there are bike trails as well.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You could also do Chicago, Illinois (some nice museums, aquariums and whatnot), the greater Cleveland, Akron/Canton, and Columbus, Ohio areas (science museums, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, pro football hall of fame, Amish country, Cedar Point, and the various markets and other little stuff that are around). Portland, Oregon is a nice place, from what I hear from my friends that live there. You'll want to hit all of them up in the summer, though.

Other than the heat factor I'd second Columbus...I went to college there and Love Love LOVE every second of it. There's so much diversity and energy in the city it's awesome. Chicago is also amazing, except for, like said above, the heat factor. One of my favorite non-florida warm places I've visited is New Orleans. Loved the atmosphere and culture
  • Luvlee85
    Luvlee85 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much time you have, I would recommend visiting multiple places. The United States are so diverse and each region is not unlike being in a different country. A great mix would include the following:
    - Charleston, SC (for all the reasons mentioned above)
    - Austin, TX (great people, great music)
    - San Diego, CA (awesome weather, surfing)
    - Las Vegas, NV (you know why)
    - Chicago, IL (The best large city in America, diverse population, great food)
    - Boston, MA (history, nightlife)

I'd spend about 3 - 5 days in each location.
    Great list. I would also add Savannah, GA if it hasent been mentioned already.
    If you decide on Chicago I can always suggest a few places for you :)

Ohh how I love Savannah, I stay 8 hrs away and love every trip I can take there!!!
  • rockrosie
    rockrosie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to live in South Carolina for 7 years and I would recommend Charleston, as well. But you may need a car to get around most of the time- the downtown is pretty close but if you want to get out to the beaches or see some historic plantations you'll need transportation.

Also, Savannah, Georgia is awesome, same ideas: beaches, history, fun!

Go in the spring- May and early June, or it will be too hot for your tender British skin!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    How about Texas? You could do Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin (and hill country) and then down to San Antonio. Each has its own unique flair, but are all very Texan. Warning that you would probably want to go in spring or late fall otherwise it might be ridiculously hot.

You skipped Houston. Damn you, damn you to hell.
    Actually Houston has the Menil, thank you very much Renzo Piano and the Cullinan Hall/Brown Pavilion by Mies Van de Rohe. Take that Kimball Museum and Tadao Ando's Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.

Oddly enough, a majority of the Houstonian population have never been to the Menil nor do they know who Renzo Piano is, fools!
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I've travelled every state in the US. I;m Canadian, I found San Diego so friendly, the friendliest place i've visited aside from Florida and Georgia. And San Diego was the most beautiful place that I found that had sooo much to do,...quirky shops and high end retail, the ocean, I was there in September, 6 weddings on the beach, we were even invited to dine with them!! , the seals sunning on the rocks....amazing! dinning is incredible, from small mom and pop amazing breakfast places to fini dining, history incredible, soooo much to do, just walking around and looking at the million dollar homes is a day. Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo.....it's a very clean city. very well taken care of, from the grass being maintained to flower beds everywhere, absolutely fell in love with San diego. The Gaslamp Quarter is the historic heart of San Diego, historica downtown San Diego, great for dining, nightcluns, shops and people watching. The weather is always almost perfect any time of the year as well.

Just my two cents as a frequent traveller, I loved San Diego, I could honestly move there!!! lol and at some point you definitely have to visit my playground!! Toronto, Canada..AMAZING!
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have to put a plug in for my state! You are not going to get city life here, maybe a little if you make it to my town (Missoula, MT) but if you enjoy outdoor activities and want to see some beautiful scenery... you cannot beat Montana in the summer.

Visit Yellowstone National Park and you will see : hot springs, geysers, Elk, Bison, wolfs and more!
    yellowstonee.jpg

Then make your way to Flathead lake... for boating, fishing, swimming... kayaking, paddle boarding you name it!
    4594_1279035009_5rLF6_md.jpg

Then the best... Glacier National Park: Go whitewater rafting, hiking, camping, horseback ridding ...
    GlacierWildernessGuides_452x180.jpg

400px-St_Mary_Lake.jpg

If it is city life you are looking for... you cannot beat NYC! Chicago is fun as well... California is beautiful...

But if you want adventure... you need to make your way to the North West! :) Cheers!
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Come check out Nashville Tennessee. We have history, sports, music, art, awesome bars, beautiful parks, great food, and good old fashioned southern charm!