How much is cost of living in your area?

Options
1235»

Replies

• mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Here in Vancouver a 1 bedroom apartment will be at least $1000, a house will be a million dollars (or much more!), and I have no clue how I will make it here... I refuse to move away though, so one way or another, it will happen!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, people live where they want to live.

Or where the military tells them to live. :laugh:

Currently living in San Diego. It's pricey, crowded and I can't wait until we can leave.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    The cost of living index in my hometown is 154

Right now Iive in Southern Japan...despite the extremely low value of the dollar, I still find it quite affordable...

I think if you only allow yourself to live in nice (thus usually expensive) places, it will simply change your perspective of what is cheap and what isn't...things will work out from there (^.^)
  • burstchair
    Options
    Price of living is fairly cheap here in Alabama.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Virginia Beach... less than $30k a year... roommates to afford $1045 rent in 2 bedroom, plus electric and gas... phone, credit cards and student loans too... it's tough...

I lived in Cliffside Park , NJ once and found a studio for $525... what was killing me was the $ spent on commuting to work in NY.

It depends on where you want to live in this area. I collect the information for the Cost of Living index for our area and we are actually in good shape here. You live at Town Center by choice, it is much more expensive.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I live in the Charleston area and rent is $950 (utilities not included) for my 660 square foot apartment. I pay more than most for rent, but I refuse to live in a dodgy area. I also make more than the median income for a family unit in the town I live in as a single woman, so I am okay with paying a higher rent and can afford it.

It amazes me Charleston is so expensive. I always think I'll move there when I am priced out of the Bay Area, but downtown Charleston real estate is the same price as it is here!

Oh God, DON'T move here. I just moved here last summer and I'm trying to get the hell out. Was looking at living in downtown, but the places were just not good quality and the rent you pay for some of the places was absurd for what you got, plus there is/was a crazy arsonist randomly burning down apartments downtown when I was looking, so that was a big deterrent as well. I live over the bridge in Mt. Pleasant, mostly because it's safer, nicer and a very active community. But I'm from Boston, I love the Northeast and the Southeast just does not do it for me. And don't get me started on "Southern Hospitality" ;)

But would you suggest Charleston as a place to visit? Spending some time down in the area and was thinking of doing a weekend in Charleston soon.

Visit? Sure. But I'd personally choose Hilton Head/Hilton Head Island over Charleston.
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm in SC. Compared to a lot of places I would say SC is reasonable. Of course it can be more in the main cities -- Charleston, Greenville, Columbia -- but still reasonable. I live in a small town in the Pee Dee area. I rent a new house -- 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage. Rent is 675. That's a lot cheaper than when I rented an apt./condo in a somewhat bigger city. Plus I'm only 1 mile from work!!

As for buying a house -- I watch those house hunter type shows on tv. My friend and her husband had a really nice brick house built 3 bed, 3 bath, office, garage - the works. It was under 200,000. Most places shown on those tv shows that house would have gone for well over 400,000 easy. I don't think I'd ever leave SC pretty much for that reason -- it is cheaper.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Right outside of Boston you'll pay about $1000 a month for a one bedroom. The average cost for a home in this area is about 300K and that is for a 50 year old ranch and needs major updating.

Not sure how I do it on a waitress salary but I make it work. We live frugally and don't have expensive "extras". We have pay as you go cell phones, still have dial-up internet at home (gasp), have basic cable with a few extras like HGTV and only take one vacation a year.

I think the average income in my area is about 50K per person. I'm below that but my husband is above. I don't even want to tell you what we pay for a morgage. Bleh!!!

The average Boston salary is around 43,000. My husband and I are both over. Back in 2009 I rents were about 1300 a month right in the city for a 1 bedroom apartment (about 550-600 squ feet)... cheaper as you got further away or in less desirable areas. A 2 bedroom was almost double in some areas - most in excess of 2k in the good city locations for a SMALL 2 bedroom with no storage or parking.

If I were to rent out my 2 bedroom condo which is about 4-5 miles from the city, I could probably get 1300 - 1500 a month.
    Instead I decided to sell.... still waiting LOL

My husband and I rent a 3 bedroom house with a small fenced yard, driveway in a great neighborhood under 10 miles outside the city for 2k a month. That's the difference - in the city - or out. We're still close enough to public transportation (good ole T) for a fairly easy commute.

Of course, I would rather live directly in the city but then we'd be broke and have no where to put all our *kitten*!! These are the choices we all make.

Boston, MA cost of living is 154.10
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I live in Central Wisconsin in the poorest county in the state (Adams Co.) Average 1 bedroom here is $400 while the average income about $20,000 but over half the county is out of work. I own but that means nothing any more. My home value has dropped about 10 grand in the last few years and could not even sell it for what we paid for it now.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    The cost of living in the Metro DC area is horrible. Our average household salary is 100K because of the military base. Now in reality most people aren't even close to that.

I pay 1405 a month for rent and I keep my utlities low. Basic cable, internet and keep my heat low.

I do make a very good salary so it is doable. However, when I made not a good salary, I worked two or 3 jobs.
  • elcyclista
    Options
    In southern Cali? A leg and an arm.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Orange County here.. I moved here from Michigan..(where you can buy a 3 bedroom house for a lot less than my BF and I pay for our 1 bedroom 801 sq foot apartment in Orange County - 1300 a month and we do have a nice pool and hot tub and gym included in the rent). I love the weather, the ocean, and the great fruit and veggies year round. We spend about 100 bucks a week on groceries.

I graduated from college at 43 with a 3.71 GPA Magna Cum Laude and I am unemployed. Steve is the breadwinner coming in at about 50,000 a year (before taxes!) He has work in Mortgage Refinancing (back at work after 3 years laid off, and 2 years as a temp at the same company...) We usually have about 250 dollars a paycheck ( twice a month) after expenses...(not including food or anything like that)... we have one car, that's paid off... and I have a zillion insurmountable dollars in Student loans which are half deferred (gathering interest) while I look for work...its VERY tight, and while we have a great deal (phones, cable, food on the table) its so hard... I have not bought clothing in over 3 years!!! (I always get clothing as gifts!)

Once I find work, we should be just fine (oh PLEASE LORD!)...

anyone looking for someone in Graphics Communications or Marketing?! =)

RobinPickles
  • taranj21
    taranj21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    jersey shore---toms river
    outrageous expensive here
    $250k 1200 sq ft 3 bedroom/1 bath home ($2200 mortgage payment)
    $560 month nursery school for 3 year old
    $550 car payment
    $300 month car/life ins
    $350 gas/elec/water
    $300 cable/phone/cell bill
    gas is about $3.40 gallon here
    $215 daughters dance & gymnastics classes monthly

income just under $100k for the both of us, its TIGHT!!!
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That's something else that just floors me about some places. I have a friend in the Boston area paying 1k a month for preschool. We pay 180 a month for a very highly rated private preschool. When he starts K next year it goes to 364 a month. Still a long ways from 500-1000.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's high. We live in the DC/Baltimore Metro area. We make a combined of $100K and bought the absolutely CHEAPEST house available after looking for 6 months. We have no debt except mortgage and we still struggle, as in I had to pull my son out of private pre-K because it just wasn't working out budget-wise. It doesn't help that we pay $650 a month in JUST in GAS, either - I commute 120 miles a day, my husband does 75 miles a day. But that's where the jobs are.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    Detroit area, it's inexpensive. Of course the police, fire, ambulance, roads and schools in the city reflect that.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm in Northern California....and its $$$$ but I wouldn't leave. Cali born and raised.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, that those high cost metros (NYC and SF) are also where A LOT of very high paying jobs are. High cost areas also have pretty brutal commutes. Some people like the rat race, some don't.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    When I was living in Toronto my rent was $1950 for a 3 bedroom town home +bills. The average family income there is $92,453. I moved to Niagara Falls and my mortgage now is is just under $1800. Almost the same but this is a 5 bedroom in a relatively new home and at least it's mine. I'm not sure the average cost of living here. Probably slightly higher as there is a lot of tourism here. But when I look at the price of groceries, I can guess some people have a hard time getting by. A loaf of bread if almost $4. My mom said when I was a child it was under $1. Also here in Canada car insurance is mandatory. And again just another expense that sucks people dry.