Caffeine! Weight loss resistance. Any experiences?

Options
13»

Replies

• jonnyhart13
    Options
    I haven't noticed much in the weight loss category (3 lbs.), but have been trimming inches and feeling all around much better in the last 40 days! I completely cut out soda for the first time in my life. And have cut my coffee to one cup a day. Someone else mentioned that the amount of coffee is not necessarily the issue, but i do want to snack LESS because the multiple cups a day was making me crave a cookie, or a pastry, or something awful for me that i almost always used to pair with my coffee!
    Good luck to you!
  • jerrytball
    Options
    As with you, I am same, more inches come off then pounds, I never go by poundage, if i pump iron all week, I am up over 255 but still wearing 38's comfortably, here's my thought process. Your chest is 52, your waist 40 at the belly button, your 6 ' 250, you should not be considered fat, over weight or whatever, if you are that big, can run 3 miles a day, walk 2 miles later, work out on top of that, low BP, your in shape, just a big person, heck Pro bodybuilders in the heavy weight Div. have a gut on them, yeah, 6 pack, but with a t-shirt on, they look like any other guy with a gut, just the way you feel. if huffing puffing, tying your shoes, your out of shape, so worry about the inches more than pounds especially if you do weights.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My assumption is not the straight caffeine amount you are consuming, but the sugar/cream or whatever you may have in it!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!

When most people say "coffee" they don't mean black coffee. They mean coffee with cream and sugar...and who knows what else.

Yes, I do frequent Starbucks for coffee drinks, but I a) get "skinny" whenever possible (hooray for skinny peppermint mochas!!!!) and b) build those calories in. I also regularly go way over on my water just because it's what I'm used to..
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My assumption is not the straight caffeine amount you are consuming, but the sugar/cream or whatever you may have in it!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!

When most people say "coffee" they don't mean black coffee. They mean coffee with cream and sugar...and who knows what else.

Yes, I do frequent Starbucks for coffee drinks, but I a) get "skinny" whenever possible (hooray for skinny peppermint mochas!!!!) and b) build those calories in. I also regularly go way over on my water just because it's what I'm used to..

Well, not really. I stated in this thread four times that I drink black coffee..no sugar, no cream...maybe a lemon rind in espresso.

I absolutely and 100% agree that if you put any sugar in your mouth you will get fat. PERIOD. I don't use any sugar and my fruits are limited to a select few.

I apologize for posting this. I went to the store today to buy decaf coffee and I just couldn't do it. It upset my sensibilities too much. I guess cutting down and getting rid of diet soda is where I'm at.

For those who asked me about the references to the decaf; it was in livingstrong.com. I can't seem to find the link. It's buried n my history somewhere on my computer.
  • maggiemae2005
    maggiemae2005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i stopped drinking caffine and within a month lost 10 pounds! i drink a lot of diet pepsi and coffee so sutting it out helped a lot! it is best to ween yourslef off of it cause the headaches are brutall! good luck to you!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Well, not really. I stated in this thread four times that I drink black coffee..no sugar, no cream...maybe a lemon rind in espresso.

I absolutely and 100% agree that if you put any sugar in your mouth you will get fat. PERIOD. I don't use any sugar and my fruits are limited to a select few.

Before you make any more ridiculous statements i'd suggest doing a bit more research.

As for getting back on topic, this has a wealth of information on the subject of coffee, weight loss, insulin etc

Coffee, diabetes, and weight control
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 84, No. 4, 682-693
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/84/4/682.full

Here's Layne Norton, Will Brink, Jamie Hale and Alan Aragon on the same subject
    L Norton: While acute caffeine ingestion may impair glucose tolerance, studies suggest that long term caffeine ingestion actually lowers the risk of developing type II diabetes(1). In my opinion there is probably not enough information at this point to say definitively one way or the other, but I believe caffeine is fine in moderation, much like many other compounds, if you don't abuse it there is little to worry about.

W Brink: As far as I am concerned, there is no sunshine without coffee! Kidding aside, it's essential to separate an effect seen in the lab and the larger picture. Insulin is an essential hormone in the pathogenesis of various afflictions. It's also a hormone we can't live with out, and there is not a direct insulin spike = terrible things happen equation, no matter how hard people attempt to paint insulin as the mother of bad guy hormones. Do we see a correlation between coffee and obesity? No. In fact, a study I was just reading found decreased rates of type 2 diabetes in men who drank coffee. If coffee had a negative effect on whole body glucose metabolism, that is it elevated insulin for long periods of time, or decreased insulin sensitivity to a great degree, or what have you, we would not see this reduced risk of type 2 and coffee consumption. If anything, it appears to have positive effects on glucose metabolism. There are several studies that suggest coffee reduces the rates of metabolic syndrome, which is yet more proof that it's far too over simplistic to paint coffee as a negative due to one outcome, in this case affects on insulin. There have also been a bunch of other potential benefits to coffee drinking, so as usual, it's about balance and common sense. A few cups of coffee per day are fine, 10 cups a day, probably not such a good idea. It's also possible that coffee may be contra indicated for some populations, but perfectly fine for the majority of people.

J Hale: I am assuming you are referring to caffeinated coffee. Caffeine increases the release of catecholamines (adrenaline, nor-adrenaline, dopamine). Adrenaline hormones increase FFA mobilization from fat cells. Dopamine increases feelings of pleasure and well being. Increased FFA blood levels due to high concentrations of adrenaline hormones induce insulin resistance. The effect is generally short term. The severity varies among individuals. We have to ask ourselves is insulin resistance a bad thing? Not always just depends. Fat cell insulin resistance means insulin can’t inhibit fat breakdown or promote nutrient storage in fat cell. Muscle cell resistance means the muscle cell can’t uptake glucose therefore it use an alternative source of fuel FFAs. The glucose is utilized by the brain and nervous system and other tissues that need it. During times of dieting and low carbs insulin resistance is not necessarily a bad thing. When eating excess calories it generally is a bad thing. With that being said athletes have used coffee for years as a performance enhancer. Endurance athletes often ingest coffee because of its benefits on fat metabolism. Some studies suggest coffee may actually reduce chance of developing type 2 diabetes. Coffee contains other substances which have also shown health benefits. I recommend coffee if your body can handle it. Some people get the shakes and just can’t seem to handle the CNS boost. There is also a big difference between drinking 2 cups of coffee and 10. Moderation is probably the key to enhancing performance and preventing any negative health consequences.

A Aragon: I’m a coffee lover, so I’ll defend it with all my might, research be damned!! But seriously, all you can do in this instance is take a hard look at the data. The anti-coffee camp says that coffee consumption contributes to insulin resistance. This is a classic case of focusing on acute effects while disregarding what really matters – the chronic effects, along with a few critical details. This is also a case of context-confusion. Most of the work leading to this conclusion is based on obese folks using isolated alkaloidal caffeine, not coffee. So, to begin with, that pretty much takes most athletes out of the picture, who use caffeine for ergogenic purposes. They use it to increase exercise capacity, which inherently improves insulin metabolism, so pretty much the issue ends right there. But we’re unrepentant nerds here, so we can still look at the data. Caffeine acutely raises insulin response when applied to oral glucose tolerance tests. Okay, great.. Cocoa raises insulin response when coingested with other foods, but long-term cocoa use also appears to improve insulin sensitivity. Rewind back to coffee. Coffee’s acute insulinogenic nature doesn’t have any negative impact when studies are carried out long-term. For example, Several epidemiologic studies found that ingestion of caffeinated (and decaffeinated) coffee may actually reduce the risk of diabetes compared with those who never drank coffee. In addition, coffee was recently seen to have a beneficial effect on endothelial function, which implies cardiovascular benefit. For those not impressed by the uncontrolled nature of epidemiologic studies, I challenge anyone to compile the controlled studies on caffeine and dish out the conclusion that moderate coffee consumption has negative effects on health markers.
  • Acg67
    Options
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just a general observation, and three's bound to be someone to correct it, but if caffeine contributes to slower weight loss, why do all the so called "wonder diet pills" on the market seem to have caffeine as their main ingredient?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Just a general observation, and three's bound to be someone to correct it, but if caffeine contributes to slower weight loss, why do all the so called "wonder diet pills" on the market seem to have caffeine as their main ingredient?

Because of studies like this

The effect of caffeine, green tea and tyrosine on thermogenesis and energy intake.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17882140

thermogenesis.gif
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options

The effect of caffeine, green tea and tyrosine on thermogenesis and energy intake.

thermogenesis.gif

What is your problem? I can find evidence to the contrary. You are insulting.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

thermogenesis.gif

Being a bit slow here (just for a change lol), thermogenesis sounds like it refers to thermodynamics and therefore the way calories are burned. So this chart shows that caffeine does speed up the metabolism?
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I consume about 6 - 8 cans of Diet Coke a day. Like you I was having a hard time losing weight but I was unwilling to give up my diet coke before I tried everything else. Through journalling and trial and error I discovered that my body could not handle wheat. I cut out wheat from my diet in December, still drink my diet coke, and have lost 23 pounds so far. I am not celiac, nor did the test for wheat intolerance come back positive, but the proof is in the pudding I think. For me, it works but I know everyone is different.

A good book on the subject is "Wheat Belly".
  • flipperflapper
    flipperflapper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I followed the food doctor diet and gave up caffeine and it worked for me last year- 36lb off that have stayed off. It seems to act as a stressor for a while and may burn calories but then is said to affect insulin and oestrogen. I have gone back to drinking coffee but only moderately. I am going to give it up again should my weight loss slow again. good luck