Taxes

Options
124»

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I was using TurboTax and it was going to cost almost my whole refund just to prepare and file with them. Noooo thank you. I work for a library foundation and I know that I can go into the library and get all the forms I need, as well as directions on how to fill them out myself. So I'm doing that this year, for the first time ever. But, I also don't have anything complicated.

If you make less than $31k you can use the "Freedom Edition" of TurboTax and file federal and state for free. That's what I do.

Mine is already spent. If it's not paying the rent, it's paying the medical bills.

Doh, I feel like a tard. We make about 27000... and I had no idea. Oh well.

Ours is all going towards my school tuition because I'm tired of paying for loans. :ohwell:

They don't advertise it well. You can also use it if you served in active military duty during the past year. I found out about it from my college the first year I paid taxes. It's a lifesaver since I usually only make $7K. Since I'm graduating, I'm hoping that changes...
  • LadyFaile
    Options
    If you go to http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html it lists several free options for filing your federal taxes. If you don't qualify for a free service, you can still do the free fillable forms (which do a bunch of the math for you) and e-file for free. Unfortunately for my state while I could use some online forms it doesn't do the math and e-filing isn't free. Sigh. Had to mail that one in.

I usually take out a small amount to use a splurge (something for the house, me, and/or the family) and then put the rest against debt. I look forward to the day when my mortgage is the only debt left and I can concentrate on savings.
  • fmurphy34
    Options
    Haha I have not even made that much this year to get any money back from taxes.