Friends and Lies...

Options
AwesomelyAmber
AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
I do not advocate looking for Dear Abby answers online. There is always far more to the story than can be written in a few paragraphs... But I just would like some opinions from people that don't know me, don't care if they offend me or champion me, and don't know the other ladies in question so there is no real bias. :flowerforyou:

I may ramble...

I have a friend that is friends with someone that I used to be friends with. The best of friends. Recently the 'used to be' and I had an extreme falling out. Please understand that I am OK with this. It's sad and all but I have been able to move on with only minimal difficulty (so far). The friend in the middle was my friend first and became friends with the 'used to be' after years of attending parties, gatherings etc with me (so I did this to myself, kinda). Ultimately causing an extreme rift between me and the 'used to be'. The middle friend professes to be one of my best friends. Last night I asked her what she did this weekend and she said "Nothing. Just been really sick." I said, "All weekend? That is horrible, I'm sorry." (I was away with my mom and my son and hadn't talked to her all weekend long)

Today, I look on facebook to see what kind of stuff I missed (given that it is fb, I might have missed how many times someone went pee or washed the dishes:tongue: ) and find that there was a girls' night out with the 'used to be' and the 'middle girl' and a few others on Friday and the 'middle girl' HAD A SUPER GREAT TIME! Which is great, wonderful and fine... I truly could care less that they went out. What I care about is the fact that she LIED to me about her weekend and did so because she was with the other one. Ok, if I stretch it far enough it could be said that she WAS sick all weekend because she got sick on SATURDAY and FRIDAY isn't technically the weekend. Yeah right. :huh:

So before I take it to 'middle girl' and say "WTF?", what do you think (given that you know that little snippet and nothing else really) is it a lie told to keep my feelings from being hurt or left out? Or does it really matter WHY the lie was told in the first place? I am not looking to be played a fool in this. I also saw that on Thursday the 'middle girl' brought flowers to the 'used to be' at work :huh: THANKS AGAIN FACEBOOK! (I have no idea if there was a death, sickness, or other reason but it was a BIG bouquet) These two live close to each other, I am roughly 30 miles north and we only talk on the phone (daily, but still we don't see each other EVER). Maybe it's time to let it all go, focus on me, and my friends that don't need to hide from me what they do or who they hang out with?

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I think you're overreacting.
    -wtk
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    She was probably just trying to spare your feelings. I wouldn't approach her all angry because you'll sound bitter. Just nicely tell her that its completely fine that she hang out with your former friend and she should never feel the need to lie to protect your feelings. She's caught in the middle.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    She was probably just trying to spare your feelings. I wouldn't approach her all angry because you'll sound bitter. Just nicely tell her that its completely fine that she hang out with your former friend and she should never feel the need to lie to protect your feelings. She's caught in the middle.

I think you are right. Right after I clicked "post" and read it, I had the same reaction in my head. Felt nice to get it all out though, thank you :flowerforyou:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I totally understand if a friend lies to spare someone's feelings, but I don't tolerate when someone lies just to make themselves look good or to stir up drama.

Oh and this is one of the many reasons I ditched facebook. We had a problem where somebody found out we were expecting on facebook, and was offended that others knew about it prior to the facebook posting. I hate facebook.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You have to understand that your "middle"friend is in a weird situation, she is trying to keep peace with her friends and not let your falling out with "used to be" effect her and her friendship with both of you. Don't read too much into it and stop checking facebook (for your sanity).
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I think you are right. Right after I clicked "post" and read it, I had the same reaction in my head. Felt nice to get it all out though, thank you :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

Sometimes we just need to vent. Writing/typing is a great way to do just that. :flowerforyou:
  • Katefab26
    Options
    That happened to me once. My friend told me she didn't go anywhere all weekend because of the snow, and then I saw on facebook that she went to NYC with another girl who was mad at me. It hurt, but then I realized she was just trying to spare my feelings. I got over it.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options

This.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    You have to understand that your "middle"friend is in a weird situation, she is trying to keep peace with her friends and not let your falling out with "used to be" effect her and her friendship with both of you. Don't read too much into it and stop checking facebook (for your sanity).

:wink: I don't want it to seem like I was facebook stalking :laugh: I was just going through my news feed and my close friends' pages... I SWEAR I am not one of 'those'
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Have you checked his/her text messages?
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I am in a very similar situation and I am the "middle girl." Be easy on her. I don't want to have to give up one friendship for another because of a falling out that didn't involve me.

At the same time, lying is not necessary. Honesty is the best policy. Tell her you aren't bothered if she spends time with the other girl. It sounds like there was a time you liked spending time with her too.

I know its a sticky situation and I wish you the best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    Have you checked his/her text messages?

:laugh: with a screen name like AlbertPooHoles, I would expect nothing less:laugh: Maybe next time. :bigsmile:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yes. just tell your friend the LYING is the thing. Then if it continues, re-evaluate the friendship.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    I am in a very similar situation and I am the "middle girl." Be easy on her. I don't want to have to give up one friendship for another because of a falling out that didn't involve me.

At the same time, lying is not necessary. Honesty is the best policy. Tell her you aren't bothered if she spends time with the other girl. It sounds like there was a time you liked spending time with her too.

I know its a sticky situation and I wish you the best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    My feelings would be hurt, but the truth is, it sucks to be the middle girl. If she has heard both sides of the break-up between you and your used-to-be, she is probably in an awkward place and just wants to have fun without upsetting anyone. It's like the kid whose parents are divorced. He doesn't come home from a weekend at Dad's talking about how much fun he had and the cool things he did with his Dad and his Dad's new girlfriend. :wink: Hope you and your buddy move past it!
  • Rachelnicole1969
    Options
    Like you, it's not the problem that she went out. It's the fact that she lied to you. That is NOT COOL and definitely not good for a friendship. My thoughts and what I'd do - tell her you saw it, and you are not made she and the "used to be" went out and had fun, but you have an issue with being lied to. If she will lie to you about something as trivial as what she did, what other lies will she tell? But this is just me. GOOD LUCK!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I think you're overreacting.
    -wtk

Love you girl, but I'm going with this. If she wanted to lie, then just don't consider her one of your close friends. Cut your losses and move on.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation back when I got divorced... After over 10 years of friendship girlfriend A sided with my X and my best friend B was sort of caught in the middle - not so much as who she chose (me) but that she still talked to and occasionally hung out with A. I also moved out of the immediate area so they live close together and I'm about 30 miles out. I was friends with A but never "best" friends. I was friends with A before B and we all became mutual friends as the years past prior to my divorce.

I handled it by telling B outright when the situation occurred: I don't mind or care that she still hangs out with A. After all, they were friends too and I didn't expect her to cut off friendships because I did. I told her just not to discuss me with A because I didn't trust A and it was none of A's business what I was doing. We both agreed to that and have maintained our friendship in the years since - still strong as ever. She has never lied to me about dealing with A because she knew from day 1 she didn't have to, and I made it comfortable for her to talk about it. I don't bash A. If she tells me about something A has done or is doing that makes her happy I say good for her even though I don't really care lol :yawn:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    I didn't think I would be, but I am truly glad that I posted this topic. I appreciate all of you! That includes the smart alecks too! :heart:
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options

^^ I was thinking the same :)