Massive stomach pains!

Options

Replies

• SandyMilton
    Options
    All I can recommend is from someone that's been there, done that, with both the appendix and the gall bladder. If you are doubled in pain and you simply can't stand it anymore, have someone take you to the ER. They will at least make sure nothing has burst, and will give you some feel good medication and tell you to make an appt with your doc.

Also, just to note, my son started having stomach pains yesterday in his lower (center) abdomen. The pain would come in waves, he'd wake me in the night from the moaning, then I'd hear him cursing, as he'd stumble his way over to the bathroom. Kept me up nearly all night just listining to him. Poor guy just wanted to sleep. There is a stomach bug that will affect you like that - hits you for a nasty for about 48 hours. I told him to call me if the pain gets worse and I'll take him into the doc, but if it's the same as it has been, lets let it ride the course.
  • paleojamie
    Options
    I agree with everyone., see a doctor.
    Hope its not your gallbladder, if so. no biggy living without one.. been gallbladder free for 4 years.
    And no one knows your body better than you, so I hope your doctor will be able to get you pain free soon.

I really appreicate everyone's kindness on here :)

So awesome everyone!
  • paleojamie
    Options
    ************ Update **************

Very little pain this morning so far

Seriously I got the more expensive oats and it seems better today!

Does anyone here think it could have been the oats?

It's early yet though the pain might get worse!

The docs cant see me for a week yet .. uni doctor service is very busy!
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I was getting stomach pains a while ago and really bloated, and eventually put it down to eating bran flakes and sultana bran! I think it is a bit IBS-like. Once I stopped eating them the stomach pains and bloating disappeared. So it could well be related to what you're eating and how much/what type of fibre. but i would probably go to the doctor to check anyway.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Your doctor will have an emergency service. If not, go to A&E, or at least phone NHS Direct. Gallstones or appendicitis are not good things to leave!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ************ Update **************

Very little pain this morning so far

Seriously I got the more expensive oats and it seems better today!

Does anyone here think it could have been the oats?

It's early yet though the pain might get worse!

The docs cant see me for a week yet .. uni doctor service is very busy!

I suppose anything is possible, so it could be the oats.

It could also be small martians nesting in your stomach.

But more sensibly, it's almost certainly neither of them. Seriously, go see your doctor.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Your doctor will have an emergency service. If not, go to A&E, or at least phone NHS Direct. Gallstones or appendicitis are not good things to leave!

^^^^^^^
    THIS!

Do not let someone else's schedule dictate your health!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    This sounds exactly like when my appendix ruptured, and when I was having gall bladder attacks. See your doctor ASAP! Digestive tract disorders and diseases like appendicitis and whatever the name is for the inflamed gall bladder can be life threatening. I'm personally lucky to be alive after the appendicitis.
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The gallbladder is used to digest fatty foods. If your pain is worse after fatty foods, it may be your gallbladder. You may be having gas pains from the extra fiber in your diet or pain from an inflamed appendix. Either way, if you are concerned and your pain is persistent, go ahead and see your doctor. Better safe than sorry. It is also better to catch an inflamed organ before it ruptures and you become septic. Please see your doc.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The gallbladder is used to digest fatty foods. If your pain is worse after fatty foods, it may be your gallbladder. You may be having gas pains from the extra fiber in your diet or pain from an inflamed appendix. Either way, if you are concerned and your pain is persistent, go ahead and see your doctor. Better safe than sorry. It is also better to catch an inflamed organ before it ruptures and you become septic. Please see your doc.

^^^^^
    actual medical advice kiddo. See a doctor!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You should be able to make an appointment within 24 hours. Call them back.

When you say "stomach" pain- whereabouts do you mean? Upper abdomen? Left or right or middle? Upper right can be gallbladder, lower right appendix.
  • paleojamie
    Options
    You should be able to make an appointment within 24 hours. Call them back.

When you say "stomach" pain- whereabouts do you mean? Upper abdomen? Left or right or middle? Upper right can be gallbladder, lower right appendix.

seems to just mainly be on the left and centre
  • paleojamie
    Options
    ***update 2***

Soonest appointment I can get for the docs is next friday ... I asked about emergency but not much was said
  • BerryH
    Options
    Phone NHS Direct then, and they'll advise whether you should go to ER or will give you details of a doctor that actually has an emergency service if required. If nothing else it will set your mind at rest.
  • paleojamie
    Options
    Phone NHS Direct then, and they'll advise whether you should go to ER or will give you details of a doctor that actually has an emergency service if required. If nothing else it will set your mind at rest.

weirdly I dont actually have access to a phone
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Get thee to ER if it is that bad and you can't see a doctor for a regular appointment.
  • carramel0705
    carramel0705 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    could also be bowel related , see a DR . Before pain gets any worse
  • paleojamie
    Options
    Get thee to ER if it is that bad and you can't see a doctor for a regular appointment.

this is the thing that is confusing to me .. i'm not feeling pain at the moment ... it's on and off ..
  • BerryH
    Options
    Ah, you're in labour then.
  • paleojamie
    Options
    Ah, you're in labour then.

lol :)

really sorta worried now

got a feeling the doc will just say muscle pain