Worst book you had ever read?

Options

Replies

• Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Twilight Ugh worst series every badly written with a poor message. I have yet to understand why " OMG my boyfriend left me now I'm gonna do stupid **** til I get his attention is suppossed to be a love story . What a message for young girls

This.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I mostly read true crime but for a change i decided to read my first Stephen King book "IT" im down to my last 100 pages finally.. I might read another one of his not sure yet. Im like the above poster though if im not captivated early on I toss it. Great post though Id like to see what NOT to read.

All I can say is I hope you don't end up with the same feelings on King that I have. Love his books. Hate his endings.

I usually give up on a book if I'm not enjoying it too. My gf will read a book to the end in almost every case. She's hated her way through many.

The one I really should have loved but just could not get into was Confederacy of Dunces.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I very rarely don't finish a book. I will still finish it even if I am having to trudge through it. The two most recent I can think of are a standalone story Ghost by Piers Anthony and I love Anthony but that book confused me. So much metaphysical/time travel/paradox stuff I couldn't keep up and normally I devour SciFi.

The second one I can think of off the top of my head is ShadowFever by Karen Marie Moning. My ex-wife suggested I read the series cause she thought I would like it, it's a lot of paranormal and not much romance. I was hooked on the first 3 books and then the last book destroyed the entire series. I was disgusted when I finished reading it. She ruined the entire series in the final book. Ticked me off so bad. I don't now if it was "worst ever" but it was the only time I have been furious after reading a book.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    freakin' Johnny Tremain back in 5th grade!.. The whole class felt TORTURED!... To this day, we agree it was brutal!

That's it, that's the revolutionary war one I was talking about that!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    **double post**
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    anything written by Dan Brown.

*high five* I finished the DaVinci Code by sheer force of will, and a little stubbornness.
  • 1stStep100
    Options
    hahaha this is funny, because when i read the topic, the first thing i thought of was "precious' not because it was a bad book, but because of its poor grammar.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't read bad books. I do research first. I can't get into anything nonfiction. I love to read things that can't happen in real life because reading for me is escaping real life. I love reading but I know from the first few pages if I will like it or not or if it has good reviews I will read a little past that point. The Twilight series is a wonderful series and it is very well written....seems like ya'll don't remember what it is like to be young and in love. I'm only 23 but I remember how it feels to be so head over heels for someone that you would do anything for them or to get their attention. It's obviously a great book or it wouldn't be a best seller. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    @. I have tried numerous times and it just isn't happening. I also only read Shakespeare when I have to otherwise, I don't get what everyone is so excited about.
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Atonement, couldnt even make it through the first 50 pages... although i fear that i was not in the right mindset (vacationing in punta cana)... maybe ill give it another try
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I've always hated Stephen King books, but I love all of the movies made to his books! I know that's strange, because the book is always better than the movie, most people say. I found that to be true with every other book, but with S.K, I just can't stand his style of writing.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I know I'm gonna be alone on this one, but I am reading The Hunger Games and for whatever reason, I'm just not that into it. Wouldn't say it's the worst book I've ever read, but everyone keeps talking about how awesome it is. I'm on chapter 4 and bored to death!

KEEP GOING. Trust me... they just have to kind of get the whole storyline laid out, but once it really gets going... holy *kitten*, it's amazing.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    The only book I've started and not finished yet was Eat Pray Love.... I enjoyed the movie but the book I just can't get into. I'm not a huge fan of the Game of Thrones series but I'm pushing my way through them so I can find out what happens (tho who know how long that will take since there are supposed to be 2 more books and this guys takes YEARS to write/release new ones......)
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I'm in the minority it seems of the "must finish no matter what" group. I don't come across it too often though, but that last book I just suffered through was What the ****ens by Gregory Maguire (of Wicked fame). I've really enjoyed nearly all his books (though I found Lost to be a bit boring), but this one was just painful.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I know I'm gonna be alone on this one, but I am reading The Hunger Games and for whatever reason, I'm just not that into it. Wouldn't say it's the worst book I've ever read, but everyone keeps talking about how awesome it is. I'm on chapter 4 and bored to death!

KEEP GOING. Trust me... they just have to kind of get the whole storyline laid out, but once it really gets going... holy *kitten*, it's amazing.

this!!! I had a hard time getting into the first book but once you hit a certain point you just can't put them down!
  • It's a toss up b/w the first Twilight novel and Skinny *****...they're both horribly written.
  • MaximMatt
    Options
    House of Leaves. Very Confusing. Very weird. Very dense.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I really tried to read "The Sound and The Fury", by Faulkner, it's a "should" book, but I hated it. I couldn't figure anything out, and I just discarded it. Also, "The Hours". I just can't figure out what the hell is going on, who the characters are, if they are imaginary, I just get confused every time I try that one.

I read it, but had to get a set of cliff notes to be able to follow along. Brutal!
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I'm not much of a reader to begin with, so I haven't read many books in my life. But the worst one I've ever read was "Song of Solomon." I was forced to read it in college.

In a nutshell, it's about a boy who wishes he could fly. I'll save you the long and oh-so-boring details, but that's the gist of it...a boy who wishes he could fly. Lemme tell ya, reading this book was a very frustrating and borderline painful experience. Ho-lee crap, was it awful.

At the end of the book, the kid is up on a cliff, or something, and leaps into the sky. The teacher went around the room asking everyone what they think happened to him, and people were saying stuff like, "I think he flew because it was all he ever wanted to do," or, "I think he flew because it was his dream." When he got to me, I said, "The kid's dead." The teacher asked me why I thought that, and I said, "Because PEOPLE...CAN'T...FLY!!!!! I don't care how hard he was flapping his arms, he's a red spot at the bottom of the canyon!"

He didn't like my answer. I got a "C." :)

BAHAHAHA! This made my day.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't read bad books. I do research first. I can't get into anything nonfiction. I love to read things that can't happen in real life because reading for me is escaping real life. I love reading but I know from the first few pages if I will like it or not or if it has good reviews I will read a little past that point. The Twilight series is a wonderful series and it is very well written....seems like ya'll don't remember what it is like to be young and in love. I'm only 23 but I remember how it feels to be so head over heels for someone that you would do anything for them or to get their attention. It's obviously a great book or it wouldn't be a best seller. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Amen! I was reading the Twilight books right after I started dating my husband. I call him My Edward and the first time he told me "Be Safe," I got the warm fuzzies inside. "Take care of my heart, I've left it with you." :-)