Replies

• laurabell86
    laurabell86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Twilight = worst book ever
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I have read a great many books that I just couldn't really enjoy. I will finish them all, but I will suffer through some of them. The only one I remember TRULY hating, was "the scarlet letter". It was just such a boring read to me. I liked most of the classics, but this one was just murder to get through for me. I know it is one of the ones that everyone *should* like, but Jesus! It was hell.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine. It's a free book in the Kindle store and it would have to be because no one would willing pay for that garbage.

Basically it's about a modern-day woman experiencing hypnotic regression of her past life 800 years ago. She's in a love triangle in the past and it affects her relationships in the present because the men are reincarnated from the same era. She gets accused of cheating in the present because she had an affair 800 YEARS AGO. It's just ridiculous. Every time I found something ridiculous in the plot (jealous men, etc) I would scream "800 YEARS!" and now it's my fiance's and mine's favorite way to declare something as completely terrible and asinine.

Also I'm fairly certain the author has a rape fetish because the protagonist gets raped every 2 chapters or so, in both the past and present. Honestly, I could write my own book about how fiercely terrible this book is.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I know I'm gonna be alone on this one, but I am reading The Hunger Games and for whatever reason, I'm just not that into it. Wouldn't say it's the worst book I've ever read, but everyone keeps talking about how awesome it is. I'm on chapter 4 and bored to death!

KEEP GOING. Trust me... they just have to kind of get the whole storyline laid out, but once it really gets going... holy *kitten*, it's amazing.

this!!! I had a hard time getting into the first book but once you hit a certain point you just can't put them down!

I haven't tried reading these yet but the whole concept makes me feel weird. My husband is excited for the movie and I am just thinking "Oh my goodness, could this ever happen?" It's just scary to me.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Whatever the first book in the Twilight series was - made such an impression that I didn't go any further. Hated it!

WORST BOOK EVER - The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold............
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I mostly read true crime but for a change i decided to read my first Stephen King book "IT" im down to my last 100 pages finally.. I might read another one of his not sure yet. Im like the above poster though if im not captivated early on I toss it. Great post though Id like to see what NOT to read.

All I can say is I hope you don't end up with the same feelings on King that I have. Love his books. Hate his endings.

The ending of the Dark Tower nearly killed me. I love King, and I will concede that some of his works are stronger than others. I had purposefully waited to read the Dark Tower series until book 7 was out. He almost killed m the Summer he released The Green Mile one portion at a time. So I just waited, knowing that The Dark Tower was his masterpiece.

I won't spoil it for anyone, but I was just about destroyed at that ending.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a reader to begin with, so I haven't read many books in my life. But the worst one I've ever read was "Song of Solomon." I was forced to read it in college.

In a nutshell, it's about a boy who wishes he could fly. I'll save you the long and oh-so-boring details, but that's the gist of it...a boy who wishes he could fly. Lemme tell ya, reading this book was a very frustrating and borderline painful experience. Ho-lee crap, was it awful.

At the end of the book, the kid is up on a cliff, or something, and leaps into the sky. The teacher went around the room asking everyone what they think happened to him, and people were saying stuff like, "I think he flew because it was all he ever wanted to do," or, "I think he flew because it was his dream." When he got to me, I said, "The kid's dead." The teacher asked me why I thought that, and I said, "Because PEOPLE...CAN'T...FLY!!!!! I don't care how hard he was flapping his arms, he's a red spot at the bottom of the canyon!"

He didn't like my answer. I got a "C." :)

Oh, I liked that one! I had to read it as part of a black literature and classical reception class. But then again I love Toni Morrison. I agree the ending was pretty idiotic though-your professor should have given you credit for being honest.
  • elfie9863
    Options
    DRAGON TATOO SERIES READERS!!! do not give up. As someone mentioned above about The Hunger Games series, there is a lot of storyline to the Tatoo Girl Series. It is such a fantastic read once you get into it. If you finish the first book, there is no way you cannot read the other two. My opinion, the second one is the best as far as action, but you still will want to read the last one to see what happens to Salander and Mikel. I also saw all the movies, foreign and the new one.

As far as vomitous: anything with the word Harlequin on it; Danielle Steele; Jacquine Suzanne; I just hate stupid romance stuff.
  • laurabell86
    laurabell86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree Moby **** was god awful! I read about 50 pages or so and was gonna persevere (even though it was pretty terrible) but then I got to the section where he just describes types of whales for 30 page...WHAT?!?! Needless to say I gave up.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I mostly read true crime but for a change i decided to read my first Stephen King book "IT" im down to my last 100 pages finally.. I might read another one of his not sure yet. Im like the above poster though if im not captivated early on I toss it. Great post though Id like to see what NOT to read.

All I can say is I hope you don't end up with the same feelings on King that I have. Love his books. Hate his endings.

The ending of the Dark Tower nearly killed me. I love King, and I will concede that some of his works are stronger than others. I had purposefully waited to read the Dark Tower series until book 7 was out. He almost killed m the Summer he released The Green Mile one portion at a time. So I just waited, knowing that The Dark Tower was his masterpiece.

i hear ya! I wish I would have stopped where he said stop! lol
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @. I have tried numerous times and it just isn't happening. I also only read Shakespeare when I have to otherwise, I don't get what everyone is so excited about.

It's unfortunate that people emphasize reading Shakespeare. His plays were meant to be watched, not read (I mean no one suggests someone read the Toy Story script instead of watching the movie...). Watch a really good version of something like The Twelfth Night, or A Comedy Of Errors, and it's very enjoyable.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

I cried yell and threw things for an hour at the end of the Dark Tower seires. I don't think anything has ever made me that mad. :sad:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I've always hated Stephen King books, but I love all of the movies made to his books! I know that's strange, because the book is always better than the movie, most people say. I found that to be true with every other book, but with S.K, I just can't stand his style of writing.

oh NO! I am 100 percent opposite. I adore his books, and the movies they make are almost always a travesty of the book.

The Shining, good. Sleepwalkers...SO SO SO bad.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I agree Moby **** was god awful! I read about 50 pages or so and was gonna persevere (even though it was pretty terrible) but then I got to the section where he just describes types of whales for 30 page...WHAT?!?! Needless to say I gave up.

This! And it is considered a classic?! How?! By what standards?! I hated each and every sentence with a passion that could not be quenched. I wouldn't read that book again if someone held a gun to my head!
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The time travelers wife, I think im in a minority though as it seems pretty popular!
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Catcher in the Rye. We were forced to read it in high school. It didnt take me far into the book to realize that it was garbage that was being critically acclaimed simply because of controversy. One of the first reports we had to write in class on the first bit of the book I didnt even answer the teachers question. I wrote a 2 page essay on why and what I disliked about the book. She proceeded to tell me I would get an 80 on any assignments and tests relating to the book and I didnt have to finish it.

Apparently my essay was good enough and she liked that I was able to express *why* I didnt like it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

i hear ya! I wish I would have stopped where he said stop! lol

Impossible. I daresay there isn't anyone alive who read their way through that massive series, got to the place where Stephen says, OK, don't go on, you won't like this....and then actually stopped. I can't imagine anyone who could show that much restraint.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Anything by Dean Koontz, I think he writes like a five year old kid and it drives me nuts that he's one of the most popular authors in the country. People compare him to King just because they're both horror genre, but it's apples and oranges. King has genuine talent.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I heartily agree. Koontz is good for one thing only, passing time while stuck in an airport. Since him and Danielle Steele are the only 2 authors ever available at a newsstand LOL