HOSTON FATTEST CITY IN AMERICA! WHERE DOES YOUR CITY RANK?

Options

Replies

• TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I live in the south. There's nothing fit about the south. Heck we have biscuits and chocolate gravy and they fry everything.everything
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    We're (Denver) the top fittest, but we're also the top in cocaine use, so I'm not sure you'd call us the healthiest.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I live in the south. There's nothing fit about the south. Heck we have biscuits and chocolate gravy and they fry everything
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo, go Denver :) I Do have to say, we're pretty cool when it comes to biking and stuff....
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The rest of the top 10 FATTEST cities are Detroit, Mich; Cleveland, Ohio; Memphis, Tenn.; Tampa, Fla.; Las Vegas, Nev.; El Paso, Texas; Baltimore, Md.; Los Angeles and Louisville, Ky.

Finishing up the top 10 fittest cities are San Francisco, Calif.; Albuquerque, N.M.; Oakland, Calif.; Boston; Seattle, Wash.; Denver, Colo.; San Diego, Calif.; Minneapolis, Minn. and Honolulu, Hawaii.

This is so weird to me, because I live in LA, and my husband I were both commenting when we went home for the holidays (Boston area) how many MORE fat people we saw in New England than we were used to seeing in Los Angeles on a daily basis. It was really really weird for both of us because we never really thought about just how many obese/overweight people there are when we lived there, but being away and living in a city where there are so so many skinny people it really becomes noticeable when it isn't like that. Sure, there are definitely obese people in Los Angeles, but I think that the sheer volume of people is so high that the proportion of them seems way less than in in New England.

What's crazy is that our observations are the exact opposite of what this survey suggests- Boston being in the top ten fit and Los Angeles being in the top ten fat! So weird!
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Houston has been pretty consistently the worst. A lot has to do with the layout that discourages walking and encourages driving short distances. That and relative poverty.

Statistically rural areas are fatter because people in those areas have become accustomed to driving everywhere.

LA doesn't surprise me. You probably just don't go to the areas of LA where the fat people live.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    7th fittest here...Denver Colorado.

I did notice this. Went back to Jersey in October..and noticed how much bigger everyone else was...just making an observation...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I grew up right across the river from Portland. It's a gorgeous area - plenty of scenic and natural areas and activities. I just can't handle the near-constant gloominess of the weather, though. Very depressing for me. I highly recommend a visit, though!
  • jesirabbit02
    Options
    great if I move to the fattest places, I'd be hott...sweet...
  • batesss
    Options
    yeah boston!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    According to this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4667826.stm (which is a bit dated)
    I lived in between two of the fattest cities in the UK (Liverpool & Manchester)

My hometown is full of fatties - they offer 12 weeks free slimming club & exercise classes on the National Health in our town because its so bad! x
  • skinnyack
    Options
    I have family in Houston (I'm from San Diego). I didn't necessarily notice it in the people BUT I was surprised to go into a fast food joint and not have any option other than fried chicken, coleslaw and potatoes. Haha- WHAT? Not even a side salad? Or a "vegetarian" option like grilled cheese?! Or a "healthy" option like grilled chicken sandwich?! You should've seen the look I shot the fiance... I'm sure there probably are places like that in SD but I guess I've never been to one
  • biff54928
    Options
    hmmm makes me wonder about Wisconsin... Since we are known for drinking and cheese lol
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I live in San Diego and that doesn't surprise me. The weather is definitely optimal for getting out and doing stuff all year long.
  • myth4ever
    Options
    Not a product of my environment.....HOUSTON's new Standard!!!!!!!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised there's not a WI city on the fattest list

But if it was a drinking contest, we'd have the rest of you beat hands down!
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Haha figures! I live in Houston! But fightin the power so hopefully we can break the statistic. I can say with confidence that the BBQ breakfast tacos and kolaches are the killers. :)
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh geez Baltimore...can't say I disagree though.
  • Albuquerque, New Mexico represent! :)
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Originally from San Diego, California. Still somewhere around there. Yay for us San Diegans!