Protein Intake

2»

Replies

• gflynt
    gflynt Posts: 32 Member
    this poor guy asks us what time it is and we are gonna build him a watch

Actually, Dave, the poster did not ask a question. He simply stated that he disagrees with the suggested amount of protein that MFP gave him because he is a "powerlifter." He then requested comments on this opinion.

Comments is what he got.
  • rickykc
    rickykc Posts: 1
    many sites, books, people, etc. recommend 1 GRAM intake of protein per pound of your body weight.... that means a 180 pound man should take in somewhere close to 170-185 grams of the stuff. you should be getting most of it from powders and shakes....but remember..... if you are going to follow this exact guideline..... you may want to opt for something like soy protein powder because whey protein powder, egg protein( and any other form of protein that comes from animals or animal products)...has a lot of cholesterol... whey protein has about 22% of your cholesterol needs in every serving.... BUT you must remember that this guideline should ONLY be followed if you take part in extensive wight training, exercise, and other VERY demanding physical activities.... or else your body will most likely reject it, you will become sick, and all of that protein will go to waste....... etc...

my protein powder intake is this every day

Morning: i will put protein powder in milk/water/ or shake ( with fruit juice, low fat yogurt, fruits, and ice cubes) and have it with breakfast.... the protein intake will be about 27grams (thats one scoop of my powder)

Lunch time: again i will have one more scoop (another 27 grams) and have lunch

t

Late After noon/ Early evening: have another two scoops (another 54 grams) POST WORK OUT....ALWAYS take a protein shake or drink AFTER a workout.

THis is a total 108 grams....and the rest comes from the other protein sources(ie: meat, peanut butter, eggs whites, etc)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    many sites, books, people, etc. recommend 1 GRAM intake of protein per pound of your body weight.... that means a 180 pound man should take in somewhere close to 170-185 grams of the stuff. you should be getting most of it from powders and shakes....but remember..... if you are going to follow this exact guideline..... you may want to opt for something like soy protein powder because whey protein powder, egg protein( and any other form of protein that comes from animals or animal products)...has a lot of cholesterol... whey protein has about 22% of your cholesterol needs in every serving.... BUT you must remember that this guideline should ONLY be followed if you take part in extensive wight training, exercise, and other VERY demanding physical activities.... or else your body will most likely reject it, you will become sick, and all of that protein will go to waste....... etc...

my protein powder intake is this every day

Morning: i will put protein powder in milk/water/ or shake ( with fruit juice, low fat yogurt, fruits, and ice cubes) and have it with breakfast.... the protein intake will be about 27grams (thats one scoop of my powder)

Lunch time: again i will have one more scoop (another 27 grams) and have lunch

t

Late After noon/ Early evening: have another two scoops (another 54 grams) POST WORK OUT....ALWAYS take a protein shake or drink AFTER a workout.

THis is a total 108 grams....and the rest comes from the other protein sources(ie: meat, peanut butter, eggs whites, etc)

Actually most should come from NATURAL sources, and the only sites/books/people that recommend one 1g per lb are fitness magazines and paid bodybuilders who, in large part, abuse GH because only the INBF actually does rigorous testing for their shows. And why do they promote that much protein? So people who don't know any better will go out and buy the whey protein from the companies that sponsor and pay for their competitions.

Soy protein powder isn't going to contain the full array of amino acids like animal products will, not to mention there is some evidence that the phytoestrogens may negatively effect males if consumed in large amounts. Not to mention that living off protein power will be far more expensive than getting protein from your normal diet.

No offense, but it sounds like you got all this information from Muscle & Fitness mag.
This discussion has been closed.