Healthy Cereals?

Options
13»

Replies

• ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have Alpen Original or Oatmeal (Rude Health brand) most mornings.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat cereal for breakfast because I never feel full afterwards and because most of them have too much sugar. My 4 year old daughter loves Barbara's Shredded Spoonfuls and I will often eat it as an afternoon snack. It's very low in sugar and high in fiber and made with all natural ingredients.
  • mindysreadyforchange
    Options
    I like Grape-Nuts! They are good with milk and in yogurt!

for 1/2 cup (which goes a long way)

200 cal
    1 gram fat
    0 Sat fat
    0 Trans fat
    290 mg sodium
    48 g carbs
    7 g fiber
    5 g sugar
    6 g Protein
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean - original, NOT CRUNCH. Just sweet enough without needing to add dried fruit or anything and tons of protein. :heart:
  • cff1031
    Options
    I wish I could eat Kashi but I just don't find it tasty. I eat Quaker Oat Squares. They taste good and stay with me through the morning so I don't get hungry too early.
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    Fiber One Honey Squares! Only 80 calories for a 3/4cup serving.
  • star87cc
    Options
    After being a huge fan of the GI lifestyle I looked for whole cereals that were low in sugars (to avoid that mid morning slump) and they were really hard to find! My beloved muesli was nearly 10g of sugar a bowl! (and that was the unsweetened version)!! and Special K was even higher!! :'(

Unfortunately I dont seem to function on warm breakfasts it just doesnt seem normal to me, and Im not a fan of sloppy foods (thats a whole other issue lol) so porridge is out for me!

However! my miracle cereal is weetabix! 0.7g of sugar per 2 bisks! Unbelievable! Most people turn there nose up at me eating them plain but I love them just the way there are! ^_^
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Oats so Simple porridge is great! Easy to make and keeps me full till lunch! Ha ha I sound like an advert

http://quaker.co.uk/oat_so_simple

i bought these recently and it was not for me. i found it abit too smooth. i like my oatmeal with abit of bite.
    these are the ones i have:
    http://www.rudehealth.com/our-food/organic-porridge
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just got into Grape Nuts.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I love rice or corn Chex - 110 calories per cup. I eat a cup of those with a cup of almond milk for a tasty 150 calorie snack.
  • athensguy
    Options
    ......researchers found rats lived longer on plain water than with puffed wheat cereal. The study found rats lived over a year when fed unprocessed whole wheat. Yet when that wheat was puffed into a cereal and fed to the animals, it killed them off in less than two weeks. Rats fed plain water lived for two months, far longer than those fed cereal.
    This does not even account for the infamous health effects of the corn syrup, fructose and other sugars found in most breakfast cereals, nor the disease-producing effects of trans fats and damaged oils......

http://lindaprout.com/nodietblog/2008/07/21/death-by-breakfast-cereals/

Ah, "researchers". Unpublished studies are the best kind, because without them I wouldn't know that I should have been dead years ago.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ......researchers found rats lived longer on plain water than with puffed wheat cereal. The study found rats lived over a year when fed unprocessed whole wheat. Yet when that wheat was puffed into a cereal and fed to the animals, it killed them off in less than two weeks. Rats fed plain water lived for two months, far longer than those fed cereal.
    This does not even account for the infamous health effects of the corn syrup, fructose and other sugars found in most breakfast cereals, nor the disease-producing effects of trans fats and damaged oils......

http://lindaprout.com/nodietblog/2008/07/21/death-by-breakfast-cereals/

Ah, "researchers". Unpublished studies are the best kind, because without them I wouldn't know that I should have been dead years ago.

LOL! So true - I Love this
  • Funright55
    Options
    Now that sounds like a bunch of ideas worth trying...because most of these posts about cereal being the enemy are making me sad :(
    I love cereal (grape nuts are my favorite, but I love most of them!), I don't really like oatmeal, but what you can do is just eat the oats in milk without cooking, and it's a lot like cereal (like a mueslix). Add fruit and it can keep you from missing the less healthy foods somewhat. I'm even curious about toasting them in the oven to crisp them up before hand, though I've never tried that.
  • athensguy
    Options
    Any suggestions for good tasting, nutritious, and low calorie cereal? I've been eating multigrain Cheerios and Kellogg's crunchy nut.

I like Quaker's Oats and Honey cereal. There's a Cascadian Farms version of the same thing that I have in the pantry but have not tried yet. Also, I'm eating a Mom's Best cereal in the mornings, and it's pretty similar to Honey Bunches of Oats. My main selection criteria for things like cereal is lack of high fructose corn syrup. I also like to see fiber. I pretty often just get the buy one get one free sale at Publix if it passes my criteria.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If I have cereal I usually only have -- Kashi Go Lean's (the original one!) or Trader Joes bite sized mini wheats!