You can eat that?

Options
How did we know that the things we eat now are edible? All throughout history, someone had to be the first one to eat some plant, fungus or animal and tell the whole world "yup, that's ok to eat" and enters the food chain. Then again someone also died after discovering that something is not safe to eat. What was the last thing that we discovered we can eat?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess glue.

On a related note, I watched a lecture a few months ago on youtube, where a guy was predicting that eating bugs would become more acceptable as food becomes more scarce. Seems plausible.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    My guess would be Grain...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess glue.

On a related note, I watched a lecture a few months ago on youtube, where a guy was predicting that eating bugs would become more acceptable as food becomes more scarce. Seems plausible.

What about Soilent Green?
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Rocky Mt Oysters. Not sure when it was discovered. But am curious on how it was discovered.:huh:
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How about lobster? Who caught one of those things, looked at it, and thought "Yum!!"!??!?! :noway:
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess glue.

http://insectsarefood.com/
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Rocky Mt Oysters. Not sure when it was discovered. But am curious on how it was discovered.:huh:

Native Americans is my guess, they didn't waste anything.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Watched a show on strange addictions the other day, and the lady was eating dry wall. Can't imagine what ever made her decide to try that!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Haha YES. I want to know who the first person was to say "hmm I think I'll go ahead and eat the balls off of this bull too!"
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Jelly fish. Oceans are over fished an people get desperate, so now they are claiming those are a delicacy.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'll ask the obvious one, when someone found you could milk a cow, what on earth did they think they were doing lol
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    I'm going to guess glue.

http://insectsarefood.com/

Interesting, I might try a chocolate covered bug if I ever come across one
  • mrsred79
    Options
    I love me some dairy products...but I often wonder who was the first person to think "Hmmmm....let's squeeze this dangly thingie here and then drink whatever comes out!"
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Lobster (and or crab - same kind of situation). I mean seriously, someone had to be super desperate for food in order to:

1) decide this big bug looking creature might be tasty
    2) figure out not only do you have to cook the meat (unless you want to just suck the slime out) but
    3) you have to work REALLY hard to crack open that shell! Even during soft shell season, you need tools or your hands are going to be all cut up.

I'm glad they did, that is some gooood eatin', but I always wonder about the process...
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I love me some dairy products...but I often wonder who was the first person to think "Hmmmm....let's squeeze this dangly thingie here and then drink whatever comes out!"

..... or eggs ....
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It's entirely cultural and goes back to the beginning of our genus Homo, who were a hunting-gathering people. As their tool technology advanced they were able to efficiently hunt larger game and eventually the Neolithic Revolution brought along the domestication of plants and agriculture. From what I understand it was during this time they became more dependant on a smaller range of foods, but were able to control when it was harvested etc.

But if u were implying like: who says we can't mix jujubes with salsa i have no clue :) In some places of the world eating bugs has always been seen as completely normal so it really all depends on what our culture decides.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Whoever figures out how to get Asian Carp and kudzu on our regular menus will be doing our eco system a huge favor!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I'm going to guess glue.

We sell numerous bugs at work to feed to reptiles, not tempted to eat one yet!

But I have seen similar on a tv program saying we will in future be more accepting towards eating them!
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Haha YES. I want to know who the first person was to say "hmm I think I'll go ahead and eat the balls off of this bull too!"

LOL. I guess the person had the last pick :smile:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Watched a show on strange addictions the other day, and the lady was eating dry wall. Can't imagine what ever made her decide to try that!

Oh gosh, yeah, that TV show is crazy (but addictive!). The new season is starting and there is a woman who eats nail polish. :huh: